Benching with an arched back.

Discussion in 'Training Forum' started by Tiny giant, May 24, 2019.

1. Mayne

Mayne Member

No it is the widest grip in IPF (index finger on the ring), that is Eddie Berglund, IPF record holder in the 66 kilogram division right now

2. T-Lab

T-Lab Member

That makes sense. I feel like there should be a limit to that. Not everyone has the mobility to turn it into a 2” movement. Really its’s just a way of bending the rules to get the lift. Because we know they couldn’t push that with a longer ROM.

Tiny giant likes this.
  3. LeoTC

LeoTC Member

We're not all Michael Jordan, are MJ's accomplishments diminished by that fact?

It's just another standard of athleticism applied to the athlete's sport of choice. Just because you or I can't arch like that doesn't invalidate the lift.

People using someone else's ability to excuse their shortcomings, whatever those may be, is always a bad look.

If you want to build around straight power, launch a fed that benches flat, squats high, and deadlifts with a closed stance.

Employ stringent testing to eliminate PED use as well.

But...you're still going to have those that are genetically gifted. That's just life.

My take anyway.

Tiny giant likes this.
  4. Mayne

Mayne Member

Overarching is nearly cheating, you ignore the elbow bending and turn a bench into what would be quarter squat if we change the movement for the example. Yeah it is allowed but it is also retarded, just as is the sumo deadlift on texas or elephant bar. Powerlifting rules are dumb all over anyway, you are allowed to do sumo but not bench on your toes, you are allowed to arch but not lift your head on the bench and on and on. Make the bench with required 90 degrees elbow bend, make the squat ATG and remove the atrocity of sumo deadlift and maybe it will be a sport not to be taken as a joke by the oly weightlifters, if you watch the European or Worlds where Eddie Berglund and Owen Hubbard participate they are "booed" instead of cheered on

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  5. T-Lab

T-Lab Member

Why would you want them to squat high? That would be easier just like arching more. I’m not following.

I’m not even a powerlifting competitor so it doesn’t effect me. Im just saying if I were, IMO there should be a limit on the arch. Being that it has nothing to do with strength in a strength sport and is much less TUT and ROM.

6. Perrin Aybara

Perrin Aybara Member

There's a fed that's related to Starting Strength somehow where they do overhead press instead of bench, only conventional deadlift, and weigh ins after your third deadlift attempt. Not sure their stance on gear usage.

7. LeoTC

LeoTC Member

My low bar squat has about 75Lbs on my high bar...

There's a reason most squat low in competition.

8. Mayne

Mayne Member

I think it is in regard to high vs low bar position

9. T-Lab

T-Lab Member

So you are saying to make people squat using high bar, because some people can arch further? I’m still not following.

10. LeoTC

LeoTC Member

Overhead is, honestly, a better measure of overall strength.

That said, I know a lot of competitions featured an OHP way back when. You saw the same thing eventually - arching to put more load on the chest coming out of the hole.

I might need to look into that further though as its definitely got my curiosity piqued.

Perrin Aybara likes this.
  11. LeoTC

LeoTC Member

Going LB is a matter of technique over strength. Just the same, arching is all about technique.

Just the same, the feds that allow wide stance and sumo pulls. That's technique over strength.

So eliminate it all - flat back presses, high bar squats, closed stance conventional pulls.

Complaining that someone else arches better than you is...stupid. It's really no different than just complaining about someone being stronger.

They have a skill / ability that you don't.

Get over it? -\('_')/-

12. Perrin Aybara

Perrin Aybara Member

US Strengthlifting Federation is the name of it. I do like the idea of training OHP more than bench, but I'm a sumo pulling cheater, lol. I'd probably do one for fun if there was one near me though. Give me a reason to work on conventional for a few months.

LeoTC likes this.
  13. Mayne

Mayne Member

Anthropometry plays a big role in the OHP which would make it extremely hard to judge, that and arching is why it was eventually taken out as an oly lift which I agree with even it is by far my favorite exercise and the epitome of upper body strength indeed

LeoTC likes this.
  14. Perrin Aybara

Perrin Aybara Member

Yeah, some guys were able to turn OHP into a standing flat bench. Curious how strict that Strengthlifting fed is on judging it.

LeoTC likes this.
  15. Mayne

Mayne Member

I would be interested to watch a meet of theirs also, I think establishing the starting position for the OHP is extremely hard too, based on your body type you may or may not be able to start from touching your chest and with the optimal grip width which is why I think bench is chosen more often

LeoTC and Perrin Aybara like this.
  16. T-Lab

T-Lab Member

Except that it has nothing to do with being stronger so it’s nowhere close to the same thing lmao. And you are talking about completely eliminating a technique that anyone can do vs limiting the arch so again nowhere near the same thing.

17. T-Lab

T-Lab Member

You’re getting way too worked up and carried away about my worthless opinion. I wasn’t even complaining. I personally IF I was a competitor would not want to be going up against someone with a 2” bench press. That’s it. And I don’t even compete so who cares!?

18. Mayne

Mayne Member

I have to add here as I was the one to yell against sumo that I am in particular talking about pulling sumo with a texas or elephant bar, narrow grip to abuse the whip which has nothing to do with strength but is just abusing physics and the equipment, I think sumo is hard enough in it's own way if you do it on a bar which doesn't have exaggerated whip. Abusing the whip or dipping before the jerk is banned in IWF too.

LeoTC and Perrin Aybara like this.
  19. LeoTC

LeoTC Member

I don't think anyone's getting worked up?

You weren't tracking, so I clarified. Either way, technique is technique. I'd be willing to bet that anyone with the mobility to arch that high would. Especially when endorsements and prize money are tied to performance and total.

Same as any sport.

If I were in the NBA I'd hate to run up against the Bulls in their 90's hey day. So much latent talent and flat out genetically gifted athletes.

But it is what it is.

20. Perrin Aybara

Perrin Aybara Member

It's all good, I was just joking about it being cheating. It's allowed in my fed and it allows me to pull more weight, so I do it. I prefer conventional myself, but in the end the idea is to lift more weight by the rules of your federation. There's no asterisks in the record books for excessive arching or pulling sumo after all.

Tiny giant, Mayne and LeoTC like this.