Trump Timeline ... Trumpocalypse

When the new year begins next week, President Trump will have an acting chief of staff, an acting secretary of defense, an acting attorney general, an acting EPA administrator, no interior secretary, and no ambassador to the United Nations. The officials originally in all those positions have either been fired or have quit in various measures of disgust or scandal. His former campaign chairman, deputy campaign chairman, national security adviser and personal lawyer have all pleaded guilty to crimes.

His campaign, his transition, his foundation and his business are all under investigation. The United States’ allies are horrified at the chaos Trump has brought to our foreign policy. The stock market is experiencing https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/for-investors-an-ugly-three-months-after-10-very-good-years/2018/12/21/adbc1946-03b1-11e9-b6a9-0aa5c2fcc9e4_story.html (wild swings) as investors are gripped with fear over what might be coming and what Trump might do to make it worse — a situation alarming enough that the treasury secretary https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2018/12/23/treasury-secretary-makes-unusual-pre-christmas-call-top-bank-ceos-amid-market-mayhem/ (felt the need) to call up the CEOs of major banks to assure them that everything is under control.

And, oh yeah, the government is shut down.

This, my friends, is exactly what we were afraid of when Trump somehow managed to get elected president two years ago. This is what we warned you about.

Two years ago, as we were still trying to wrap our heads around the idea that Trump was actually going to be president of the United States, it was not uncommon to hear the hopeful prediction that things wouldn’t work out as badly as we feared. The weighty responsibilities of the office would turn Trump serious, sober, “presidential.”

That has not occurred. If anything, Trump has shown himself to be even more of a despicable human being than he appeared then, and utterly incapable of growing into the office. He is just as petty, just as impulsive, just as narcissistic, just as https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2018/12/21/president-trump-has-made-false-or-misleading-claims-over-days (dishonest) and, perhaps, even more corrupt than we realized.

Not only does he seem to be using every available opportunity to exploit the presidency to enrich himself and his family, but a recent, meticulously documented investigation showed that Trump, his father, and his siblings engaged in a years-long scheme to commit tax fraud on an absolutely massive scale, a story that, in the endless waves of White House madness, has been almost forgotten.

And he continues to jealously guard his tax returns, to the point where any reasonable person would conclude that the information contained therein must at a minimum shock the conscience, if not providing evidence of outright criminal behavior.

But in so many ways, he has shown himself again and again to be not just as bad as we thought, but worse. As as we look forward to the next two years, we must realize that there will be no stability, no settling down, no period of calm. The best we can hope for are brief moments when the lunacy pouring from the White House is more comical than terrifying. But most of the time, they’ll probably be both.

For the first time since President Trump initiated his trade war, China imported zero U.S. soybeans in the month of November, after purchasing 4.7 million tons in November 2017, Reuters reports.

The big picture: Once the largest market for one of America's largest exports, China's decision to slap retaliatory tariffs of 25% on U.S. soybeans in July has hit American farmers especially hard. As part of Trump and President Xi's temporary trade war truce, however, China is reportedly preparing to resume buying soybeans and other American products in the new year.

Up to now I have not favored removing President Trump from office. I felt strongly that it would be best for the country that he leave the way he came in, through the ballot box. But last week was a watershed moment for me, and I think for many Americans, including some Republicans.

It was the moment when you had to ask whether we really can survive two more years of Trump as president, whether this man and his demented behavior — which will get only worse as the Mueller investigation concludes — are going to destabilize our country, our markets, our key institutions and, by extension, the world. And therefore his removal from office now has to be on the table.

I believe that the only responsible choice for the Republican Party today is an intervention with the president that makes clear that if there is not a radical change in how he conducts himself — and I think that is unlikely — the party’s leadership will have no choice but to press for his resignation or join calls for his impeachment.

If America starts to behave as a selfish, shameless, lying grifter like Trump, you simply cannot imagine how unstable — how disruptive —world markets and geopolitics may become.

We cannot afford to find out.

Japanese stocks took a dive on Tuesday, a day after the Dow had its worst Christmas Eve ever, and benchmarks in Thailand and Taiwan were down as well, AP reports.

Why it matters: This is not just a problem for U.S. markets, and it doesn't bode well for when they reopen — or for other world markets. (Markets in Europe, Australia, Hong Kong and South Korea were also closed for Christmas, per AP.)

1) ‘Twas the night before Christmas
When all through the White House
Not a creature was stirring
Aside from a Louse.
The shutdown was hung on the Democrats with care,
In hopes that a border wall soon would be there—

2)
The children were nestled all snug in their cages
Tucked in by border guards not getting their wages.
And all alone in the White House, the Louse cursed his fate
“Why, all that I wanted was to make this land Great!

3)
Yet the Fed raises rates and the Dema won’t play ball
Sometimes I feel it’s not Christmas at all!
Santa is marginal,but Mueller is real
There was nothing like this in The Art of the Deal!

4)
When what to his wond’ring eyes did appear—
But a sealed indictment &much more to fear

Come Pelosi! Come Mueller! Come Nadler! Come Schiff!
& now wave bye bye to that son of a bi*ch

& Mattis exclaimed as strode out of sight
Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!
Dems

5)
And now you can fill in the rest for yourselves

I’m going to bed and I’m all out of elves.

Thread by @brooks_rosa: "1) ‘Twas the night before Christmas When all through the White House Not a creature was stirring Aside from a Louse. The shutdown was hung o […]"

Wesley Clark, the former commander of NATO's forces, on Monday questioned whether Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan blackmailed President Trump into his decision to remove U.S. troops from Syria.

"There doesn’t seem to be any strategic rationale for the decision. And if there’s no strategic rationale for the decision then you have to ask, why was the decision made?" the retired U.S. Army general and former NATO commander said on CNN's "New Day."

"People around the world are asking this and some of our friends and our allies in the Middle East are asking, did Erdoğan blackmail the president? Was there a payoff or something? Why would a guy make a decision like this? Because all the recommendations were against it," he added.