Where to get bottle top filters?!?

Deadp007

Where in the heck can I find in stock pvdf, nylon or ptfe bottle top filters .22um in the US?!?
Can find plenty of PES but BA & BB destroys them....

From what i’ve read so far those pes filters will only dissolve after high concentration of BA or after alot of volume. But i’m not 100% sure, maybe someone else could comment

I was able to get some wattman zapcap .2um nylon membrane and polypropylene housing filters.
BUT they are NOT labeled as being sterile. Anyone ever use "non-sterile" filters & did you try to clean them first? Maybe run x amount of alcohol thru it first?

Those will be PVDF most of the time. PES is useless for our purposes
But I found a seller on aliexpres and it said in the description something like the filter being pvdf but the material was PS. Is that oke ? Because the ps material was nit good enough right

But I found a seller on aliexpres and it said in the description something like the filter being pvdf but the material was PS. Is that oke ? Because the ps material was nit good enough right
It seems the material of the filter itself is not that important, usually PVDF and Nylon are the preferences.
But regarding the bottle top housing, this must be PolyPropylene instead of PolyStyrene. An UGL made some points about that saying that the PP ones are not crystal clear while the PS ones are completely transparent/clear.

PP housing bottle top filter:
IMG522_1000mL-PP-Bottle-Top-Filter-Nylon-0.20%C2%B5m.jpg

PS housing bottle top filter:
IMG331_150mL-Bottle-Top-Filter-0.22um.jpg

Filter Material:
polyethersulfone (PES) breaks down in solvents.
I think it's easier to list the compatible types. These are the ones I've read on here work,
PVDF, PTFE & Nylon.

Reservoir housing material:
polystyrene (PS) is the culprit with regards to breaking down when used with solvents & MCT

The kicker is to get the filter material & housing compatible units that are sterile.
I've got some non-sterile zapcaps but am concerned about using them.

It seems the material of the filter itself is not that important, usually PVDF and Nylon are the preferences.
But regarding the bottle top housing, this must be PolyPropylene instead of PolyStyrene. An UGL made some points about that saying that the PP ones are not crystal clear while the PS ones are completely transparent/clear.

PP housing bottle top filter:
IMG522_1000mL-PP-Bottle-Top-Filter-Nylon-0.20%C2%B5m.jpg

PS housing bottle top filter:
IMG331_150mL-Bottle-Top-Filter-0.22um.jpg
Thats right indeed, I read the same things on here. But, I have seen people having succes with the pvdf filter eith clear plastic (the ps plastic) so I gues that works then right ?

Thats right indeed, I read the same things on here. But, I have seen people having succes with the pvdf filter eith clear plastic (the ps plastic) so I gues that works then right ?
I really wonder this myself. Why aren't there more reports of PS plastic leaking into gear? Not that I doubt this information. I'm just curious what exactly causes it because many do just fine with PS plastic filters

I really wonder this myself. Why aren't there more reports of PS plastic leaking into gear? Not that I doubt this information. I'm just curious what exactly causes it because many do just fine with PS plastic filters
I agree Australian market only sells shit type but I never hear reports of issues and clearly the ugls aren’t just using syringe filters.

I bit the bullet and brought a nice autoclave and am just going to sterilise pp housing filters myself to avoid headaches.

I don’t know much about it, but I’m trying to think about what all variables there are:

-%bb
-%ba
-Total volume filtered
-Has the filter housing been reused?
-Porosity and age of housing (porosity shouldn’t be variable, but no manufacturing is a perfectly repeated process)

There’s probably one or two major variables I’m forgetting

My 2 cents. I've done 4 brews 18/2 with pes. As much as 250 mil one brew then 3 100 mil brews all came out fine no problems.

Back