Trump Timeline ... Trumpocalypse

WASHINGTON — America’s farmers have been shut out of foreign markets, hit with retaliatory tariffs and lost lucrative contracts in the face of President Trump’s trade war. But a $12 billion bailout program Mr. Trump created to “make it up” to farmers has done little to cushion the blow, with red tape and long waiting periods resulting in few payouts so far.

According to the Department of Agriculture, just $838 million has been paid out to farmers since the first $6 billion pot of money was made available in September. Another pool of up to $6 billion is expected to become available next month. The government is unlikely to offer additional money beyond the $12 billion, according to Sonny Perdue, the agriculture secretary.

The program’s limitations are beginning to test farmers’ patience. The trade war shows no signs of easing, with China and the United States locked in a stalemate that has reduced American farmers’ access to a critical market for soybeans, farm equipment and other products. Europe is planning more retaliatory tariffs on top of those already imposed on American peanut butter and orange juice, and Canada and Mexico continue to levy taxes on American goods, including on pork and cheese.

Mr. Trump, who has had broad support in many farm states, still insists that his get-tough approach to trade will ultimately help American farmers, a position Mr. Perdue reiterated last month when he said farmers are “resilient” and can plan ahead for market conditions.

This is a slow moving catastrophe. Hundreds of thousands of people have been relying in good faith on promise of loan forgiveness, many have organized their professional lives around it. Suddenly it's evaporating. It's an appalling breach; hard to even know where the blame begins.

Last edited:

As the title indicates, the book does not paint a rosy picture of the atmosphere in the White House. An author’s note describes a venomous den in which people are constantly at each other’s throats. But Mr. Sims’s goal, according to people familiar with the book, was not to damage Mr. Trump. And he is said to have at times painted an unflattering portrait of himself.

Still, there has long been a wide gap between how Mr. Trump would like his White House to be perceived (a “well-oiled machine”) and the reality of how it operates. The common thread for most of the half-dozen books that have been published about the Trump administration has been the affirmation of real-time news accounts of chaos behind the White House gates.

Mr. Sims was represented by Matt Latimer and Keith Urbahn of Javelin DC, whose clients include James B. Comey, the former F.B.I. director who was fired by Mr. Trump in May 2017. Mr. Sims, whom Mr. Trump often saw as a buddy, was pulled into several meetings that were well beyond the scope of his duties, according to the announcement from the publisher.

He kept hundreds of pages of notes during his time at the White House, the people familiar with the project said. He was among the Trump loyalists who left this year after clashing with the White House chief of staff, John F. Kelly.

The White House declined to comment.

In the author’s note, Mr. Sims writes: “I suspect that posterity will look back on this bizarre time in history like we were living on the pages of a Dickens novel.” He added: “Lincoln famously had his Team of Rivals. Trump had his Team of Vipers. We served. We fought. We brought our egos. We brought our personal agendas and vendettas. We were ruthless. And some of us, I assume, were good people.”

“I was there. This is what I saw. And, unlike the many leakers in the White House, I have put my name on it,” he writes.

Electoral gain, not security, is this president’s goal. Two of us served in the military for many years; while all troops must obey the legal and ethical orders of civilian leaders, they need to have faith that those civilian leaders are using them for legitimate national security purposes. But the border deployment put the military right in the middle of the midterm elections, creating a nonexistent crisis to stimulate votes for one party.

When partisan actions like this occur, they violate civil-military traditions and erode that faith, with potentially long-term damage to the morale of the force and our democratic practice — all for electoral gain.

The deployment is a stunt, a dangerous one, and in our view, a misuse of the military that should have led Mr. Mattis to consider resigning, instead of acceding to this blatant politicization of America’s military.

White House officials have reportedly sent a letter to CNN’s Jim Acosta indicating they will suspend his press pass again once the https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/judge-hands-cnn-victory-in-its-bid-to-restore-jim-acostas-white-house-press-pass/2018/11/16/8bedd08a-e920-11e8-a939-9469f1166f9d_story.html?utm_term=.8aa631fa1ded (temporary restraining order) that required them to restore Acosta’s credentials expires, CNN reported late Sunday night. The 14-day order was issued Friday, and unless the judge extends it, it would expire at the end of the month.

