Storage of peptides

poolshockguy

I see old mixed reviews. Soon should I keep unopened peptide vials in dark room temp or fridge? What if the fridge breaks and then they get warm from a heat cycle from no cooling?

I see old mixed reviews. Soon should I keep unopened peptide vials in dark room temp or fridge? What if the fridge breaks and then they get warm from a heat cycle from no cooling?

Then it'll be no worse than having kept them at room / shipping temp for that amount of time.

A temperature cycle is only capable of inflicting peptide damage during a phase change, ie, to/from a frozen state.

Otherwise, in the absence of a phase change, the lower the temp the slower the degradation.

Temperature determines the rate of chemically induced processes of decomposition. .

Phase changes cause physical damage, as freeze/thaw cycles create water crystals that grow and shrink, breaking peptide chains.

Last edited:
The pharmaceutical standards setting organization, USP, determined some peptides degrade less than 1% over 3 years at refrigeration temps. It's entirely possible a single freeze/thaw cycle could induce more degradation than that.

Every peptide has different characteristics. Temperature stability and moisture content. The idea that freezing is the sole answer for ideal peptide storage comes from a simpleton's view that everything stored in a freezer lasts longer,

What we know for certain is that refrigeration temps cause the greatest slowdown in degradation without risk of phase change induced damage.

Pharmacies are equipped, by law, to have medical grade freezer storage for those products that require storage in that condition. Frozen drugs are shipped via a carefully monitored cold chain.

There's not a single pharmaceutical lyophilized peptide shipped or stored frozen, only refrigerated.

Here you go again. Writing novels without real data.

peptides degrade less than 1% over 3 years at refrigeration temps. It's entirely possible a single freeze/thaw cycle could induce more degradation than that.

1. Degradation is determined by many things but, for UGL, is generally faster than that.

2. No, a single freeze/thaw cycle does not demonstrate this in the tests performed so far.

So, please stop sharing your ideas/thoughts that are made up out of thin air. Do you just pick a side and then start making things up as you go?

Or, join in on the many tests I and others are doing to get actual answers rather than spewing nonsense broscience. To Freeze or Not To Freeze: Lyophilized Peptides

I read freezer is bad for them , cycles temps

The bottom line is this:

Refrigerator temps offer the vast majority of preservation benefits for peptides, with zero risk of phase change damage.

Freezer temps offer very slightly more preservation, less than 1% less degradation over the course of years, at the potential risk of much more damage from phase changes.

The added benefit just doesn't seem worth the potential risk unless you're looking for many many years of storage. And if thats the case, a -80c cryfreezer for $1-2k would be the way.

Sponsors