12 lead EKG findings on AAS

AlphaCapa

I haven't seen too much data for 12 lead EKG's while using AAS. I thought it would be cool to show and tell.

image.jpg

12-lead EKG findings.

What's up everyone. I'll try to summarize this as well as I can without boring you or going into too much detail.
I decided to get a "12 lead" picture of my heart today. I was having chest pain and curious as to how AAS effects the heart on an acute level. Clearly, I'm no cardiologist, however, I do have a good understanding of pathophysiology and basic 12 lead EKG interpretation.
First, I will say that I do not have my old-prior EKG to compare this to but I do know that nothing was remarkable and was normal at the time of my last EKG (approx 4 months ago)

So, today at work, I was having a little substernal chest pain and wanted to run an EKG.

Here were the first findings.

I'll try not to butcher this too much. And if anyone has anything to add, please chime in.

And remember, EKG's can tell you an infinite amount of data if you're awesome at interpreting them. Again, I only have a little more than a basic understanding.

1. The red circles in leads II, III and aVF with the down sloping arrows are "T waves" which represent the repolarization or recovery of the ventricles of the heart. In most cases they're supposed to point upwards.
Inverted T waves can be many things; Pulmonary embolism, Miocardial Infarction, ischemia, amongst many other things. In this case it was peculiar because I was having chest pain at the time of the test.

2. "RVH" the circle with RVH is "Right Ventricular Hypertrophy" see how those long spikes called the "QRS" interval are peaked really high and go into the other ones above it?
The heart is a muscle, AAS increases the size of the heart as well. RVH is a sign of the heart growing, to meet the oxygen demands of the body. We all know, the right side of the heart is where it receives blood from the body via superior and inferior vena cava. In conclusion, the right side of my heart has grown bigger. Now, this is a common finding umongst lots of athletes or very active people. Nothing of too much concern.
However, I did NOT have this finding on my previous EKG months ago. I would absolutely attribute it to AAS use only because of the acute changes which differ from my previous EKG. Also, it will go down when I stop using AAS, hopefully.

In conclusion, t-wave inversion is suspect of a lot of things, but unlikely in this case since the rest of the EKG was normal. I could go into abnormal in more depth, but I fear this is boring everyone enough.
The RVH? Personally, I thinks it's pretty fucking cool to see my heart grow, also scary but interesting....very interesting.

"RVH" the circle with RVH is "Right Ventricular Hypertrophy"

In conclusion, the right side of my heart has grown bigger. Now, this is a common finding umongst lots of athletes or very active people. Nothing of too much concern.
However, I did NOT have this finding on my previous EKG months ago. I would absolutely attribute it to AAS use only because of the acute changes which differ from my previous EKG. Also, it will go down when I stop using AAS, hopefully.

Athlete's heart / AAS / weightlifting is associated with LEFT ventricular hypertrophy (LVH).

Here is an article by @Michael Scally MD about AAS-induced LVH:

https://thinksteroids.com/articles/anabolic-steroids-and-enlarged-heart/

I have used AAS since 1980,last cycles a couple years ago. I went a cardiologst and had the full check up,monitor for 24 hours,stress test,sonagram and everything was good.Heart was not enlarged,in fact doc was impressed with all the tests.i asked him about enlarged hearts and he called it runners heart and said the enlargement usually goes away by itself,of course this is without AAS use. I didnt tell him i used AAS,but he said to continue what im doing,exercising,no smoking and other bad habits.I was 68 years old when the tests were done.i had been off AAS for a couple of years when the tests were done...

Last edited:
Its really not extremely bad what you are showing there. Its rather a decision that cannot be made strictly on EKG analysis. You need a more in depth evaluation to rule out hypertrophy. Regardless it looks like a concern for more in depth evaluation. I would also get blood work done and look into your electrolyte levels. Its what could most certainly elevate the height of your QRS complex. Also you don't seem to have extreme axis deviation which is the cardinal sign for hypertrophy.

Regardless cardiac compromise with symptoms at times to catch it acutely need to be caught right on time. Otherwise it could come and go. I would look into greater detail with your doctors and rule out everything before sleeping on this. Also I wouldn't worry too much about RVH unless it is affecting your overall cardiac output. If you are feeling healthy and sane you can live with it. But your chest pain is obviously much more than that. There is some kind of oxygen deprivation that needs to be looked into.

Mind if i ask whats your steroid history?

Last edited:
Its really not extremely bad what you are showing there. Its rather a decision that cannot be made strictly on EKG analysis. You need a more in depth evaluation to rule out hypertrophy. Regardless it looks like a concern for more in depth evaluation. I would also get blood work done and look into your electrolyte levels. Its what could most certainly elevate the height of your QRS complex. Also you don't seem to have extreme axis deviation which is the cardinal sign for hypertrophy.

Regardless cardiac compromise with symptoms at times to catch it acutely need to be caught right on time. Otherwise it could come and go. I would look into greater detail with your doctors and rule out everything before sleeping on this. Also I wouldn't worry too much about RVH unless it is affecting your overall cardiac output. If you are feeling healthy and sane you can live with it. But your chest pain is obviously much more than that. There is some kind of oxygen deprivation that needs to be looked into.

Mind if i ask whats your steroid history?
I work in an ER so that's why I ran the 12 lead on myself. I had a few dr.s look at it.
My last bloods were fine, although my total test levels came back at 7,600.
My chest pain could have been contributed to the fact that it was actually "chest day" yesterday, although it didn't seem muscular. However, I experienced no shortness of breath with the pain.
My AAS history is, this is only my second cycle, 6 weeks in.
My QTC was fine so nobody was concerned it was electrolytes.
All in all, I had a few Er Dr friends just think that the inverted T waves were weird but that's about it.

Athlete's heart / AAS / weightlifting is associated with LEFT ventricular hypertrophy (LVH).

Cool, thanks for this. Good read!

Great post. I'm midway through my first cycle and administer ekgs frequently as well. I'll try to find time to run one on myself soon. I also have one from before my cycle

Ive also done this, but my chest wasnt feeling anything during the time of the EKG. I also went and did a stress test. My results were fine, but I was kinda freaked out. They said it could just be indigestion(I think), or anxiety, which I experience quite a bit.

Back