Trump Timeline ... Trumpocalypse

COUPFEFE

When the tape came out Sunday of Donald Trump attempting to force Georgia’s secretary of state, Brad Raffensperger, to disenfranchise thousands of voters, overturn an election, and thwart democracy, a lot of Republicans were upset. Republicans like Senator David Perdue, who is on the ballot today in a runoff trying to keep his seat.

Yes, Perdue was outraged. He called it “disgusting.” No, he wasn’t outraged Donald Trump was committing election fraud and behaving like a mob boss. He wasn’t even upset over the multiple conspiracy theories Trump shared on the call. Perdue was upset the call was recorded. He was upset at Raffensperger.

Perdue said, “I guess I was raised differently. To have a statewide elected official, regardless of party, tape without disclosing a conversation — private conversation — with the president of the United States, and then leaking it to the press is disgusting.”

I guess I was raised differently because I was raised to believe this is a republic and not a theocracy and the president should be a champion of democracy, not attempting to be a fascist leader. I was also raised to believe United States Senators choose democracy over fascism and cult leaders. I was raised to believed we respected the will of the people. I was raised to believe we abided by the Constitution. I was raised to believe we put America before cults of personalities. Obviously, a lot of Republicans were raised with different values.

I was also raised not to be a hypocrite. In 2017, after Donald Trump fired FBI Director James Comey, he issued a threat for Comey to keep quiet, as he may have taped their conversations. Do you recall David Perdue being upset that Trump may have taped Comey? Funny. I don’t remember him doing that either.

Trump eventually said he didn’t tape Comey, as the former director called his bluff and spoke to the press about their conversations where Trump tried to get him to drop an investigation. But, Trump probably did tape the call as he has a history of that. Trump was taping phone calls decades ago without informing the other party.

But anyone who talks to Trump should record the conversation because he may ask them to do something illegal or lie about what he said later…or probably both.

And Republicans can pretend to be upset over this call being recorded and leaked, but that’s just a distraction from what they should really be upset over, the fact the president (sic) of the United States is engaging in criminal acts.

David Perdue may also want to check on the laws about recording a phone conversation. In Washington, D.C., it’s legal. In Georgia, it’s legal. David Perdue needs to find another reason to get his knickers in a twist. What isn’t legal is election fraud. While the state of Georgia may not want to go after Trump, the improved United States Justice Department may after January 20, and the Fulton County district attorney may open an investigation into the solicitation of election fraud.

Perdue also said, “I didn’t hear anything in that tape that the president hasn’t already said for weeks now since the November election.” Sure, we all heard the lies and conspiracy theories from Trump before, but have we heard him ask for favors…other than that time he illegally asked Ukraine to investigate his opponent (or he wouldn’t allow military aid) or that time when he asked Comey to stop investigating Michael Flynn? I guess David Perdue is right. We’ve all heard Donald Trump commit criminal acts before.

His colleague and fellow Georgian, Senator Kelly Loeffler, was OK with the tape because she’s on board with trying to overthrow the election tomorrow when Congress certifies Joe Biden’s election. Different values as in, they don’t have any.

We do have different values than Republicans. In fact, Republicans have different values than Republicans. There’s nothing Republican about destroying our republic. Perdue and Loeffler also called for Raffensperger to resign back when Donald Trump lost Georgia the first time before he lost the three recounts. How much do you want to bet that if Donald Trump had won Georgia, there would not have been any recounts, and definitely not three. I haven’t heard anything about there being a recount in places like Texas, North Carolina, or Florida where Trump won.

Republicans want the secretary of state to resign for doing his job and not handing an election over to a fascist wannabe, and they want the fascist reinstated. Again, different values.

I just hope today the majority of Georgians have better values than to return two fascist-loving, democracy-hating senators back to Washington.

cjones01072021.jpg

Back