• ATTENTION New Members: Please take a few moments to introduce yourself, show your commitment to harm reduction, and chat with the community in the "New Member Introduction" subforum. This will help unlock access to additional forum features and privileges.

Bumper Plates ... Why?

LivEx

During my pandemic search for weights on craigslist/offerup I've seen quite a few people selling bumper plates. I've also seen them at cross fit gyms but I'm not fluent in that language...

I'm assuming damage from weight drops, which there's padding for? But I see they take up so much room on the bar!

What advantages are there for bumper plates?

bumper plates.jpg

They're good for Olympic lifts where you might need to drop the bar. There's not enough room on a bar for something like deadlift though.

They're good for Olympic lifts where you might need to drop the bar. There's not enough room on a bar for something like deadlift though.

I hear you. Its a damn shame cause they look pretty sexy! (been looking @ weights all week):cool:

Someone has used color ones like this for $1/lb on Offerup but the deadlift spacing is the deal killer.

Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 6.14.52 PM.png

Had no idea. Thanks! Guess I didn’t do enough research. I doubt I’ll be pushing the limits anytime soon but better planning for the long run. Not like anyplace has them in stock right now.

Not like anyplace has them in stock right now.
Who would've thought this pandemic would equate to gold for gym products. A dude out here has a 5,000 sq/ft warehouse of used gym equipment and is pretty much sold out except ellipticals and 1 movement machines. Weights, bars, racks, db's (even those 2lb pink db's) all gone!!

Every crisis will have winners and losers...

they are made for snatcher and clean-and-jerkers who drop the weight. in bodyuilding they can work in exercises which might fall.

They are actually for Instagramers who want to look like they are lifting a shit ton of weight, what looks like 500lbs is actually only 200. Jk- Jk “partly” :p

They are actually for Instagramers who want to look like they are lifting a shit ton of weight, what looks like 500lbs is actually only 200. Jk- Jk “partly” :p

True, you see a dozen multicolored plates on each side and they don't mention the actual weight on the bar lol.

I like using a bumper as my first set of plates on deadlift, it makes the bar more sturdy when you add more plates.

I like using a bumper as my first set of plates on deadlift, it makes the bar more sturdy when you add more plates.
I was going to say this, most of the bumpers I’ve come across are an extra inch or two in circumference compared to normal 45’s, so if you put them on first it lets you load and unload for deadlifts and without having to awkwardly row the bar.

they are made for snatcher and clean-and-jerkers who drop the weight. in bodyuilding they can work in exercises which might fall.

Reminds me of a guy in our gym. Like most gyms we have pads around the racks to protect the floor and deaden the noise. We also have the rubber plates to use when power lifting. But we have a guy that not only moves back off the padding, but insists on using the iron plates when deadlifting and then drops the weight from the waist after his sets, I guess so everyone can see (hear) how much he's lifting ( which actually isn't that much really). I never understood in the first place why deadlifters have to drop the weights, unless they are doing a PR and just can't hang on or something. Seems to me if you can pick it up you can put it down :^ /
Sorry for the derail.

Reminds me of a guy in our gym. Like most gyms we have pads around the racks to protect the floor and deaden the noise. We also have the rubber plates to use when power lifting. But we have a guy that not only moves back off the padding, but insists on using the iron plates when deadlifting and then drops the weight from the waist after his sets, I guess so everyone can see (hear) how much he's lifting ( which actually isn't that much really). I never understood in the first place why deadlifters have to drop the weights, unless they are doing a PR and just can't hang on or something. Seems to me if you can pick it up you can put it down :^ /
Sorry for the derail.

The plates were implemented because as records surpassed previous, the old rule of lowering the weight from overhead to platform ws phased out. Before, they made the regulation plate size, as to have the bar roll over the head if the athlete tumbled.

Sorry for the derail.

Dropping the weight from the waist is obnoxious and would get you three red lights at a powerlifting meet. I prefer iron plates over the bumpers though because I can't fit enough bumpers on the bar to deadlift with. Sounds like that isn't a problem for that dude. Weak ego lifters that don't even realize they're weak are funny.