Detection of anabolic-androgenic steroids in e-cigarettes ...

Michael Scally MD

Doctor of Medicine
10+ Year Member
Any thoughts, info, etc. as to this being effective?

Open Access

Harries RL, Norman C, Reid R, Nic Daéid N, Nisbet LA. Detection of anabolic-androgenic steroids in e-cigarettes seized from prisons: A case study. Forensic Sci Int. 2024 Mar;356:111965. doi: 10.1016/j.forsciint.2024.111965. Epub 2024 Feb 10. PMID: 38359752.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S037907382400046X?via%3Dihub

Highlights

• Anabolic-androgenic steroids detected in vape pods seized in Scottish prisons.
  • 4 of 5 samples contained more than one illicit substance.
  • Illustrates a potential new mode of use for anabolic-androgenic steroids.

The administration of new psychoactive substances (NPS), in particular synthetic cannabinoid receptor agonists (SCRAs), via e-cigarettes, within prison settings has been well publicized. This study provides an overview of five e-cigarette case samples seized from Scottish prisons between May 2022 and July 2023 where the anabolic-androgenic steroids (AASs) mestanolone and oxandrolone were identified following gas chromatography-mass spectrometry (GC-MS) analysis. These e-cigarette samples represented 2.9% of all samples containing e-cigarette cartridges (n = 170) and 9.4% of all samples found to contain AASs (n = 53) seized during the same time period. The AASs were detected in combination with other drugs, including cocaine, Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol (Δ9-THC), SCRAs and nicotine. This represents a new and novel route of administration for AASs.

I guess Scottish prison wouldn't be half bad.

I would be curious as to the level of concentration in the cartridges, or the total amount of substance that could actually be absorbed by inhalation. Doesn't seem like you'd be able to ingest an amount of any significance. Although, plenty of time on your hands to inhale when you're locked up.

Nice to see you around, @Michael Scally MD

I guess Scottish prison wouldn't be half bad.

I would be curious as to the level of concentration in the cartridges, or the total amount of substance that could actually be absorbed by inhalation. Doesn't seem like you'd be able to ingest an amount of any significance. Although, plenty of time on your hands to inhale when you're locked up.

Nice to see you around, @Michael Scally MD

Most drugs are extremely potent through inhalation. But that’s because those drugs act by hitting the brain and signaling reactions.

I imagine it would be much less effective for anabolics since it has to actually circulate and bind to receptors, and have somewhat stable levels over time. I Could be completely wrong though. It does seem like it could be one hell of a preworkout. Imagine taking a huge puff of mtren to the dome before a PR or sporting competition.

Most drugs are extremely potent through inhalation. But that’s because those drugs act by hitting the brain and signaling reactions.

I imagine it would be much less effective for anabolics since it has to actually circulate and bind to receptors, and have somewhat stable levels over time. I Could be completely wrong though. It does seem like it could be one hell of a preworkout. Imagine taking a huge puff of mtren to the dome before a PR or sporting competition.
I mean, when you use drugs via vaporization, just as much is circulating in your peripheral blood as in your brain. It's not like it partitions the substance more towards the brain or anything, you're just skipping first pass metabolism like sublingual, intranasal, intrarectal, IM, IV, etc.

It'd be interesting to see how potent they are that way. I could easily see one getting effects like 50mg of var a day from the smaller 1ml cartridges. Potentially up to 500mg+ depending much they're able to shove into solution at 1ml.

I meant more along the lines of how much vaping one would need to do to reach an equivalent of say 750mg of testosterone or deca? Sure, I imagine you can absorb an effective dose of mtren but those cartridges have what, .25ml in them? How're you getting an effective dose of test crammed into that thing?

I meant more along the lines of how much vaping one would need to do to reach an equivalent of say 750mg of testosterone or deca? Sure, I imagine you can absorb an effective dose of mtren but those cartridges have what, .25ml in them? How're you getting an effective dose of test crammed into that thing?
Generally 1-2ml.

Welcome back man

But yeah the amount of cartridges you would need to actually get a solid dosage is probably astronomical. If you think how ineffective the gel treatments are, I'd assume It's less effective than the transdermal gels?

Yeah this is what I was wondering I don't think I worded my question too well though (if at all). I'd love to see how much and how often you'd need to smoke in order to keep stable TRT or blasting levels. When I think of vapes I still imagine the douchey 2010s cloud machines that everyone had. I just pictured someone blowing clouds of a cutting mix lmao.

This is the type of research I'd contribute funding too just because of my curiosity.

Daym I wonder if they were smoking it Or squishing the liquid out and injecting or ingesting it. Would it even have an effect if smoked ?

Last edited:
Any thoughts, info, etc. as to this being effective?

Open Access

Harries RL, Norman C, Reid R, Nic Daéid N, Nisbet LA. Detection of anabolic-androgenic steroids in e-cigarettes seized from prisons: A case study. Forensic Sci Int. 2024 Mar;356:111965. doi: 10.1016/j.forsciint.2024.111965. Epub 2024 Feb 10. PMID: 38359752.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S037907382400046X?via%3Dihub

Highlights

• Anabolic-androgenic steroids detected in vape pods seized in Scottish prisons.
  • 4 of 5 samples contained more than one illicit substance.
  • Illustrates a potential new mode of use for anabolic-androgenic steroids.

The administration of new psychoactive substances (NPS), in particular synthetic cannabinoid receptor agonists (SCRAs), via e-cigarettes, within prison settings has been well publicized. This study provides an overview of five e-cigarette case samples seized from Scottish prisons between May 2022 and July 2023 where the anabolic-androgenic steroids (AASs) mestanolone and oxandrolone were identified following gas chromatography-mass spectrometry (GC-MS) analysis. These e-cigarette samples represented 2.9% of all samples containing e-cigarette cartridges (n = 170) and 9.4% of all samples found to contain AASs (n = 53) seized during the same time period. The AASs were detected in combination with other drugs, including cocaine, Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol (Δ9-THC), SCRAs and nicotine. This represents a new and novel route of administration for AASs.
I can only imagine how expensive this would be. Cocaine, steroids and weed all in one vape.

Your not

Researchers suspected the prisoners adding AAS to cartridges - mostly unintentionally from contamination but maybe sometimes intentionally.

If intentionally. they speculate it was done due to lack of injecting equipment (sounds like desperation and wishful thinking rather than practical efficacy if true) but most of AAS were orally-active. So I don't know. Doesn't make sense to me.

"This indicates it is likely the AAS was not the primary drug intended to be vaped by the prisoners. Prisoners are often unaware of the exact drugs they are taking [9], and therefore it is possible that prisoners are unintentionally vaping AASs. The presence of AASs may also be due to contamination, such as from prisoners handling or storing different drugs together or improperly cleaned production equipment, such as tablet presses. However, in sample 5, the AAS was the only illicit substance found, which may indicate intentional vaping of AASs.

Since 2009, online forum posts have been observed on Vapor Talk [34] and Reddit [28] questioning the potential for vaping AASs. General disapproval and jest was expressed in the comment section within multiple sub-reddit posts (/r/moreplatesmoredates, /r/steroids, /r/SteroidsUK) about vaping AASs, suggesting this is not a common practice outside of prisons. These enquiries were usually asked within steroid sub-Reddit's with most respondents enquiring as to the purpose when oral and injection are already established methods and vaping makes for inconsistent dosing. This suggests prisoners may be experimenting with this new method of administration due to the lack of injecting equipment and wide availability of e-cigarettes within the prisons."