What is YOUR personal brew method

How have you approached brewing? Time invested to brew?​

I'm looking to gather all the current practices. You can summarize them in a picture or just list a general outline. How long does it take you to make your batch?
  • Do you prepare one vial at a time, or do you produce your entire supply for the year?
  • How much have you spent on setup costs?
For me, I spent a bit over 250 dollars on everything I needed, including the raw materials. I had to find the best deals and get a proper hotplate, along with a good amount of filters. I planned for 10 years of brewing ahead of time and utilized AliExpress for most of my purchases. Here's my list of parts and general supplies:
  • 0.22 Micron PTFE Filters (50-pack): $36.58
  • 10-Pack Pre-Sterilized Vials: $6.55
  • Hotplate/Magnetic Stirrer: $42.10
  • Yieryi Electronic Scale (100g/50g/20g/10g): $15.39
  • Benzyl Alcohol USP Grade Solvent, 100 ml: $14.03
  • Benzyl Benzoate USP, 8 fl oz (237 ml): $11.83
  • Hexane Free Pure USP Grade Castor Oil, 16 oz: $14.69
  • Testosterone Cypionate Raw Powder, 100 grams: $90.00
  • Different Combination Laboratory Glass Beaker Borosilicate Measuring Glassware: $8.95
  • 20 ml Sterile Syringes, pack of 10: Approximately $10.00
  • 60 ml Sterile Syringes, pack of 5: Approximately $15.00
  • 23G 1.0 inch Dispensing Needles with Cap, 20 count: $3.99
  • 18G 1.0 inch Dispensing Needles with Cap, 20 count: $4.35
Feel free to share your own practices and costs! I'm really curious! For me I focused purely on budget costs! I really cared about money savings for this.

One thing I would say that seems crucial to the "method" is the hotplate/stirrer.
I know there are some talented gents out there who can brew on the stovetop but it is a lot tougher especially when things go wrong. $40-$50 for a hotplate/stirrer is money well spent IMO.

One thing I would say that seems crucial to the "method" is the hotplate/stirrer.
I know there are some talented gents out there who can brew on the stovetop but it is a lot tougher especially when things go wrong. $40-$50 for a hotplate/stirrer is money well spent IMO.
Yeah I got one but it's alot of trouble. It over shoots it's heating by alot constantly. You get what you pay for I guess.

Yeah I got one but it's alot of trouble. It over shoots it's heating by alot constantly. You get what you pay for I guess.
I saw that exchange in another thread. Mine doesn't overshoot like that. It seems to increase/decrease the output depending on the rate at which the temp is changing (hope that makes sense).
The model I have is Vevor SH-3ABE

EDIT: My apologies this model is more than $40. I could have sworn I went with the $40 model.

Does it have a thermocouple that sits in the liquid? If so move the thermocouple to the plate surface
Yes thermocouple I always just sat it in the liquid but of course it doesn't help. I found a video about this model and how you cna program it with a bunch of tweaks. I'll link it in a few. Haven't yet really figured it out. It's like it had a mind of its own though. Almost burned my brew up too.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240827_170156_AliExpress.jpg
    Screenshot_20240827_170156_AliExpress.jpg
    446 KB · Views: 8
I'm a little embarrassed to throw out a round about number I have spent on my recent honebrew adventure. However it is my thing atm that keeps me busy. I definantly didn't get into homebrew to save money on gear..I will that if I was to never buy anything else in relation to steriods I could still juice a small county for approximately 20 years..kind of embarrassed to say it out loud..

I'm a little embarrassed to throw out a round about number I have spent on my recent honebrew adventure. However it is my thing atm that keeps me busy. I definantly didn't get into homebrew to save money on gear..I will that if I was to never buy anything else in relation to steriods I could still juice a small county for approximately 20 years..kind of embarrassed to say it out loud..
I haven't done nearly the amount you have but I look at my stash and just shake my head!

I plan on doing the same but all personal use with the rare giving it out certain family members who are interested. Mainly all personal use though

Yes thermocouple I always just sat it in the liquid but of course it doesn't help. I found a video about this model and how you cna program it with a bunch of tweaks. I'll link it in a few. Haven't yet really figured it out. It's like it had a mind of its own though. Almost burned my brew up too.
Put the thermocouple touching the stir plate not in the liquid. The controller used in these cheap China stir plates is not suited for proper heat control when the thermocouple is in the liquid. Of course it's going to blast the heating element on high until the liquid reaches a set temp. This is a known issue in many other hobbies using these shitty stir plates.

I got 50 nylon ones for the same price from KS-TEK.. the shipping has been a little slow though.. they come from china.. where are those coming. From?