2016 Presidential Election

Discussion in 'Political Discourse' started by BigNattyDaddy, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Mac11wildcat

Mac11wildcat Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

I disagree; results were not typical of midterms after a new presidents first half term. Rarely has a new president’s party made ground in either group (maybe 3 times in history?). Maintaining a stronger majority in senate is a much bigger deal than the house flipping, IMO.

KillaBig likes this.
  2. NorthMich

NorthMich Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

Fuck trump. Just sayin’

3. Mac11wildcat

Mac11wildcat Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

No

4. flenser

flenser Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

Hmm, I don't really agree with your criteria, but I'll go with it. Just in the Senate alone we have the following criteria matches:

James Monroe, Andrew Jackson, James Polk, Abraham Lincoln, Grover Cleveland, William McKinley, Woodrow Wilson, Franklin Roosevelt, John Kennedy, Richard Nixon, George W. Bush.

Could be others, but my query skills are rusty and there are partial terms and such complicating things. I imagine there would be a few matches for the house as well. So even by your criteria still pretty typical.

I was mostly referring to losing House seats and keeping the Senate (if it were already held).

5. I voted for myself for senate, Congress, State congress, state senate etc

6. cfreetenor

cfreetenor Member

So Montana and Arizona were basically stolen, and they’re working on Florida. Trying in Georgia.

So there’s that.

T-Bagger likes this.
  7. flenser

Election rigging is an American tradition - and may the best most crooked lawyers win. For me it has been very entertaining, though not as entertaining as watching Trump win in 2016. I don't think there was much actual cheating then, the Dems were so convinced they had it in the bag - old bag that is.

Trump and the Republicans now have 2 years to get some real oversight over the voting systems, or the Dems will take it all.

T-Bagger and Ultimatepip like this.
  8. flenser

Never been a fan of Ann Coulter - at least not since she promoted multiple ME wars for the neocons - but she does know what she's talking about here.

GOP to Dems: Here, Take Our Wallet Too!
    by Ann Coulter
    November 15, 2018

Republicans control the state legislature and governor’s office in Florida. They control the U.S. Congress and the presidency. If that’s not enough to prevent two statewide Florida elections from being stolen, the GOP is more useless than I’d already imagined.

Here’s a primer for Mitch McConnell and Paul Ryan on how to deal with all the Senate and House election “recounts” that keep magically flipping seats to the Democrats.

In 1974, Republican Louis Wyman won his race for U.S. Senate in New Hampshire, beating Democrat John Durkin by 355 votes. Durkin demanded a recount — which went back and forth by a handful of votes until the state’s Ballot Law Commission concluded that Wyman had indeed won.

Wyman was certified the winner by the New Hampshire secretary of state and was on his way to Washington, D.C., when … the Senate refused to seat him. New Hampshire’s certification of Wyman as the winner meant nothing, because, you see, Democrats held a majority in the Senate.

The Senate spent months examining disputed ballots. Unable to come up with any method whereby they could declare the Democrat the winner, the Senate forced New Hampshire to hold another election.

Demoralized Republicans stayed home and, this time, the Democrat won.

9. cfreetenor

cfreetenor Member

Coulter has been on point for the last few years.

flenser likes this.
  10. T-Bagger

T-Bagger Member

Fucking democrats

Ultimatepip likes this.