Trump Timeline ... Trumpocalypse

ICYMI, I was on AM Joy on MSNBC with the great John Fugelsang talking about Jerry Falwell Jr. and his sycophantic relationship with the utterly corrupt cult figure Donald Trump.

But here's the thing; nothing about the Jerry Falwell Jr. scandal surprises me, because, having grown up in and lived through the religious right in the 70’s and 80’s, I have seen this all before.

The white evangelical movement has been rebranded as a personality cult, trying to follow one person who is about as far away from Jesus and his teachings as you can get. It is a jump, not just to a personality cult, but to the exact opposite of everything Christianity at its best ever stands for.

It is the opposite of feeding the widow and orphan. It is the opposite of reaching out to the stranger. It contradicts everything about the best of the old testament and the new testament.

Jerry Falwell Jr. has made himself into the leader of a heretical movement that any Christian at any point in history would judge as outside Christianity, in the same way that the Nazis co-opted the church, taking many Lutherans, Evangelicals, and Roman Catholics outside of the tradition of Christianity and backing Hitler instead, to their great sorrow and detriment.

The same fate awaits the Evangelical movement unless it turns away from this personality cult.

Frank on AM Joy on MSNBC - September 14, 2019

Back