Trump Timeline ... Trumpocalypse

I've now had the chance to go through the House Impeachment Report. My take thus far is it is a very solid, comprehensive piece of work. Amazing they produced it with this velocity. Specifically, I'd isolate a few things:

1. The most impt language is in 1st sentence: the Committee Report details the evidence gathered “THUS FAR.” They are clearly laying down a marker that the investigation continues & that the President is bent on obstructing it/trying to gag ExecBr employees from telling the truth

2. Page 1 then begins exactly where my book IMPEACH does, that our Founders feared a President who would put his personal interests over those of the American people. That’s what Impeachment is all about.

3. I love how the Report right away centers everything on the memo/partial transcript of the Trump/Zelensky July 25 phone call. That call alone is beyond damning, despite the President's phantom legal scholars he claimed today who supposedly labeled the call beautiful and perfect

4. The Report sets the right tone, saying impeachment isn't something they seek lightly. But that this is precisely why our Founders put it in the Constitution.

Thread by @neal_katyal: "I've now had the chance to go through the House Impeachment Report. My take thus far is it is a very solid, comprehensive piece of work. Ama […]"

After two weeks of public impeachment hearings where damning evidence was presented by numerous credible witnesses, Republicans remain steadfast in their support for their president. Trump himself has famously said that he could shoot a man in the middle of Fifth Avenue and not lose any of his political support. A Nobel prize-winning idea called prospect theory helps to explain Republican loyalty in the face of incriminating evidence. To see how, let’s play a game.

I’m going to flip a fair coin. If it lands on heads, you win $20. If it lands on tails, you lose $20. Would you like to play this game? You might. But what if we raise the stakes to $100? Or $1,000? You might be less interested in playing now. But why? The odds of winning or losing have not changed. Only the stakes have changed.

It turns out that for most people, the gains that come from the prospect of a windfall do not exceed the pain suffered from an equivalent loss. In other words, the agony of loss is a bigger deal than the thrill of winning, even when the amounts are the same. Being averse to loss is a normal human response. Back in the 1970s, psychologists Daniel Kahneman and Amos Tversky showed that when people make decisions that involve chance or uncertainty, they are likely to overvalue losses, relative to gains.

Now imagine the coin is president Trump, and instead of dollars, winning and losing is determined by your preferred party outcome: Democrats win if he’s removed from office, Republicans win if he stays in office. Members of Congress are more likely to make decisions out of a sense of loss aversion when the stakes are high. And, let’s face it, the stakes are very high. There are two features about current politics that raise the stakes.

Back