Storage conditions and dimer

janoshik

Subscriber
Some testing on storage conditions and dimer relationship was conducted. 2 separate vials tested each test.
This was done as a low effort testing out of personal interest while investigating something else, not a study intended for a publication.

Sample X HGH, possibly pharmaceutical grade, but I'm unable to verify:

Arrival to the lab - 2nd of June 2023: 2.298%, 2.261%
Stored at room temp - 21nd of July 2023: 4.075%, 2.991%
Stored 25 days at room temp and remaining time in the fridge at 4°C - 21nd of July 2023: 2.785%, 3.08%
Stored at an oven with max temp 50°C and average temp 40°C - 21nd of July 2023: 3.765%, 3.672%
Stored taped to outside of the window with label taken off, on the sunny side of the building - 21nd of July 2023: 10.657%, 15.513%

Now some graphs, because everyone loves the graphs:
Upon arrival + window:
1690368238979-png.262278

Zoomed in:
1690368282247.png

Upon arrival + window + stored at room temp zoomed in:
1690368326511.png

Upon arrival + window + stored at room temp + stored half the time in the fridge zoomed in:
1690368355829.png
Upon arrival + window + stored at room temp + stored half the time in the fridge + oven zoomed in:
1690368379367.png
Upon arrival + window + stored at room temp + stored half the time in the fridge + oven + completely different low dimer generic sample zoomed in:
1690368461971.png

Attachments

• 1690368238979.png
    1690368238979.png
    145 KB · Views: 969
Last edited:
So the conclusion is, don't store HGH outside the house and stick it in the fridge.

Got it boss.

Those are some pretty direct and to the point results!

Were these vial reconstituted before storing? I am guessing they were.

I tend to wonder how much was due to heat and how much was from exposure to light.

did you read the part of the post that mentioned storing samples in a warm oven?
Yes i did. Did you see the part about being taped to the window? If the heat would have been the same for both, that would have given even more info.But with out knowing the temp in the vial on the window it leaves a question mark to me.

Yes i did. Did you see the part about being taped to the window? If the heat would have been the same for both, that would have given even more info.But with out knowing the temp in the vial on the window it leaves a question mark to me.
2 things worth considering:

1. There is not a meaningful difference in the dimer present between the room temperature storage and 50 degree oven storage samples
2. Samples taped to the outside of a window are probably not going to be in sustained temperatures of >50 degrees celsius, but they will be exposed to a lot more light

Given you can sort of assume temperature temp to be lower than window temp, but at least not so significantly higher as to compare to oven temp vs. room temp, it stands to reason you're mostly isolating for light exposure at that point.

1. There is not a meaningful difference in the dimer present between the room temperature storage and 50 degree oven storage samples
2. Samples taped to the outside of a window are probably not going to be in sustained temperatures of >50 degrees celsius, but they will be exposed to a lot more light

Given you can sort of assume temperature temp to be lower than window temp, but at least not so significantly higher as to compare to oven temp vs. room temp, it stands to reason you're mostly isolating for light exposure at that point.
I can understand what you are saying but as my X was a research scientist and i hung around other scientist and helped her with her experiments in the lab on occasion. So i look at things without assuming or anything else. I just look at the data. Being tapped to the window could easily be hotter on occasion. It seems there is also more of a chance of condensation from temp changes if there is even the most minute break in the seal witch i think could possibly happen with heating and cooling etc. I very much appreciate Jano doing these sort of tests.

Next time I'm on the prowl for pharma rhGH, I'll be checking every window I come across; bonus points for finding @janoshik's secret lair.

Bat signal, meh. Geno signal, yes please.

Last edited:
I can understand what you are saying but as my X was a research scientist and i hung around other scientist and helped her with her experiments in the lab on occasion. So i look at things without assuming or anything else. I just look at the data. Being tapped to the window could easily be hotter on occasion. It seems there is also more of a chance of condensation from temp changes if there is even the most minute break in the seal witch i think could possibly happen with heating and cooling etc. I very much appreciate Jano doing these sort of tests.
Nice bro. My ex was an irritatingly proud MENSA member and always bragged about it, so I too consider myself a genius.

So...store your GH in the fridge pretty much always? Right?
Well strictly this shows acceptable dimer contents for all conditions except the insane one. I do think that it's good practice to just, if possible, use your fridge as your storage for reconstituted rhGH if possible, because it applies to all preparations and not just this one sample; but also not fret if you cannot do so.

Besides dimer (dimerisation), potency loss can occur by stressors that include high temps (incubation) and freezing. Incubation just breaks down the protein (proteolysis), and freezing causes particulate formation.

I hadn't actually thought that incubation effects dimerisation. @buck earlier made a point about condensation, that does actually make a lot of sense.

Last edited:

Light exposure cant u just put it in a bag or box or something to not let light in on the vial?