Trump Timeline ... Trumpocalypse

But no single analogy can capture every aspect of something as momentous as a presidential impeachment. There’s always a need for additional context and comparison. That’s where the question of an analogy to Capone comes in, as there are some clear differences between Trump and Nixon, and some equally powerful traits Trump shares with Capone.

One of the major disparities between Nixon and Trump is the personal character of the two men. Without in any way eulogizing Nixon, our 37th commander in chief was a model citizen compared to our 45th. Nixon was also a lawyer, highly educated and intellectually rigorous. In the end, when his crimes were exposed and his base of support had eroded, Nixon saw the handwriting on the wall and grudgingly bowed to the rule of law and resigned.

Trump won’t do that. For Trump, rules, including the rule of law, are meant to be broken. Defiance, fueled by a volatile mix of psychopathology, sociopathy and ignorance, is his brand.

In both style and to a certain degree substance, Trump is more mobster a la Capone than politician a la Nixon.

As far as we know, Trump has never gone full-Capone and actually ordered one of his capos to literally take out any of his business or political opponents. But lest we forget, during the 2016 campaign, Trump boasted he could “stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody” and not “lose any voters.”

And lest we think Trump was simply waxing hyperbolic, one of the president’s private attorneys told a three-judge panel of the 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals in October that Trump could not be investigated or prosecuted until he leaves office, even if he really did shoot someone on 5th Avenue. The astounding assertion was advanced in support of Trump’s attempt to prevent Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance from obtaining Trump’s income tax returns. The circuit court ruled against Trump on Nov. 4.

The battle over Trump’s tax returns, and what they might reveal about his crooked financial dealings, is reminiscent of the painstaking federal effort to bring Capone to justice. When Capone was finally held to account, it wasn’t for masterminding the St. Valentine’s Day Massacre of 1929, in which seven of his gangland Chicago rivals were killed, or for the violent extortion and bootlegging empire he had built. The Feds never got Capone for his most heinous offenses. Instead, Capone was arrested, tried, convicted and sent to prison in 1931 for the mundane white-collar crime of income tax evasion.

To be sure, it is highly doubtful that Senate Republicans will follow the example of Capone’s jury and vote to convict Trump and remove him from office in an impeachment trial conducted in the upper chamber. But if the impeachment case against the president is skillfully prosecuted in the Senate, it will severely damage Trump’s reelection prospects and hasten the demise of his political career, much as the tax-evasion prosecution of Capone brought an end to the career of the most notorious mobster in American history.

ANOTHER TRUMP SUCKER
Another Trump Sucker

Trump’s former ambassador to the United Nations, Nikki Haley, has a new book out, called “With All Due Respect,” which she can be proud that it doesn’t kiss as much Trump ass as Don Jr’s book, “Triggered.” But just barely.

What’s up with all these people putting Trump books out at the same time? Sheesh, people. Give it a rest (an inside joke which you’ll be in on by Thursday).

Nikki was thought of as a Republican with principles, back when there were at least more than two of them in the nation. As governor of South Carolina, she removed the Confederate flag from the statehouse after a racist killed nine people at a black church in Charleston. During the 2016 presidential primaries, she didn’t just endorse Marco Rubio because she believed he was the best candidate. She endorsed him while strongly speaking out against Donald Trump. She said, “During anxious times, it can be tempting to follow the siren call of the angriest voices. We must resist that temptation.” She failed in her resistance.

By the time the Republican National Convention rolled around, she was on the Trump train. After Trump was elected, she resigned as governor to be ambassador to the United Nations. For a governor, padding foreign policy onto your resume is very valuable. But how valuable is it when you served as an ambassador of a body that openly laughed at Donald Trump? The United Nations doesn’t respect Donald Trump, and he doesn’t respect it either. Trump believes there’s a member nation named Nambia, but even if it did exist, they wouldn’t have much respect for him either. It does sound like a “shithole” country.

In Nikki’s book, she claims she’s the only member of the Trump administration to tell him to his face that his press conference with Russia’s president didn’t go off very well. She claims that afterward, he got much stronger against Russia. She must be thinking of the time he advocated for Russia rejoining the European Union or that other time when he repeated Putin’s argument that the Soviet Union had the right to invade Afghanistan because of terrorism. Or maybe she was thinking of just last week when Trump said he really wanted to go to Russia and watch their May Day parade.

