DHB (misnomer, it is 1-Testosterone) versus Tren: is it more like Primo or a "Tren lite"? [Author: Type-IIx]

Type-IIx

DHB (1-Testo) vs. Tren

Author: Type-IIx

On the matter of whether so-called "DHB" (this is not its accepted chemical identifier per the nomenclature; it is entirely unlike Boldenone [EQ] and not an EQ metabolite) is more like Primo or Tren, from a chemistry standpoint, it is completely unlike Tren and very similar to Primo.

1-Testosterone
17β-hydroxy-5alpha-androst-1-en-3-one; 17-hydroxyandrost-1-en-3-one; 1-Testo; alternatively, as errata, DHB or Dihydroboldenone
17β-hydroxy-5α-androst-1-en-3-one (A-7 in Vida)

non-aromatizable, non-5α-reducible.

1-Testosterone_300.MesoRx.png

An androst-1-ene-3-one (similar to Primobolan & Stenbolone [both are accepted as relatively attenuated androgens reduced in androgenicity and appropriate for cutting and for use in women]): double bond at C-1,2

Vida (A-7): 200:100 anabolic/androgenic ratio

Misconception that 1-Testo is the 5α-reductase product in man of boldenone

From Boldenone (EQ) metabolism:

no meaningful 5α-reduced metabolites (5 alpha-androst-1-ene-3,17-dione in miniscule amounts [which is decidely not 1-Test]).

Metabolism of 1-Testo

Lacks the delta-4 double bond of testosterone, having a 1,2 double bond instead. This means that 1-Testo will not aromatise, and it will not 5α-reduce in androgen-sensitive tissues like testosterone can (since it's 5α-reduced already). However, due to its particular metabolism, its primary metabolite is DHT! Metabolism is limited, to a large extent, to reduction of the double bond and hydroxylation of the 3-ketone.

1-Testo produces as urine metabolites:

* 5α-dihydrotestosterone ("DHT")
* 5α-androst-1-ene-3α,17β-diol
* 5α-androst-1-ene-3,17-dione
* 5α-androst-1-ene-3α-ol-17-one
* 1-epitestosterone

It is noteworthy that 1-Testosterone's primary metabolite is 5α-DHT: as it is already 5α-reduced, one would infer that it is not a substrate for 5α-reductase, and therefore does not produce 5α-DHT.

There is currently no explanation for its yielding DHT as a metabolite aside from speculation that some enzyme, heretofore unidentified, is responsible for 1,2-dihydrogenation of this androst-1-ene-3-one (Peter Bond, personal communication). It is unlikely that 1-Test's acting as a prohormone to DHT results in increased skeletal muscle bioavailability as it will still be 3α-reduced by AKR1C1, AKR1C2, AKR1C3, & AKR1C4 (C3 being demonstrated to be expressed in human skeletal muscle).

Practical considerations (against the use of 1-Testosterone)

Anecdotally, blood test results demonstrate an increase in C-reactive protein (CRP) ["inflammation"] in common 1-Testo injectable preparations. It is difficult to keep in solution, so the product frequently "crashes" and it is known to cause unbearable "PIP" [post-injection pain].

Signs of hepatic strain in rats. The concentration/dosage used of 1 mg/kg bodyweight (rodent) for 12 days is roughly equivalent to 112 mg weekly for a 100 kg bodyweight man.

Guaiacol is a chemical irritant, a disinfectant, and cough expectorant. It is classified as a hazardous chemical.

From WHO, IARC:

According to the World Health Organization's International Agency for Research on cancer, guiaicol is probably carcinogenic to humans. From: IARC. Monographs on the Evaluation of the Carcinogenic Risk of Chemicals to Humans. Geneva: World Health Organization, International Agency for Research on Cancer, 1972-PRESENT. (Multivolume work). [link redacted],p. S7 177 (1987).

Adverse effects in humans include:

Neurotoxin - Acute solvent syndrome

Occupational hepatotoxin - Secondary hepatotoxins: the potential for toxic effect in the occupational setting is based on cases of poisoning by human ingestion or animal experimentation.

