Trump Timeline ... Trumpocalypse

Rudolph W. Giuliani claimed Wednesday night that he “never said there was no collusion” between President Trump’s campaign and Russia leading up to the 2016 presidential election.

In a remarkable, at times contentious, interview with CNN’s Chris Cuomo, the president’s lawyer was accused of contradicting his own past statements about collusion as well as what Trump and his supporters have repeatedly asserted. On Twitter, Trump has http://www.trumptwitterarchive.com/archive (used) the phrase “no collusion” dozens of times, and a number of those instances were direct denials that his campaign was involved with the Russian government.

Giuliani’s shocking declarations — several of which Cuomo called out as being false — quickly sent the Internet into a tailspin as many wondered what could have prompted the former New York mayor to suddenly change course.

A top Department of Housing and Urban Development official is leaving the agency Thursday following disagreements with other members of the Trump administration over housing policy and the White House’s attempt to block disaster-recovery money for Puerto Rico, according to five people with direct knowledge of the situation.

Deputy Secretary Pam Patenaude, second-in-command at the agency helmed by Ben Carson and widely regarded as HUD’s most capable political leader, is said to have grown frustrated by what a former HUD employee described as a “Sisyphean undertaking.”

Patenaude cited personal reasons when she submitted her resignation on Dec. 17.

A MANLY CARTOON
https://claytoonz.com/2019/01/17/a-manly-cartoon/

Gillette, a company that makes razors and other grooming products released an ad stating they “believe in the best in men.” Right-wing men, who love to project by calling liberals “snowflakes,” have responded by having hissy fits and showing the worst in men.

The two-minute commercial talks about “toxic masculinity” and recognizes its own past in contributing to that atmosphere. It makes a strong case against sexism, harassment, mansplaining, and bullying. Conservatives are quite upset over this because, I’m not sure. They’re either in favor of being chauvinistic jerks and pushing people around or their manhood is threatened by such an ad. These are the same people who freaked out last week over a video of a brown congresswoman dancing while she was in college. I have already seen three conservative cartoons outraged over the ad. Yes, they all suck.

Right-wing conservative men are freaking out so much that they’re starting a boycott against Gillette. The ad shows men helplessly repeating the familiar phrase, “Boys will be boys.” A few high-profile dudes, just being boys striving for relevancy, have made their voices heard against the ad.

Actor James Woods, game show host Chuck Woolery, and a male supremacy group, A Voice for Men (which is a certified hate group) have all vowed to boycott Gillette razors. I guess Chuck Woolery will be getting woolier. Piers Morgan (you laughed already, didn’t you?) said Gillette “wants every man to take one of their razors and cut off his testicles.” Not quite.

In case they missed it, the ad is not telling men to vanish, go away, or to “cut off their testicles,” even if Piers could find his. The ad is telling men they’re part of the solution. The new Gillette commercial encourages men to break the cycle of treating women like property, sexual harassment, abuse, the use of violence to solve conflict, bullying, and mansplaining. It’s encouraging men to break the cycle and that is “the best a man can get.” Don’t pass this down to your sons. Don’t pass these expectations down to your daughters.

The ad shows actor Terry Crews testifying before Congress and saying, “Men need to hold other men accountable.” We especially need to hold those accountable who can’t account for themselves.

We believe in the best in men, despite there being those showing their worst and ironically proving the need for such an ad.

If you can’t be an example of the best in men, I hope at the very least, your sons are better than you.

cjones01222019.jpg

Gary Cohn, the former Goldman Sachs executive and ex-top economic adviser to President Donald Trump, denounced the partial government shutdown as "completely wrong" in an interview published by the Boston Globe on Thursday.

The shutdown, which entered its 27th day Thursday and is the longest in U.S. history, shows no sign of ending soon as Democrats and the White House remain at an impasse over granting Trump more than $5 billion for a wall on the southern border. While Trump calls the wall necessary for national security, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi called it "immoral," leading to a standoff that has furloughed thousands of federal workers and threatened basic public infrastructure.

“I don’t understand what the outcome is here, and I don’t understand where we’re going with it,” Cohn said in the interview. “I’m confused as to what the White House’s strategy is on this a little bit.”

He added the furloughing of thousands of federal workers “makes absolutely no sense whatsoever."

In early 2015, a man who runs a small technology company showed up at Trump Tower to collect $50,000 for having helped Michael Cohen, then Donald Trump’s personal lawyer, try to rig online polls in his boss’s favor before the presidential campaign.

In his Trump Organization office, Mr. Cohen surprised the man, John Gauger, by giving him a blue Walmart bag containing between $12,000 and $13,000 in cash and, randomly, a boxing glove that Mr. Cohen said had been worn by a Brazilian mixed-martial arts fighter, Mr. Gauger said.

Mr. Cohen disputed that he handed over a bag of cash. “All monies paid to Mr. Gauger were by check,” he said, offering no further comment on his ties to the consultant.

Mr. Gauger owns RedFinch Solutions LLC and is chief information officer at Liberty University in Virginia, where Jerry Falwell Jr., an evangelical leader and fervent Trump supporter, is president.

Mr. Gauger said he never got the rest of what he claimed he was owed. But Mr. Cohen in early 2017 still asked for—and received—a $50,000 reimbursement from Mr. Trump and his company for the work by RedFinch, according to a government document and a person familiar with the matter. The reimbursement—made on the sole basis of a handwritten note from Mr. Cohen and paid largely out of Mr. Trump’s personal account—demonstrates the level of trust the lawyer once had within the Trump Organization, whose officials arranged the repayment.

The Trump Organization declined to comment. Rudy Giuliani, a lawyer for Mr. Trump, said Mr. Cohen’s being reimbursed more money than he paid RedFinch showed the former Trump lawyer to be a thief. “If one thing has been established, it’s that Michael Cohen is completely untrustworthy,” he said.

The reimbursement was mentioned by federal prosecutors when they charged Mr. Cohen in August with eight felonies, including campaign-finance violations for arranging hush-money payments to an adult-film star and a Playboy model who allege Mr. Trump had extramarital sexual encounters with them.

People sometimes say that Cohen “knows where the bodies are buried,” but I think that’s only partially true. He was certainly close to Trump, but he was not uniquely knowledgeable about the dirty deeds committed by the Trump Organization and the president himself. If you gave everyone around Trump truth serum, there are probably a couple of other people who could tell you more. At the top of the list is Allen Weisselberg, the Trump Organization’s chief financial officer, who has worked for Trump for decades. (Weisselberg https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2018/12/13/big-question-looming-over-trump-just-got-bigger-what-is-allen-weisselberg-spilling-about/ (was given) limited immunity to cooperate with prosecutors in the matter of Trump’s hush-money payments to mistresses, but he appears to be keeping the vast majority of his secrets.)

Nevertheless, Cohen was there for long enough, and involved in a wide enough variety of projects, that he almost certainly has enough stories to fill a week of riveting congressional hearings. I always come back to the remark made by the New Yorker’s Adam Davidson, who has reported extensively on the Trump Organization: “I am unaware of anybody who has taken a serious look at Trump’s business who doesn’t believe that there is a high likelihood of rampant criminality.”

Michael Cohen was there when much of it went down. I can’t wait to hear what he has to say.