168 Beats Per Minute

Found these a few days ago.
They offer a different perspective to the articles linked above, so I decided to include them, here.
Not looking for confirmation bias or anything... :)

I wanted to make a little summary of each.
However, I started looking at them at 1.30am on Friday and there is so much information in there.

In the end, I am afraid all you are getting is the link, the title, the year of publication and the "conclusion" bit at the end.

Maybe someone will be interested and give them a quick read.
A lot of the stuff is quite interesting and in depth.

"Absence of cardiac damage induced by long term intensive endurance exercise training: a cardiac magnetic resonance and exercise echo radiography analysis in masters athletes" (2021)

[Conclusion: Despite significant physiological cardiac remodelling, consistent with previous descriptions of athlete's heart, there was no evidence of myocardial fibrosis or exercise left or right ventricular dysfunction or cardiac fibrosis in endurance athletes. Our results are not supporting the hypothesis of deleterious cardiac effects induced by long term and intensive endurance exercise training].

"May Strenuous Endurance Sports Activity Damage the Cardiovascular System of Healthy Athletes? A Narrative Review" (2022)

[ In conclusion, our review suggests that very intense sports activity may cause reversible electrocardiographic changes, myocardial dysfunction, and troponin elevation with complete recovery within a few days. The theory that repeated bouts of acute stress on the heart may lead to chronic myocardial damage creating a potentially dangerous arrhythmogenic substrate remains to be demonstrated. However, male, middle-aged individuals with a long, athletic career show an increased prevalence of cardiovascular abnormalities such as electrical conduction delay, AF, myocardial LGE, and coronary calcifications compared to non-athletes. However, the cause–effect relationship between such abnormalities and exercise and, most importantly, their prognostic relevance remains to be established. Moreover, evidence of any exercise-related adverse effects on the hearts of female athletes is lacking.

Pending future studies, we believe that when advising athletes about the pros and cons of exercise, we should apply the old Latin aphorism dosis sola facit venenum (“only the dose makes the poison”). There is no doubt that exercise is a medicine, and the recent European Society of Cardiology guidelines emphasized that adapted physical activity is beneficial for all cardiovascular patients, not just healthy individuals [88]. However, an increased number of middle-aged individuals desire to challenge their physical limits by engaging in ultra-endurance sports. We should warn these subjects that such extreme physical activities might damage not only their tendons and joints but also their hearts].

"The heart of the ageing endurance athlete: the role of chronic coronary stress" (2021)

[Conclusion: Regular physical exercise is imperative for the maintenance of optimal health and longevity and should be globally encouraged. There is emerging evidence that a proportion of athletes show high CAC scores, a higher plaque burden and myocardial fibrosis compared with age- and Framingham-matched controls. The mechanism and significance of these findings are unclear. Current limited data find no association between a high CAC score and all-cause mortality in master athletes].
interesting

The points I was referring to earlier were something I heard on Peter Attia's podcast, specifically with regard to ventricular stiffening. I searched quite a bit and couldn't come up with the reference, however. There are a couple of interesting episodes on this topic, specifically exercise for aging folks. Episode #217 is pretty good and talks about the J-curve dose-response relationship to exercise and a host of other interesting bits on preserving VO2Max while one ages. Episode #206 is an AMA with Peter who talks about specific protocols.

The tl;dr is that he does lots of zone 2 with one VO2Max session per week.

Found these a few days ago.
They offer a different perspective to the articles linked above, so I decided to include them, here.
Not looking for confirmation bias or anything... :)

I wanted to make a little summary of each.
However, I started looking at them at 1.30am on Friday and there is so much information in there.

In the end, I am afraid all you are getting is the link, the title, the year of publication and the "conclusion" bit at the end.

Maybe someone will be interested and give them a quick read.
A lot of the stuff is quite interesting and in depth.

"Absence of cardiac damage induced by long term intensive endurance exercise training: a cardiac magnetic resonance and exercise echo radiography analysis in masters athletes" (2021)

[Conclusion: Despite significant physiological cardiac remodelling, consistent with previous descriptions of athlete's heart, there was no evidence of myocardial fibrosis or exercise left or right ventricular dysfunction or cardiac fibrosis in endurance athletes. Our results are not supporting the hypothesis of deleterious cardiac effects induced by long term and intensive endurance exercise training].

"May Strenuous Endurance Sports Activity Damage the Cardiovascular System of Healthy Athletes? A Narrative Review" (2022)

[ In conclusion, our review suggests that very intense sports activity may cause reversible electrocardiographic changes, myocardial dysfunction, and troponin elevation with complete recovery within a few days. The theory that repeated bouts of acute stress on the heart may lead to chronic myocardial damage creating a potentially dangerous arrhythmogenic substrate remains to be demonstrated. However, male, middle-aged individuals with a long, athletic career show an increased prevalence of cardiovascular abnormalities such as electrical conduction delay, AF, myocardial LGE, and coronary calcifications compared to non-athletes. However, the cause–effect relationship between such abnormalities and exercise and, most importantly, their prognostic relevance remains to be established. Moreover, evidence of any exercise-related adverse effects on the hearts of female athletes is lacking.

Pending future studies, we believe that when advising athletes about the pros and cons of exercise, we should apply the old Latin aphorism dosis sola facit venenum (“only the dose makes the poison”). There is no doubt that exercise is a medicine, and the recent European Society of Cardiology guidelines emphasized that adapted physical activity is beneficial for all cardiovascular patients, not just healthy individuals [88]. However, an increased number of middle-aged individuals desire to challenge their physical limits by engaging in ultra-endurance sports. We should warn these subjects that such extreme physical activities might damage not only their tendons and joints but also their hearts].

"The heart of the ageing endurance athlete: the role of chronic coronary stress" (2021)

[Conclusion: Regular physical exercise is imperative for the maintenance of optimal health and longevity and should be globally encouraged. There is emerging evidence that a proportion of athletes show high CAC scores, a higher plaque burden and myocardial fibrosis compared with age- and Framingham-matched controls. The mechanism and significance of these findings are unclear. Current limited data find no association between a high CAC score and all-cause mortality in master athletes].
those were some lonng , good reads , thanks @iris

Back