Nephrotoxin - The chemical is potentially toxic to the kidneys in the occupational setting.

Dermatotoxin - Skin burns.

Its use orally in humans acutely induces gastrointestinal, behavioral, tremor, and other changes.

From what I have seen, 1-Testo seems to always lead to elevated C-reactive protein (CRP), whether directly due to its inflammatory or immunogenic effects starting in muscle tissue, or due to guaiacol, or both. CRP is a liver-secreted marker of systemic inflammation that has some predictive power in cardiovascular/thrombotic risk, and is especially dangerous when elevated along with Lp(a) and LDL.

1-Testo would appear to exert its full spectrum of activity (i.e., is almost certainly subject to a sigmoidal S-curve dose/response) by AR agonism. Its optimal dose is likely that which stimulates maximal N retention. It lacks the unique features of Tren to be discussed in the following section (e.g., decreased PPARγ, decreased GR number, increased SC responsiveness to mIGF-I, etc.)

Trenbolone
α-Me-17α-OH-PR; 17β-hydroxy-4,9,11-estratrien-3-one; TBOH
17β-acetoxy-3-oxoestra-4,9,11-triene (Tren Ace)

Trenbolone_300.MesoRx.png

Non-5α-reducible, non-estrogenic synthetic testosterone analogue. A triene (Δ4,9,11) steroid.
* The double bonds at C-4,5, C-9,10, & C-11,12 serve to flatten the steroid (so it can be visualized as slicing into the AR like a knife) but also broadens its homology (increases its affinity for GR, PR, ER, & likely MR).

Tren is insulin sensitizing via decreased PPARγ expression (anti-adipogenic, anti-hyperglycemic), increased muscular IGF-I activity (augments the satellite cell proliferative response to mIGF-I; increases the muscle isoform IGF-IEb mRNA expression, 3.6x) and decreased GR number (anti-catabolic). Relative cardiac harm derives from inhibition of cortisol oxidation and exerting MR action, aggravating atherosclerosis via MR activation and inflammatory processes in the vascular endothelium. Non-5α-reducible, non-estrogenic. Some considerations include reduced GH pulse amplitude and duration (resulting in decreased serum IGF-I).

Conclusion

These two androgens appear as opposite in potency and effects as could be. One is an androst-1-ene-3-one and the other a triene (Δ4,9,11) steroid. Neither provide for basal estrogen (e.g., important for bone metabolism, lipid metabolism, some increase in skeletal muscle size, etc.) One (1-Test) may act as a prohormone to DHT (but not selective in androgen-dependent tissues).

The bodybuilding community’s dosing (belying a sort of informal good enough dose/response relationship) readily belies the differences in potency between the compounds. For example, while 700+ mg of 1-Test is commonplace for modest cosmetic benefits, few would use Tren at this dosage (but rather, quite lower) and expect similar physique outcomes.

Whereas 1-Testo would appear to exert its full spectrum of activity (i.e., is almost certainly subject to a sigmoidal S-curve dose/response) by AR agonism and optimal dosing is likely that which stimulates maximal N retention, Tren is insulin sensitizing via decreased PPARγ expression (anti-adipogenic, anti-hyperglycemic), increasesmuscular IGF-I activity (augments the satellite cell proliferative response to mIGF-I; increases the muscle isoform IGF-IEb mRNA expression, 3.6x), and decreases GR number (anti-catabolic). Tren’s relative cardiac harm derives from inhibition of cortisol oxidation and exerting MR action, aggravating atherosclerosis via MR activation and inflammatory processes in the vascular endothelium. While Tren reduces systemic liver-secreted IGF-I, 1-Testo has no effect.

To illustrate Tren’s potency, consider that:

1. The 350 mg weekly Tren Ace first-time Tren cycle advice originates from Bill Roberts’ writings in the 1990s (he was a very intelligent man, but was excessive at times in his compound & dosage recommendations).

2. Trenbolone acetate’s human equivalent dose (HED):

HED(mg/kg) = (200mg/545kg) * (96/37) = 0.95 mg/kg (total)

Synovex Implant (Elanco) "Component® TE-200 with Tylan®" [Catalog #: 102-8495] contains 200mg TBA, 20mg E2; duration of activity 80 - 90 days

weekly HED(mg/kg) = 0.95 mg/kg * (7/85) ≈ 0.078 mg/kg weekly (or 7.8 mg for 100kg man)...

