Smoke while brewing

MrTexas2

Brewed up a small batch of primo today and got a bit more smoke than usual.

I used the same method I always use, but this batch is smaller than what I usually make. I normally brew up 50-100 grams of test enanthate and I brew over an open flame (been doing it this way for about 8 years). I brew primarily test and only occasionally make other compounds. Reading up on this forum I see guys like to use a hot plate. I normally just go by site and stir constantly and the gear is slightly swirling around (I use Grapseed oil) which means it is about at the right temp, a bit over 300 degrees or so. I have never had a problem using this method and my bloodwork always comes back indicating that my result is pretty much exactly what I expected. I brew pretty much for TRT purposes and keep my test potency to around 220 mgs/ml.

However this primo was only 20 grams and I made about 190 mls. I assume that since it was a smaller amount my normal flame caused it to reach a higher temperature, but the swirling of the liquid (gentle and steady) looked the same as always. However when stirring it produced a lot of smoke. It was heating for 7-8 ( total period liquid was hot/swirling not counting cool down) minutes and smokiness was between 5-8 minutes, so it was at a potentially destructive heat level (too high) for about 3 minutes.

I am going to filter and then test soon. Am I in for any bad surprise?

EDIT: I did find this quote from Xkawn: "Your still good. A little smoke never hurt nobody." That explains why I never had a problem with my carer batches and a small amount of smoke. Just had more than usual today.

Last edited:
Reaching smoke point = destructive

Just use a hot plate and get it to melting point. That's all you need, it will dissolve into the carrier oil perfectly. You don't even need any solvents (BB) for most compounds.

I have made 200mg/mL test propionate into various carrier oils without any issue, with no BB, only 0.9% BA. It is PIP-free.

Reaching smoke point = destructive

Just use a hot plate and get it to melting point. That's all you need, it will dissolve into the carrier oil perfectly. You don't even need any solvents (BB) for most compounds.

I have made 200mg/mL test propionate into various carrier oils without any issue, with no BB, only 0.9% BA. It is PIP-free.

Correct, and thank you for the advice. Yes I will be acquiring a hot plate. However my question is, how much destruction might I have incurred via 2-3 minutes of smoking?

I am prepping a gal for a Wellness competition and I don't want to take any chances that the primo may be problematic. She is on Anavar I made up for her (responding well to only 10 mgs/day). I am going to test the primo myself for PIP, but testing for potency will take a while. The test will be me using it. I am only on 250 test/week so even a small amount of primo should be noticeable after several weeks.

The problem is I can't risk that time period on her. So, I will just keep her on Var if there is a chance I damaged potency. Xkawn suggests damage is. minimal, but I would like to hear other opinions.

Thank you.

Correct, and thank you for the advice. Yes I will be acquiring a hot plate. However my question is, how much destruction might I have incurred via 2-3 minutes of smoking?

I am prepping a gal for a Wellness competition and I don't want to take any chances that the primo may be problematic. She is on Anavar I made up for her (responding well to only 10 mgs/day). I am going to test the primo myself for PIP, but testing for potency will take a while. The test will be me using it. I am only on 250 test/week so even a small amount of primo should be noticeable after several weeks.

The problem is I can't risk that time period on her. So, I will just keep her on Var if there is a chance I damaged potency. Xkawn suggests damage is. minimal, but I would like to hear other opinions.

Thank you.
How much the compound degraded couldn't be said without scientifically testing it. Reaching the smoke point even for a few minutes from what I know, will significantly degrade it.

A good alternative to a hot plate is an Instant Pot pressure cooker. It's essentially a very powerful hot plate with a pressure cooker, so you can use it for sterilization. It is able to maintain 115-118C temperature for an hour, using it is how I am able to successfully brew high mg/mL compounds without solvents and without PIP.

Check my brewing thread: My brew method