Vitamin C

Michael Scally MD

Doctor of Medicine
10+ Year Member
I am including this abstract since many seem to think that Vit. C should be part of PCT, NOT!!!
While Vit. C will not be harmful it will NOT help PCT.

Vijayprasad S, Bb G, Bb N. Effect of vitamin C on male fertility in rats subjected to forced swimming stress. J Clin Diagn Res 2014;8(7):HC05-8. http://www.jcdr.net/article_fulltex...me=8&issue=7&page=HC05&issn=0973-709x&id=4622

INTRODUCTION: Stress is defined as a general body response to initially threatening external or internal demands, involving the mobilization of physiological and psychological resources to deal with them. Recently, oxidative stress has become the focus of interest as a potential cause of male infertility. Normally, equilibrium exists between reactive oxygen species (ROS) production and antioxidant scavenging activities in the male reproductive organs. The ascorbic acid is a known antioxidant present in the testis with the precise role of protecting the latter from the oxidative damage. It also contributes to the support of spermatogensis at least in part through its capacity to maintain antioxidant in an active state.

MATERIALS AND METHODS: Group1: Normal Control animal received Distilled water, Group 2: Positive control (Only Stress), Group 3: Normal rats received an intermediate dose of Vitamin C (20mg/kg/day), Group 4: Stress + Low dose Vitamin C (10mg/kg/day), Group 5: Stress+ Intermediate dose Vitamin C (20mg/kg/day), Group 6: High dose Vitamin C (30mg/kg/day). On 16(th) day effect of stress on body weight, Reproductive organ weight, sperm parameters, and hormonal assay was studied.

RESULTS: In the present context, in stress group the sperm count, motility, testicular weight declined significantly. The intermediate dose and high dose of vitamin C showed significantly increased effect on the sperm count and motility.

CONCLUSION: Various physiological changes produced force swimming indicates that swimming is an effective model for producing stress in albino rats. The results suggest that Vitamin C supplementation improves the stress induced reproductive infertility due to both their testosterone increase effect and their antioxidant effect.

But aren't there human studies showing vitamin C reduces cortisol in athletes? So while vitamin C may not protect testes from damage, it is still useful as a way of managing high cortisol levels (which leads to catabolism) during PCT. Right?

But aren't there human studies showing vitamin C reduces cortisol in athletes? So while vitamin C may not protect testes from damage, it is still useful as a way of managing high cortisol levels (which leads to catabolism) during PCT. Right?
Athletes/bodybuilders don't really benefit from lowering cortisol levels and there is evidence that lowering it may be counterproductive.

Optimal Cortisol Levels for Maximum Muscle Gains

Can Blocking Cortisol Lead to Steroid-Like Muscle Gains?

Athletes/bodybuilders don't really benefit from lowering cortisol levels and there is evidence that lowering it may be counterproductive.

I obviously have some reading to do on the subject, but I should point out both articles you mention talk about how there's no benefit from lowering cortisol to unnaturally low levels, on the other hand, having unnaturally high cortisol levels is certainly not beneficial for your body either. It's on that second situation that giving the body a little boost by using a supplement can be valuable. And considering vitamin C is a widely available, OTC, safe and inexpensive supplement it seems harmless to use a little of it. As a water soluble vitamin the body will use as much of it as it needs and piss away the rest. I don't see how you can possibly lower your cortisol to unhealthy levels by using just vitamin C.

I obviously have some reading to do on the subject, but I should point out both articles you mention talk about how there's no benefit from lowering cortisol to unnaturally low levels, on the other hand, having unnaturally high cortisol levels is certainly not beneficial for your body either. It's on that second situation that giving the body a little boost by using a supplement can be valuable. And considering vitamin C is a widely available, OTC, safe and inexpensive supplement it seems harmless to use a little of it. As a water soluble vitamin the body will use as much of it as it needs and piss away the rest. I don't see how you can possibly lower your cortisol to unhealthy levels by using just vitamin C.

Yea man, when the Doc or Millard post I usually just read what they have to say as its usually over my head. They're just on a different level all together.

Back