AR density in cattle

Androgens are considered to be classical anabolic agents in humans, but in bovids like cattle and sheep they are less active - corresponding to lower androgen receptor (AR) concentrations in muscle (0.1-0.5 fmol/mg) which is, on average, only one quarter of the concentration of ER

It follows that humans are actually more responsive (excluding differential effects of human metabolism, i.e., weakening of the parent steroid, that are substantial) to an equimolar dose of trenbolone acetate versus bovid with respect to AR-mediated muscle cell responsiveness.

While it does not follow that 10 mg of trenbolone acetate weekly is > a Synovex implant in inducing human skeletal muscle hypertrophy, it can certainly be stated confidently that 350 mg trenbolone acetate is an extremely high dose.

The same cannot at all be stated with respect to 1-Test.

References available upon request by private message (intended as an informal posting)

Incredible Post. Very informative and accurate.

The DHB vs Tren topic has been hot lately.

I took matters into my own hands by running both separately and recently running both simultaneously.

Great synergy with these two bad boys.

The info/facts stated in Type-IIx’s post is spot on.

Incredible Post. Very informative and accurate.

The DHB vs Tren topic has been hot lately.

I took matters into my own hands by running both separately and recently running both simultaneously.

Great synergy with these two bad boys.

The info/facts stated in Type-IIx’s post is spot on.
Is it worth the PIP tho, the fever, that's the question. BTW; did you lean out on DHB? I couldn't quite tell if DHB had a leaning effect. Tren obviously sucks you in due to GR and MR interaction, cortisol etc. Does DHB do anything similar? From what I gather in OP's post DHB seems kinda basic in it's method of action, straight AR agonism and some metabolism into DHT(which I suppose would help dry you out)

I wonder why people on the forums always talk about DBH as being some super rocket fuelled nutrient partioner and this amazing exotic compound, when on paper it appears to not be that way at all

Last edited:
Is it worth the PIP tho, the fever, that's the question.
The PIP is not worth it if it is deleterious to your daily life and bodybuilding aspirations.

What I mean by this is if the PIP is so bad that you are limping around like you got stabbed for a week, or you can't train a muscle group properly, or the PIP inflammation is causing headaches/fatigue, etc.. you get the idea.

Now that you've researched/found a source that can brew DHB properly ...
(idk the specifics but some sources brew it with less PIP than others. Anything over 100mg/ml is a red flag imo)

Here are things you can do to make DHB work for you (AVOIDING PIP)

1. Mix the DHB with your Test + any other oils (VERY IMPORTANT)
2. Do smaller injections everyday, I even split my daily shots on smaller bilateral muscles like medial delts (VERY IMPORTANT)
3. Rotating many different muscle sites is the name of the game with DHB. (VERY IMPORTANT)
4. Heat up your oil just before injection (not super necessary but helps)
5. Perform injections as 'smoothly' as possible. Slowww and steady.
6. DO NOT pin a virgin muscle with DHB for the first time.
7. Mentally Accept that you will sometimes have a bad shot and deal with a big swollen knot for the rest of the week. This is bound to happen sometimes but if its happening too often then you are doing something wrong.

By using these tricks & tips, I've had very little PIP issues with DHB. Just some aches.

Hope this helps.

- Jake

Last edited:
Yeah it's fine, PIP is manageable, nice write-up tho, I do appreciate that.
So how did you like DHB? For me I couldn't really point out a specific thing that I felt the DHB was doing for me. DId you notice anything that stood out to you when running the DBH?

Actually I take that back, I THINK that DHB made me quite vascular, but not entirely certain, since I was also quite low bodyfat at the time of using DHB
Like most AAS the nitrogen retention was very nice. No bloat/water. In fact DHB drew out water from my midsection. Pumps are great!

Obviously it's all dose dependent. I never went above 350mg but I am a smaller guy compared to the DHB praisers on this forum.

