Trump Timeline ... Trumpocalypse

For Republicans, the problem with Representative Steve King isn’t that he’s an unabashed racist, homophobe, and misogynist. It’s that when he talks about white nationalism or abortion rights, he says the quiet part loud.

Explaining his opposition to abortion under any circumstances, King said, “What if we went back through all the family trees and just pulled those people out that were products of rape or incest? Would there be any population of the world left if we did that? Considering all the wars and all the rapes and pillages that’s taken place, and whatever happened to culture after society, I know that I can’t certify that I’m not a product of that. And I’d like to think every one of the lives of us are as precious as any other life.”

He also stands firmly against common sense and compassion.

King’s fellow House Republicans raced to condemn him, branding his comments as “wrong,” and “appalling.” In a statement, the Republican Party of Iowa called King’s remarks, “offensive” and “not reflective of the party’s views.”

Except, of course, they are. This is the Republican Party.

For years, the GOP essentially ignored King’s clown car of idiocy. They said nothing when he claimed an Obama victory would have “al-Qaida, the radical Islamists and their supporters . . . dancing in the streets in greater numbers than they did on September 11.” They looked away when he defended racial profiling, and pushed incendiary ideas about white men being replaced by women and people of color.

Now Trump’s position in the White House has made King a convenient target of Republican ire. Onto King, they can cast all sins. While the president runs amok and incites domestic terrorism, the GOP can look like it still has a shred of decency by going after King in a way it would never dare go after Trump.

King is Trump. Trump is King. Both men, who offend simply by opening their mouths, represent the putrefying soul of the Republican Party. And despite all the phony public umbrage over King’s latest outrage, they wouldn’t have it any other way.