Trump Timeline ... Trumpocalypse

Like other presidents before him, Donald Trump has failed failed to negotiate a deal to eliminate North Korea’s nuclear weapons program. But unlike other presidents, he has done it in a particularly Trumpian fashion: through his own ignorance and screw-ups, all while proclaiming that he was about to achieve a monumental victory, one so remarkable that a Nobel Peace Prize https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/from-fire-and-fury-to-peace-prize-some-talk-of-a-nobel-award-for-trump-on-north-korea/2018/04/30/2b7f2182-4c8a-11e8-84a0-458a1aa9ac0a_story.html (would soon) be bestowed upon him.

Yet now we learn that not only didn’t Trump get the denuclearization he sought, he subjected the United States to https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/north-korea-issued-2-million-bill-for-comatose-otto-warmbiers-care/2019/04/25/0e8022a0-66ad-11e9-a698-2a8f808c9cfb_story.html (this humiliation):

North Korea issued a $2 million bill for the hospital care of comatose American Otto Warmbier, insisting that a U.S. official sign a pledge to pay it before being allowed to fly the University of Virginia student from Pyongyang in 2017.

The presentation of the invoice — not previously disclosed by U.S. or North Korean officials — was extraordinarily brazen even for a regime known for its aggressive tactics.

But the main U.S. envoy sent to retrieve Warmbier signed an agreement to pay the medical bill on instructions passed down from President Trump, according to two people familiar with the situation. They spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the matter publicly.

The bill went to the Treasury Department, where it remained — unpaid — throughout 2017, the people said. However, it is unclear whether the Trump administration later paid the bill, or whether it came up during preparations for Trump’s two summits with Kim Jong Un.​

Imagine for a moment the paroxysms of rage Fox News and the rest of the conservative media would be in right now if this had happened under Barack Obama. ...

Trump has never grappled with the fundamental fact underlying this whole issue: Kim believes, and not without reason, that his nuclear weapons are what keeps him in power and alive. If he didn't have them, he could suffer the same fate as Saddam Hussein or Muammar Gaddafi, both deposed and killed. If there's something we can offer him that will be enticing enough to risk the fate of his regime in exchange for getting it, we haven't found it yet.

So while other presidents couldn’t solve that conundrum, they weren’t dumb enough to think that the solution lay in groveling at the feet of the North Korean leader and telling everyone a deal was around the corner. When his presidency is over, this will be the story of Trump’s dealings with North Korea: an ignorant, impulsive president making grandiose claims about what he could accomplish, then making a fool out of himself. With absolutely nothing to show for it.

In his first letter after receiving the Mueller report, Attorney General William Barr accurately quoted it as saying that “the investigation did not establish” that the Trump campaign “conspired or coordinated with the Russian government in its election interference activities.”

But the opposite is also true: The Mueller report does establish that, in fact, members of the Trump campaign conspired or coordinated with the Russian government in its election interference activities.

How is this possible? It’s the difference between the report’s criminal prosecution standard of proof “beyond a reasonable doubt” and a lower standard — the preponderance standard of “more likely than not” — relevant for counterintelligence and general parlance about facts, and closer to the proper http://congressionalresearch.com/98-990/document.php?study=STANDARD+OF+PROOF+IN+SENATE+IMPEACHMENT+PROCEEDINGS.

There is confusion about the Mueller report’s fact-finding because he used the wrong coordination standard, obstruction probably obscured the evidence of crimes, and the summary was unclear about evidentiary standards. The report’s very high standard for legal conclusions for criminal charges was explicitly proof “beyond a reasonable doubt.” So the report did not establish crimes beyond a reasonable doubt. But it did show a preponderance of conspiracy and coordination.

Thursday I surveyed the entire Mueller report. I read some sections carefully; I skimmed others. My job was to anchor Lawfare’s initial coverage, so I needed to have a sense of the big picture, as well as detailed knowledge of certain findings and arguments. Starting Friday, however, I am reading the entire document carefully, starting at the beginning. I’m writing up my thoughts as I go in this post. There will be no cohesive argument to this journal. It will simply be a collection of my observations, questions and thoughts as I go through the document. It will get long. I will not attempt to summarize the underlying document, merely to reflect on it, but I will organize this post by document section. I will update the post as I read. I hope people find it useful.