Never tried Primo but its exactly what I'd imagine ~700mg Primo would be to ~400 DHB.

^ But I could be totally over estimating. Someone more knowledgable can chime in on this claim.

The 2 biggest things I noticed with DHB was the great vascularity, pumps, and e2 lowering effects.

Like most AAS the nitrogen retention was very nice. No bloat/water. In fact DHB drew out water from my midsection. Pumps are great!

Obviously it's all dose dependent. I never went above 350mg but I am a smaller guy compared to the DHB praisers on this forum.

Never tried Primo but its exactly what I'd imagine ~700mg Primo would be to ~400 DHB.

^ But I could be totally over estimating. Someone more knowledgable can chime in on this claim.

The 2 biggest things I noticed with DHB was the great vascularity, pumps, and e2 lowering effects.
Interesting, so its a drying agent. How do you rank it vs the likes of Mast in that regard?

Interesting, so its a drying agent. How do you rank it vs the likes of Mast in that regard?
DHB definitely drew some water out my midsection.

Haven't tried Masteron. So I can't say if it would draw out more/less water.

Idk if I ever will try Mast now that I discovered DHB.

I will say DHB made me fuller especially with carbs holy shit. I'd eat breakfast and feel my arms inflate while eating and then the vascularity starts to pop!

My guess would be that Masteron is most likely stronger in comparison for "drying out" but only in that aspect. Someone more knowledgeable would need to chime in on this.

Last edited:
DHB (1-Testo) vs. Tren

Author: Type-IIx

On the matter of whether so-called "DHB" (this is not its accepted chemical identifier per the nomenclature; it is entirely unlike Boldenone [EQ] and not an EQ metabolite) is more like Primo or Tren, from a chemistry standpoint, it is completely unlike Tren and very similar to Primo.

1-Testosterone
17β-hydroxy-5alpha-androst-1-en-3-one; 17-hydroxyandrost-1-en-3-one; 1-Testo; alternatively, as errata, DHB or Dihydroboldenone
17β-hydroxy-5α-androst-1-en-3-one (A-7 in Vida)

non-aromatizable, non-5α-reducible.

View attachment 173129

An androst-1-ene-3-one (similar to Primobolan & Stenbolone [both are accepted as relatively attenuated androgens reduced in androgenicity and appropriate for cutting and for use in women]): double bond at C-1,2

Vida (A-7): 200:100 anabolic/androgenic ratio

Misconception that 1-Testo is the 5α-reductase product in man of boldenone

Metabolism of 1-Testo

Lacks the delta-4 double bond of testosterone, having a 1,2 double bond instead. This means that 1-Testo will not aromatise, and it will not 5α-reduce in androgen-sensitive tissues like testosterone can (since it's 5α-reduced already). However, due to its particular metabolism, its primary metabolite is DHT! Metabolism is limited, to a large extent, to reduction of the double bond and hydroxylation of the 3-ketone.

1-Testo produces as urine metabolites:

* 5α-dihydrotestosterone ("DHT")
* 5α-androst-1-ene-3α,17β-diol
* 5α-androst-1-ene-3,17-dione
* 5α-androst-1-ene-3α-ol-17-one
* 1-epitestosterone

It is noteworthy that 1-Testosterone's primary metabolite is 5α-DHT: as it is already 5α-reduced, one would infer that it is not a substrate for 5α-reductase, and therefore does not produce 5α-DHT.

There is currently no explanation for its yielding DHT as a metabolite aside from speculation that some enzyme, heretofore unidentified, is responsible for 1,2-dihydrogenation of this androst-1-ene-3-one (Peter Bond, personal communication). It is unlikely that 1-Test's acting as a prohormone to DHT results in increased skeletal muscle bioavailability as it will still be 3α-reduced by AKR1C1, AKR1C2, AKR1C3, & AKR1C4 (C3 being demonstrated to be expressed in human skeletal muscle).

Practical considerations (against the use of 1-Testosterone)

Anecdotally, blood test results demonstrate an increase in C-reactive protein (CRP) ["inflammation"] in common 1-Testo injectable preparations. It is difficult to keep in solution, so the product frequently "crashes" and it is known to cause unbearable "PIP" [post-injection pain].

