Benefits to training one arm with the other incapacitated

nellwall

So I will be having surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff soon and I am told I will have my arm immobilized for six weeks. If I continue to train my other arm will this have any crossover benefits when I start using the repaired one again? Or..... should I just take some time off and train legs the best I can?

i think using the one arm will inadvertently impair/reinjure the other arm during the exercises, theyre still both part of your upper body and everything is connected.. its just 6 weeks, not going to get bigger or better during that time. dont want to rush anything and set yourself back further, surgeries are very stressful on the body and need all the healing resources the body has, no point in training other muscles and repairing them when youre repairing a surgery..

I have had a couple shoulder surgeries. And have been back in the gym training my torso and other 3 appendages the best i can in a few days,. According to my reading and the orthopedic surgeons i have talked to training the non injured arm will still stimulate the nerves in the repaired arm causing less atrophy, even though no real contractions happen. And in general movement helps healing as long as a person is reasonable about it. I have always recovered in far less time then Dr.s ordinally outlined. A good healthy diet with protein, healthy fats and veggies geos along way to recovering in my experience.

I had a total distal biceps rupture a year ago April. My arm was completely incapacitated either in a sling with a splint or a brace that prevented any bending. I agree with Buck and Liter, keep moving and training, it will speed recovery, but dial back the intensity significantly especially early on as you'll be liable to strain the injured area.