Trump Timeline ... Trumpocalypse

SNOTTY ON SNITTY
Snotty On Snitty

While mucking around in Georgetown on Thursday, I popped into the campus bookstore and for ten bucks, bought a copy of the Mueller Report.

The only reason I had to purchase the thing is for posterity’s sake. I bought a copy of the Starr Report when it first came out too (and believe it or not, in the only conversatoin I ever had with him, Herblock told me to throw it away). I have already gone through Mueller’s report, but now I can at least grab the hard, OK, softcover copy for reference. And, I bought it despite one of the writers for the introduction being Alan Dershowitz, who has spent the past two years being a Trump sycophant.

From the introduction, it seems Dershowitz had read more of the report than Attorney General William Barr, who has proven to be nothing more than Donald Trump’s Roy Cohn.

Barr released a very flawed summary of the report weeks before releasing a redacted version. During his testimony before the Senate Judiciary Committee, Barr complained that Mueller’s objection to his description of the report was “snitty.” He also complained about the volume of material Mueller included in the report, probably because it created more stuff for Barr to lie about.

Barr also complained about the summaries Mueller included, saying, “I made it clear to him I was not in the business of putting out periodic summaries because a summary would start a whole public debate about its accuracy”, says the guy who wrote an inaccurate summary.

He complained about Mueller digging into “additional episodes” of Trump’s possible obstruction, which doesn’t matter since Barr had decided before he even took the job that Trump never obstructed justice.

He even insulted team Mueller. When asked by Senator Marsha Blackburn, “Do you consider these lawyers to be the best and the brightest in the field?” Barr replied, “Not necessarily.”

In testimony before releasing the report, Barr was asked if Mueller approved of his summary. He said he didn’t. He lied. He knew Mueller was unhappy because he had received it in a written context. It was on the record. He had also talked to Mueller personally. He knew. Before the United States Senate, William Barr, the Attorney General of the United States, committed perjury.

Speaker Nancy Pelosi has also accused Barr of committing perjury. Republicans and the White House were upset with that. But then again, they also say you can’t accuse a president of obstruction when he commits obstruction.

Barr has not operated as the nation’s top lawyer and has worked more as Trump’s personal defender. If there’s any real estate left on Trump’s colossal ass that Sean Hannity has missed, Barr has it covered.

Barr should be impeached, or resign, or at the very least have his own colossal ass kicked by Robert Mueller. Maybe there are “13 angry” Democrats who’d like to join in.

cjones05062019-1.jpg

Trump retweeted far-right internet personality Paul Joseph Watson on Saturday, who was banned from Instagram and Facebook this week for spreading "dangerous" extremist rhetoric and violating hate speech policies.

Why it matters: Real-world hate crimes are putting pressure on Facebook and other platforms to crack down on pages and accounts that have repeatedly shared false information or hate speech. The president is expressing support for one of these extremist internet personalities through retweets.

What we're watching: On Friday, Trump announced he would continue to "monitor the censorship of American citizens on social media platforms," 1 day after Facebook and Instagram banned some extremist personalities.

Details: Trump also retweeted a video from a conspiracy Twitter account on Saturday that shows an interview clip of a man saying "conquering America" is part of the Muslim faith.
  • Recent instances of online hate speech frequently involve Islamophobia.
  • The Trump administration is working to designate the Muslim Brotherhood as a foreign terrorist organization, a move some experts say would put increased pressure on Muslims in the U.S. According to Ned Price, a former CIA officer and former National Security Council official: "The 'vast majority' of branches of the Muslim Brotherhood — which was founded in 1928 in Egypt and now operates in many countries — do not espouse violence," NBC News reports.

Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s report contains several surprises, most famously in declining to determine whether the President committed obstruction of justice. The Special Counsel does, however, engage in an extensive discussion of the facts and the law on that and other issues within his remit. On the constitutional law issues, he confronts and methodically refutes the claim advanced by the President’s legal team that, in the exercise of Article II authority, corrupt motive is irrelevant.

So it is also a surprise that this approach—a careful assessment of the legal case—is not one Mueller also follows in addressing the campaign finance issues raised by Donald Trump and his campaign’s solicitation and acceptance of assistance from the Russian government. The Report treats the campaign finance issues almost cursorily—one could say, superficially— even to the point of failing to identify and address all the applicable law. The results are an unconvincing decision to decline any prosecutions, and a major question about the enforcement of this law in 2020 and beyond.

For President Trump’s reelection effort, “Investigate the investigators!” is becoming the new “Lock her up!”

Trump and his allies, seeking to amplify claims that the FBI spied on his 2016 campaign, are seizing on news reports and statements by Attorney General William P. Barr to launch a political rallying cry they view as an antidote to special counsel Robert S. Mueller III’s findings.

Dismissed by critics as an outlandish conspiracy theory, so-called “spygate” is fast becoming a central feature of the Trump campaign as it seeks to go on offense in the wake of a report that identified 10 instances of potential obstruction of justice by Trump. The campaign is publicly calling for criminal investigations into former FBI officials, making “spygate” fundraising pitches and selling spy-themed merchandise. The goal, officials said, is to turn the Russia probe into a political winner that could help him secure another term.