Signs of hepatic strain in rats. The concentration/dosage used of 1 mg/kg bodyweight (rodent) for 12 days is roughly equivalent to 112 mg weekly for a 100 kg bodyweight man.

Guaiacol is a chemical irritant, a disinfectant, and cough expectorant. It is classified as a hazardous chemical.

From WHO, IARC:

Its use orally in humans acutely induces gastrointestinal, behavioral, tremor, and other changes.

From what I have seen, 1-Testo seems to always lead to elevated C-reactive protein (CRP), whether directly due to its inflammatory or immunogenic effects starting in muscle tissue, or due to guaiacol, or both. CRP is a liver-secreted marker of systemic inflammation that has some predictive power in cardiovascular/thrombotic risk, and is especially dangerous when elevated along with Lp(a) and LDL.

1-Testo would appear to exert its full spectrum of activity (i.e., is almost certainly subject to a sigmoidal S-curve dose/response) by AR agonism. Its optimal dose is likely that which stimulates maximal N retention. It lacks the unique features of Tren to be discussed in the following section (e.g., decreased PPARγ, decreased GR number, increased SC responsiveness to mIGF-I, etc.)

Trenbolone
α-Me-17α-OH-PR; 17β-hydroxy-4,9,11-estratrien-3-one; TBOH
17β-acetoxy-3-oxoestra-4,9,11-triene (Tren Ace)

View attachment 173128

Non-5α-reducible, non-estrogenic synthetic testosterone analogue. A triene (Δ4,9,11) steroid.
* The double bonds at C-4,5, C-9,10, & C-11,12 serve to flatten the steroid (so it can be visualized as slicing into the AR like a knife) but also broadens its homology (increases its affinity for GR, PR, ER, & likely MR).

Tren is insulin sensitizing via decreased PPARγ expression (anti-adipogenic, anti-hyperglycemic), increased muscular IGF-I activity (augments the satellite cell proliferative response to mIGF-I; increases the muscle isoform IGF-IEb mRNA expression, 3.6x) and decreased GR number (anti-catabolic). Relative cardiac harm derives from inhibition of cortisol oxidation and exerting MR action, aggravating atherosclerosis via MR activation and inflammatory processes in the vascular endothelium. Non-5α-reducible, non-estrogenic. Some considerations include reduced GH pulse amplitude and duration (resulting in decreased serum IGF-I).

Conclusion

These two androgens appear as opposite in potency and effects as could be. One is an androst-1-ene-3-one and the other a triene (Δ4,9,11) steroid. Neither provide for basal estrogen (e.g., important for bone metabolism, lipid metabolism, some increase in skeletal muscle size, etc.) One (1-Test) may act as a prohormone to DHT (but not selective in androgen-dependent tissues).

The bodybuilding community’s dosing (belying a sort of informal good enough dose/response relationship) readily belies the differences in potency between the compounds. For example, while 700+ mg of 1-Test is commonplace for modest cosmetic benefits, few would use Tren at this dosage (but rather, quite lower) and expect similar physique outcomes.

Whereas 1-Testo would appear to exert its full spectrum of activity (i.e., is almost certainly subject to a sigmoidal S-curve dose/response) by AR agonism and optimal dosing is likely that which stimulates maximal N retention, Tren is insulin sensitizing via decreased PPARγ expression (anti-adipogenic, anti-hyperglycemic), increasesmuscular IGF-I activity (augments the satellite cell proliferative response to mIGF-I; increases the muscle isoform IGF-IEb mRNA expression, 3.6x), and decreases GR number (anti-catabolic). Tren’s relative cardiac harm derives from inhibition of cortisol oxidation and exerting MR action, aggravating atherosclerosis via MR activation and inflammatory processes in the vascular endothelium. While Tren reduces systemic liver-secreted IGF-I, 1-Testo has no effect.

To illustrate Tren’s potency, consider that:

1. The 350 mg weekly Tren Ace first-time Tren cycle advice originates from Bill Roberts’ writings in the 1990s (he was a very intelligent man, but was excessive at times in his compound & dosage recommendations).

