Trump Timeline ... Trumpocalypse

The gunman who murdered three people at a food festival in Northern California on Sunday posted about a far-right book on Instagram moments before the attack.

Law enforcement have reportedly identified Santino William Legan, 19, as the shooter who opened fire at the Gilroy Garlic Festival on Sunday evening. Police said Legan dodged security at the festival’s entrance by cutting through a fence to gain entry. Once inside, witnesses said he sprayed gunfire on the crowd with a rifle before police killed him.

Soon after, he posted a picture with a caption that told followers to read a 19th-century, proto-fascist book. The book, which is repeatedly recommended alongside works by Hitler and other fasicsts on forums like 8chan, is full of anti-Semitic, sexist and white supremacist ideology. The book glorifies “Aryan” men, condemns inter-marriage between races and defends violence based on bogus eugenicist tropes.

Last month, I temporarily deactivated my Twitter account following a colossal dump of racist abuse into my feed, including a man in Texas whipping up his followers to phone into an NPR radio show on which I was a guest to ask about “white genocide.” Others played a guessing game around my skin color in the belief this would help them gauge my IQ. On YouTube, one of the editors of Mankind Quarterly, a pseudoscientific journal founded after the Second World War to argue against desegregation and racial mixing, imitated me by dressing up in an “Indian shirt” (I am British; my parents were born in India). The comments underneath said I should I go back to where I came from.

It’s just another day online.

The abuse I’ve seen isn’t unusual. Others receive worse, especially if they are in the public eye. My particular crime was to have written a well-reviewed popular science book about why racial categories are not as biologically meaningful as we think and how, in fact, they have been used to justify slavery and the Holocaust. These are ideas so widely accepted in mainstream academia that it should be blandly uncontroversial to repeat them. Yet to read some of the comments I’ve received, one might imagine I was hopelessly deluded.

In Superior: The Return of Race Science, I interview researchers at the cutting edge of research into human difference to journalistically expose the dangerous history of scientific racism. It is ground that has been trodden by respected scholars in the past, including evolutionary biologist Stephen Jay Gould, historian Evelynn Hammonds and anthropologist Jonathan Marks, as well as journalists such as Amy Harmon at the New York Times. Despite all our efforts, sometimes it feels as though we are no further along.

If anything, the public debate around race and science has sunk into the mud. ...

1. The president hates America.

In the run-up to 2020, this can’t be said frequently, loudly or clearly enough.

2. Two weekends ago, Donald Trump said that four female citizens of color who dared complain about the president’s racism hate America so they should leave it. This past weekend, he said the city of Baltimore is so “crime-infested” that “no human being” would want to live there.

3. Think about what he’s saying—what he’s really saying.

4. I don’t mean that it’s racist. I don’t mean that when he says “America” he means “white.” I don’t mean that when he says “human being” he means “white.” That’s clear to me. That’s clear to you. That’s becoming clearer (I hope dearly) to our nihilist press corps.

5. But that’s not what I mean when I say think about what he’s really saying.

He’s saying he hates America.

This America. The one of now.

Thread by @johnastoehr: "1. The president hates America. In the run-up to 2020, this can’t be said frequently, loudly or clearly enough. 2. Two weekends ago, Donald […]"

Social media users took to Twitter on Monday to mock President Donald Trump's 9/11 first responders claim by using the hashtag #LostTrumpHistory to include the president into other historical events that he was not involved in.

#LostTrumpHistory became the top trending hashtag on Twitter in the United States on Monday afternoon.

"Many of those affected were firefighters, police officers and other first responders," Trump said earlier today during a signing ceremony to extend the 9/11 victims compensation fund. "And I was down there also, but I'm not considering myself a first responder. But I was down there. I spent a lot of time down there with you."

After Trump's remarks, the president's critics quickly pointed out that he didn't offer any evidence to support the claim. https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/07/29/brief-history-trump-making-about-himself/?utm_term=.bea5495cad38 (The Washington Post) noted several other instances where Trump had attempted to make 9/11 about himself, including when he called in to a local TV station on 9/11 to claim that after the World Trade Center falls, he would own the tallest building in downtown Manhattan. A decade later, Trump claimed he predicted 9/11.

In response, thousands of Twitter users began ridiculing Trump's latest 9/11 claim by posting #LostTrumpHistory memes of the president being inserted in other parts of history that he was not a part of.