Forum Etiquette Childish and sophomoric personal disputes

Millard

Elite
Staff member
10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Moderators don't have time to babysit/referee childish/sophomoric personal disputes in this thread.

As far as death threats are concerned, the use of "drop dead" as a figure of speech is an interesting point of discussion.

It is not dissimilar, if somewhat sanitized version, to phrases such as "go to hell" or "fuck you". Is it literally wishing death on someone anymore than "go to hell" is wishing eternal pain and suffering? Or "fuck you" is wishing sexual violence upon someone else?

Where do moderators draw the line? Actual threats? Wishful threats? Hypothetical threats? Or figures of speech like the aforementioned?

It is a slippery slope.

And one thing I've learned from 25 years of forum moderation is that everyone is eager to apply the rules to people they dislike or want to censor. But when it comes to the fair and equal application of the rules to their own behavior, they become outraged, and feel unjustly censored.

As far as I'm concerned, the bigger issue is that so many members feel selfishly entitled to shit all over this forum with off-topic, childish, personal disputes that interfere with the intended harm reductions objectives of the forum and ruins the forum experience for everyone else.

My recommendations:

1) Don't do it.
2) Do it in private.
3) Do it in an off-topic thread.

Timeout. “Fuk you” is wishing sexual violence on someone?
Aging Lethal Weapon GIF

Timeout. “Fuk you” is wishing sexual violence on someone?
Aging Lethal Weapon GIF
Kinda the point of the statement.

Neither of the examples are to be taken "literally." I'm bad at coming up with analogies like that but it was a very effective way of re-framing the actual meaning of "drop dead."

Now go fuck yourself! (That is a complete honest to God joke BTW....lol)

I feel like this thread could become a new SUB-FORUM to just automatically place all childish and sophomoric disputes. An idea is born...lol.

Back