The action was telegraphed Friday by press secretary Sarah Sanders, who said that the White House would only “temporarily reinstate” Acosta’s credentials in response to a court decision in his favor. Appearing on Fox News with her father, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee (R) who was substituting for Sean Hannity, she later said that “we’ve laid out in a letter to CNN and their team what we think were some of the missteps that their reporter made at the press conference on November 7th.”

In a ruling https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/judge-hands-cnn-victory-in-its-bid-to-restore-jim-acostas-white-house-press-pass/2018/11/16/8bedd08a-e920-11e8-a939-9469f1166f9d_story.html?utm_term=.8f6de186b89e (seen as a victory for press freedom), U.S. District Judge Timothy J. Kelly, appointed by President Trump, ordered the White House to temporarily restore Acosta’s press pass on Friday while he considers the merits of the case and the possibility of a permanent order.

He said the White House has an obligation to afford due process to Acosta before it can revoke or suspend his access, and found that the White House’s decision-making process in this case was “so shrouded in mystery that the government could not tell me . . . who made the decision.”

But on Sunday night, CNN’s Brian Stelter of “Reliable Sources” said in his newsletter that “White House officials sent Acosta a letter stating that his pass is set to be suspended again once the restraining order expires.”

President Donald Trump said that he plans to visit US troops in war zones, a remark that comes after he received widespread criticism for not visiting an American burial ground outside Paris, France, earlier this month and Arlington National Cemetery on Veterans Day.

"Well, I think you will see that happen. There are things that are being planned," Trump told Fox News' Chris Wallace when asked in an interview that aired on "Fox News Sunday" why he has not gone to war zones to see US troops and missed the cemetery visits. "We don't want to talk about it because of -- obviously because of security reasons and everything else."

"I've had an unbelievable busy schedule and I will be doing it," Trump said, adding that he doesn't think "anybody's been more with the military than I have, as a president."

Past presidents have visited troops in war zones at various points during their presidencies. Former President Barack Obama visited troops in Iraq a little over two months into his administration, and Afghanistan after being in office for just over a year. Former President George W. Bush visited Iraq about eight months after the start of the war there.

White House officials have reportedly sent a letter to CNN’s Jim Acosta indicating they will suspend his press pass again once the https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/judge-hands-cnn-victory-in-its-bid-to-restore-jim-acostas-white-house-press-pass/2018/11/16/8bedd08a-e920-11e8-a939-9469f1166f9d_story.html?utm_term=.8aa631fa1ded (temporary restraining order) that required them to restore Acosta’s credentials expires, CNN reported late Sunday night. The 14-day order was issued Friday, and unless the judge extends it, it would expire at the end of the month.

The action was telegraphed Friday by press secretary Sarah Sanders, who said that the White House would only “temporarily reinstate” Acosta’s credentials in response to a court decision in his favor. Appearing on Fox News with her father, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee (R) who was substituting for Sean Hannity, she later said that “we’ve laid out in a letter to CNN and their team what we think were some of the missteps that their reporter made at the press conference on November 7th.”

In a ruling https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/judge-hands-cnn-victory-in-its-bid-to-restore-jim-acostas-white-house-press-pass/2018/11/16/8bedd08a-e920-11e8-a939-9469f1166f9d_story.html?utm_term=.8f6de186b89e (seen as a victory for press freedom), U.S. District Judge Timothy J. Kelly, appointed by President Trump, ordered the White House to temporarily restore Acosta’s press pass on Friday while he considers the merits of the case and the possibility of a permanent order.

He said the White House has an obligation to afford due process to Acosta before it can revoke or suspend his access, and found that the White House’s decision-making process in this case was “so shrouded in mystery that the government could not tell me . . . who made the decision.”

But on Sunday night, CNN’s Brian Stelter of “Reliable Sources” said in his newsletter that “White House officials sent Acosta a letter stating that his pass is set to be suspended again once the restraining order expires.”

However, Fox said, the president’s concern was mostly selfish.

“I will say that, from people who have known the president well, who know the family well, it’s not necessarily concern for the fate of his child, because he’s concerned about the fate of his child,” Fox said. “He’s concerned that if Don Jr. is indicted that it could perhaps have implications on him.”

The reporter suggested Trump was an even worse father than the man who raised him.

“This is not someone who is a parent who is deeply affected by what will happen to his child, but instead by what could potentially happen to him,” Fox said. “I think all the time about that New York Times story about the taxes that the Trump family had paid, and it explained the depths to which Fred Trump went through to protect Donald Trump, to bail his son out every time he made mistakes.”