IMPEACH! IMPEACH! IMPEACH!
https://claytoonz.com/2019/04/26/impeach-impeach-impeach/

There is a long list of things Donald Trump doesn’t understand. During his very first visit to the White House while he was president-elect, he asked Obama if all the West Wing staffers were staying. Obama, to his credit, did not reply, “We’re totally fucked because the nation elected an idiot.” Nope. Obama educated Trump that he had to hire an all-new staff for the West Wing to fill all 400 plus positions. Unfortunately for the nation, everyone Trump knows is an idiot, criminal, or a psychopath. Trump is all three.

Trump also did not know that he shouldn’t hire Michael Flynn. Obama gave Trump two pieces of advice. One was that North Korea would be his biggest problem (which was wrong but who could have guessed that Trump would work so hard on creating even larger problems) and do not hire Michael Flynn. Then, Trump hired Michael Flynn.

Trump doesn’t understand nuclear triad. When asked during a GOP debate in 2015 about modernizing the arsenal in the United State’s nuclear triad, he tossed out some word salad about Obama and global warming, Syria, how he opposed the war in Iraq, and that devastation is “very important to him.” Either he doesn’t know the nuclear triad is a system of being prepared to respond with nuclear missiles from land, sea, and air, or he doesn’t know triangles have three sides.

He doesn’t understand tariffs and they’ve been explained to him time and time again. He doesn’t get that tariffs are basically taxes on consumers. He claims Mexico will pay for his stupid racist border wall by his increasing tariffs on their products, not understanding that U.S. consumers will pay those higher tariffs. He also doesn’t understand that Congress appropriates spending and would be the body that decides how to spend money from increased tariffs.

And while we’re on the topic of the stupid racist border wall and funding for it, his stupid racist sycophants who started a GoFundMe to finance the wall don’t understand appropriations either. You can’t decide how money is spent that you give to the U.S. government. Congress decides. So, those GoFundMe idiots would have been giving all their money to Congress. Who controls the House? Democrats, who could have taken that money and given it to undocumented transgender atheist immigrants in need of abortions if they wanted to. That would have been a swift kick in their stupid racist crotches.

Trump doesn’t understand how people buy groceries because he thinks an ID is required. Seriously. If you can’t find any Frankenberry in your local grocery store, blame an immigrant. That’s why the caravans are coming here.

Despite this “genius” claiming to be a great negotiator, he doesn’t understand that either. Trump was given an offer on border funding and negotiated it down to where he got nothing. Usually, in a negotiation, both sides have a number and they meet somewhere in between. It would be like going to a car dealership and giving them all your money and leaving without a car. At this point, we’re lucky North Korea doesn’t own Hawaii.

He didn’t understand islands because it took a hurricane for him to discover Puerto Rico is surrounded by water.

He doesn’t understand that the highest elected official in a territory is the governor and not the president. He’s the president of Puerto Rico, but he doesn’t know it. I wish I didn’t know it.

He didn’t understand that if you stop paying people then they can’t pay their bills, which was exhibited by the month-long government shutdown. Who knew?

He doesn’t understand you’re not supposed to publicly lust after your daughter…or even privately. He should at least conceal that pervy shit instead of telling all of us that if they weren’t related that they’d be dating and that they’re both obsessed with sex. How does he know they’re both obsessed with sex? That’s a rhetorical question because I really don’t want the answer.

This is getting to be a long list so we’re gonna have to cut a LOT of stuff out, but we’ll finish with…Trump doesn’t understand impeachment.

Trump tweeted that he can’t be impeached because a president can only be impeached if he’s committed “high crimes and misdemeanors,” and he hasn’t been convicted of a crime. What he doesn’t get is, Congress can be the one who decides he committed a crime, such as obstruction. Also, the term “high crimes and misdemeanors” also covers the president’s misconduct, even if it doesn’t involve an actual crime. If Congress believes a president is a threat to national security but he hasn’t committed any crimes, they can impeach him. It’d be very hard, but they can do it.

Trump also said he would use the Supreme Court to stop impeachment. It doesn’t work that way. Impeachment is a political issue, not judicial. The court has ruled over a case involving an impeached judge on a lower court and decided they have no role in it. The only involvement with impeachment is the Chief Justice presiding over the Senate trial, which is after impeachment.

