Trump Timeline ... Trumpocalypse

THREAD: I want to take a moment to elaborate why we should be so concerned that Jim Clapper, John Brennan, Admiral McRaven, Mike Hayden, and other officials feel it necessary to speak out against Trump:

1) Lost amid the controversy last week about Trump yanking Brennan's security clearance is just how unusual it is for any of these officials to be speaking publicly—and that fact alone should be cause for concern....

2) This is no ordinary political criticism. Do not fall into Trump's trap that this is just more of the same, more partisan sniping from the Swamp from swamp creatures....

3) These officials are not—repeat not—monetizing their security clearances by being on cable TV. In fact, having covered many of these officials for years, I can tell you that they would prefer to be doing anything but being on TV.

4) What they are doing is offering the clearest warning they can, speaking—as intel officials are supposed to do—truth to power, telling hard truths, that America faces a dire situation.

10) I remain stunned by the words and warning that come from Brennan, Clapper, Hayden, McRaven, and others today.

11) They are telling us this is a dark and dangerous time. And they have spent their lives, devoted their entire careers, to protecting the country from just these sorts of events overseas. That they're warning us we're under threat at *home*. That's a warning worth listening to.

Last edited:

Michael Shannon is good at many things. He’s good at acting, obviously, or we probably wouldn’t be talking about him. He’s good at dressing like an adult Rugrat. He’s also good—better than most, even—at finding inventive new ways to insult Donald Trump.

Yes, Shannon despises the current president so much that every once in a while he says something so utterly ice-cold that it goes viral. This time around, the actor’s latest political slam arrives courtesy of an interview with Playboy (via Entertainment Weekly, as the issue is not available yet), in which Shannon was asked if he would ever want to play Trump in a project. Shannon’s answer is brief: “No.”

The interviewer presses Shannon, noting that the actor had already said he likes playing “bad men who are suffering.” To which Shannon replied, “Is he suffering?” Trump, in the actor’s mind, is actually “having the time of his fucking life” in the White House.

“He doesn’t even have to work,” he said. “All the hard work that most people have to do to be president of the United States, he just fucking skipped all that. The fucking guy doesn’t even know what’s in the Constitution. He doesn’t have any grasp of history or politics or law or anything. He’s just blindfolded throwing darts at the side of a bus.”

The reporter pressed the question again, asking what Shannon thinks might go through Trump’s head at night.

“He’s probably thinking ‘I want some fucking pussy,” Shannon responded. “I don’t know. I’m not going to remotely contemplate the notion that Trump is capable of deep reflection.”

“In any form?” the reporter asked.

“In any form!” Shannon replied. “It doesn’t happen. Fuck that guy. When he’s alone with his thoughts, he’s not capable of anything more complex than ‘I want some pussy and a cheeseburger. Maybe my wife will blow me if I tell her she’s pretty.’”

And there it is, Shannon’s latest anti-Trump invective. But as true Shannon-ologists know, this isn’t the first time he’s gone after Trump. Let’s take a look at some of his greatest hits, shall we?

There’s no better place to start than his November 14, 2016 interview with Metro, which took place just a few days after the election. Shannon was understandably aghast at the results, and was irritated (to put it mildly) with the contingent of older Trump supporters who voted him into office:

“There’s a lot of old people who need to realize they’ve had a nice life, and it’s time for them to move on. Because they’re the ones who go out and vote for these a-holes. If you look at the young people, between 18 and 25, if it was up to them Hillary would have been president. No offense to the seniors out there. My mom’s a senior citizen. But if you’re voting for Trump, it’s time for the urn.”

He also had this advice for young people who have family members who voted for Trump: “Fuck ’em. You’re an orphan now. Don’t go home. Don’t go home for Thanksgiving or Christmas. Don’t talk to them at all. Silence speaks volumes.”

Shannon was similarly angry in another interview that week with rogerebert.com. When asked if he could make sense of how Trump won, the actor gave this explanation:

“This country’s filled with ignorant jackasses. The big red dildo running through the middle of our country needs to be annexed to be its own country of moronic a-holes. You can call it the United States of Moronic Fucking Assholes. . . . It’s the worst thing that’s ever happened. It’s the worst. This guy is going to destroy civilization as we know it, and the earth, and all because of these people who don’t have any idea why they’re alive.”

In a interview with Vulture later that month, Shannon again—again!—went for the jugular:

“It’s just very strange that people derive hope from the personage of Donald Trump, because Donald Trump is devoid of hope. He’s a black hole. He is a soulless, evil piece of shit.”

Then, in a 2017 interview with Esquire, Shannon kept things a bit simpler by comparing Trump voters to Richard Kuklinski, the contract killer allegedly responsible for murdering hundreds of people; Shannon portrayed him in the 2013 film The Iceman: “I can find more excuses for what Richard Kuklinski did than I can for people who voted for Trump.” And then, of course, came the Playboy interview. Where will he strike next?

Sponsors

Latest posts