One of the biggest takeaways from the book is her claim that the secretary of state, Rex Tillerson and the chief-of-staff, John Kelly (neither of whom are still with the administration) attempted to recruit her to join their mini resistance. As I pointed out already, Nikki doesn’t do resistance well.

Haley writes, “Kelly and Tillerson confided in me that when they resisted the president, they weren’t being insubordinate, they were trying to save the country. Tillerson went on to tell me the reason he resisted the president’s decisions was because, if he didn’t, people would die.”

Instead of saying that to me, they should have been saying that to the president, not asking me to join them on their sidebar plan,” she said. “It should have been, go tell the president (sic) what your differences are and quit if you don’t like what he’s doing. But to undermine a president (sic) is really a very dangerous thing, and it goes against the Constitution and it goes against what the American people want. And it was offensive.”

During an interview with Norah O’Donnell of CBS News that aired Sunday, she said, “Instead of saying that to me, they should have been saying that to the president (sic), not asking me to join them on their sidebar plan. It should have been, go tell the president (sic) what your differences are and quit if you don’t like what he’s doing. But to undermine a president (sic) is really a very dangerous thing, and it goes against the Constitution and it goes against what the American people want. And it was offensive.”

I don’t know if it goes against the Constitution to not enforce a directive of the president, or to wait him out until he forgets it (as others have claimed to do), or to try to change his mind. But do you know what is in the Constitution, Nikki? Bribery. Bribery, as in the president should be impeached if he commits it.

Donald Trump’s attempt to bribe a foreign leader with U.S. military aid to help his reelection campaign is probably just one example of Trump fuckery so dangerous and stupid, that members of his staff were subverting his efforts. Take a look at his phone call with Ukraine’s president. Somebody thought it was so bad that it needed to be hidden away inside its own special server.

Tillerson is disputing Haley’s account, but last December, he said, “The president (sic) would say, ‘Here’s what I want to do and here’s how I want to do it.’ And I would have to say to him, ‘Mr. President (sic), I understand what you want to do, but you can’t do it that way. It violates the law.” Tillerson probably discovered that it went beyond Trump not knowing the law, but to the extent he doesn’t care.

In Bob Woodward’s book, “Fear,” Gary Cohn, the administration’s top economic adviser, removed letters from Trump’s desk removing the U.S. out of Nafta and a trade agreement with South Korea. In the same book, there’s a revelation that James Mattis, then the defense secretary, ignored Trump’s orders to assassinate Syria’s of Bashar al-Assad.

According to Haley, each of those instances of insubordination was unconstitutional.

In the New York Times Op-Ed by Anonymous, who claims to be a senior aide in Trump’s White House, he or she claims “many Trump appointees have vowed to do what we can to preserve our democratic institutions while thwarting Mr. (sic) Trump’s more misguided impulses until he is out of office.”

Haley is trying to present herself as being bold and independent enough to stand up to Donald Trump while still appeasing his supporters by kissing his ass. She can’t have it both ways. While she may be dreaming of replacing Mike Pence on the 2020 ticket (it could happen) and becoming a future Republican president, she’s not an example of courage within this administration.

If you want to see courage, look no further than those testifying this week against the administration. If you want examples of asskissers, toadies, suckups, lackeys, sycophants, grovelers, fawners, bootlickers, apple polishers, and ball washers, there are plenty to choose from in Washington (Lindsey Graham, Jeff Sessions, Mike Pence, etc), but today, let’s look at Nikki Haley.

Someday, all these asskissers will have to defend their time as sycophants. Haley will be doing so while also trying to explain her experience with Trump’s failed foreign policy where all roads led to Russia.

With “all due respect,” Nikki, you’re just another sycophant who put cult worship over country.

cjones11152019.jpg

This entire thread is psychotic. I mean it. All of these posts reflect obsession and paranoia. Trump never stopped campaigning because the media never let him stop, it's just been a marathon of campaign attack ads since he began by the mainstream media being the self appointed mouthpiece for the world. Julian Assange simply published hacked info. We all read it the second it dropped, there were even paid contests on YouTube to discover the juiciest excerpts on the fly. Worldwide scrutiny. Not BuzzFeed. Not CNN. Just regular people with internet. I'd focus more on how similar or worse FISA taps are to Watergate. Now we see the floodgate.

So, while they were preparing to take advantage of hacks, who was responsible for Hillary getting caught in those hacks receiving the CNN debate questions from Donna Brazile before the debate? Gee, sure glad to have that information available. Just remember "all the world's a stage"
We got to see behind the curtain for once, and probably only once. What a time to be Alive.

Back