You would have more luck saying “Beetlejuice” three times to stop an impeachment than calling the Supreme Court. And trust me. Nobody calls Brett Kavanaugh or Clarence Thomas more than once.

All the stuff above, I have to know to be a political cartoonist (and everyone should know about lusting after your daughter. It’s wrong). Well, at least a liberal political cartoonist. The conservative ones need a lot of educating. But, don’t you think if a cartoonist has to know all this stuff then the president does too? I’m no genius. Knowing all the information above doesn’t make me smart or super informed. It’s all basic stuff I had a fair grasp of by middle school (we called them “junior highs” back then). I sucked at math but I knew history and civics. History and civics aren’t hard. All you have to do is read….ooooooooooooh. That’s the problem.

Donald Trump needs a civics lesson and I can’t think of a better education than impeaching him. If nothing else, maybe it’ll educate his stupid racist followers.

cjones04292019.jpg

In President Trump’s world, people https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2018/politics/trump-turnover/?utm_term=.8644adaa3421 (may come and go), but nicknames are forever.

Whether they are “Crooked,” “Crazy,” “Lyin’” or “Little,” it appears that Trump has made it his personal mission to saddle his numerous rivals over the years with unflattering monikers, seizing any opportunity to deploy the epithets to the masses.

On Thursday, however, Trump found himself in a rather unusual position in his war of words — receiving a nickname.

In a series of early-morning tweets, prolific Trump critic George Conway, husband of White House counselor Kellyanne Conway, once again raged against the president. But instead of using Trump’s name, Conway repeatedly called him “Deranged Donald,” seemingly irked by a https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-promotes-baseless-accusation-of-british-spying-a-day-after-accepting-an-invitation-for-a-state-visit-from-the-queen/2019/04/24/b8e19632-6678-11e9-82ba-fcfeff232e8f_story.html?utm_term=.9640f6c126b2 (Washington Post story) about the president promoting a widely debunked accusation that the United Kingdom helped the Obama administration spy on his 2016 campaign. Conway then turned the alliterative sobriquet into a hashtag.

Prosecutors working for Special Counsel Robert Mueller concluded last year that they had sufficient evidence to seek criminal charges against President Donald Trump for obstruction of justice over the president’s alleged pressuring of then FBI Director James Comey in February 2017 to shut down an FBI investigation of the president’s then national security adviser, Michael Flynn.

Privately, the two prosecutors, who were then employed in the special counsel’s office, told other Justice Department officials that had it not been for the unique nature of the case—the investigation of a sitting president of the United States, and one who tried to use the powers of his office to thwart and even close down the special counsel’s investigation—they would have advocated that he face federal criminal charges. I learned of the conclusions of the two former Mueller prosecutors not by any leak, either from them personally or from the office of special counsel. Rather, the two prosecutors disclosed this information in then-confidential conversations with two other federal law enforcement officials, who subsequently recounted what they were told to me.

The Mueller report lists on-the-record and under-oath statements about the events surrounding the order to McGahn from eight people: McGahn, Donaldson, Kelly, Porter, Priebus, Bannon, Ruddy and Christie. It also quotes from Donaldson’s contemporaneous notes and relies on phone records to confirm memories. In this tweet, as in his confrontation with McGahn, Trump appears to believe the magic-word defense — that because he did not specifically use the word “fire,” he cannot be said to have tried to fire Mueller.

Trump notably refused to testify under oath. His former White House counsel did, and reluctantly revealed to the special counsel that he was told by the president, in two phone calls, to order the dismissal of Mueller. McGahn was prepared to resign instead of carrying out what he perceived as a directive from the president.

Trump’s defenders argue this was based on a misunderstanding. But that ignores the fact that Mueller’s conflicts supposedly raised by Trump had already been dismissed as ridiculous to the president’s face by some of his closest advisers — and that a number of Trump’s aides and friends, in sworn testimony, reported that Trump was ready to order the dismissal of Mueller.

In any case, the president cannot blame the media for reporting on the facts outlined in the Mueller report. Given the weight of the evidence compiled in the report, Trump’s tweet is worthy of Four Pinocchios.