2. Trenbolone acetate’s human equivalent dose (HED):

HED(mg/kg) = (200mg/545kg) * (96/37) = 0.95 mg/kg (total)

Synovex Implant (Elanco) "Component® TE-200 with Tylan®" [Catalog #: 102-8495] contains 200mg TBA, 20mg E2; duration of activity 80 - 90 days

weekly HED(mg/kg) = 0.95 mg/kg * (7/85) ≈ 0.078 mg/kg weekly (or 7.8 mg for 100kg man)...

AR density in cattle

It follows that humans are actually more responsive (excluding differential effects of human metabolism, i.e., weakening of the parent steroid, that are substantial) to an equimolar dose of trenbolone acetate versus bovid with respect to AR-mediated muscle cell responsiveness.

While it does not follow that 10 mg of trenbolone acetate weekly is > a Synovex implant in inducing human skeletal muscle hypertrophy, it can certainly be stated confidently that 350 mg trenbolone acetate is an extremely high dose.

The same cannot at all be stated with respect to 1-Test.

References available upon request by private message (intended as an informal posting)
This is a awesome post brother. Great job, tons of info here

Looking to stack Dhb, test c, and ment for a recomp.

Based on research I think I can get a tren like effect from this stack

I can't wait to have more money so I can start pinning all this shit into my ass, tried 2 vials of DHB but sadly I don't think It was enough to give any take on it.. Tren however is lovely, Love the taste of it after I inject it and the smell.. Mmmm - Keep up the good work Type-llx you're a god damn genius.

The PIP is not worth it if it is deleterious to your daily life and bodybuilding aspirations.

What I mean by this is if the PIP is so bad that you are limping around like you got stabbed for a week, or you can't train a muscle group properly, or the PIP inflammation is causing headaches/fatigue, etc.. you get the idea.

Now that you've researched/found a source that can brew DHB properly ...
(idk the specifics but some sources brew it with less PIP than others. Anything over 100mg/ml is a red flag imo)

Here are things you can do to make DHB work for you (AVOIDING PIP)

1. Mix the DHB with your Test + any other oils (VERY IMPORTANT)
2. Do smaller injections everyday, I even split my daily shots on smaller bilateral muscles like medial delts (VERY IMPORTANT)
3. Rotating many different muscle sites is the name of the game with DHB. (VERY IMPORTANT)
4. Heat up your oil just before injection (not super necessary but helps)
5. Perform injections as 'smoothly' as possible. Slowww and steady.
6. DO NOT pin a virgin muscle with DHB for the first time.
7. Mentally Accept that you will sometimes have a bad shot and deal with a big swollen knot for the rest of the week. This is bound to happen sometimes but if its happening too often then you are doing something wrong.

By using these tricks & tips, I've had very little PIP issues with DHB. Just some aches.

Hope this helps.

- Jake
Jeez. I haven't tried DHB, but, this sure makes it seem even less appealing. Thanks for the information, I'm out on this one!

I’ve tried DHB from two sources and neither have me PIP beyond a dull ache if I didn’t inject deep enough. One did use some guiacol though and it gives me a coughing fit like a mother fucker.

Yeah everyone says DHB is e2 neutral. It isn’t in my experience. EQ does for me too. I was cutting on test/eq and my bloodwork had my e2 low so I cut the eq, swapped in DHB. Don’t remember doses, low couple hundred each of test and dhb in matching amounts though. Got bloodwork done again about a month later and my e2 came back even lower than when I was pinning the eq.

Jeez. I haven't tried DHB, but, this sure makes it seem even less appealing. Thanks for the information, I'm out on this one!
I decided to give it a try from my source, for the first time. Even mixing with test and heating up, pretty bad pip. One guy mentioned doing smaller Ed or eod injections, might try that with the last vial I have since I can't seem to sell it.

I'm 3 days in with daily pins and have a slight dull ache the day of but doesn't last longer then a few hours. I wouldn't even rate it a 1/10 in pain

Seems to have crashed my e2 at 500t 400 dhb. When did you really notice the effects of dhb?