• ATTENTION New Members: Please take a few moments to introduce yourself, show your commitment to harm reduction, and chat with the community in the "New Member Introduction" subforum. This will help unlock access to additional forum features and privileges.

Eating large meals (1200 kcal) instead of spacing out your meals... bad?

Clark Cooper

Recently been eating 3400-3500 kcal per day (appropriate surplus for me at the moment as I am 81 kg and 6'1) and that's what seem to be helping me gain weight along with my training. I don't like snacking and I kinda hate being distracted from reading or doing stuff on my pc all the time so I eat no often than 3 big meal about 1000-1200 kcal each meal. Sometimes after a particular large meal (especially if it is rich fat one like a takeaway, mcdonalds) I get mild signs of NAFLD (fat liver decease) random red marks (spider nevi) pop on skin and liver kinda aches also. Could it be that due to excessive kcal being consumed at once instead of splitting it into 6 small meals my liver just does not have enough time to recuperate? Read about it here: This is how overeating leads to liver damage! | TheHealthSite.com

Does any of you guys eat large meals instead of lots of small meals like me? Did you have similar problem? Is it really bad idea to eat the way I have been eating (in large portions)?

Appreciate responses from lifters who are in their 30's and older please, cause I know youngsters gonna type here being all rude, calling bullshit and how I am just complaining and nothing is happening with me I am just overthinking blah blah (obv with their brand new organs they can't understand shit). Anyways peace all fellas <3 Just need to hear your experiences.

my breakfast alone is like 800 cals natty, stop being a bitch about your liver aches or Just realize this lifestyle isn’t for you. Break it up into more meals if your vagina can’t handle it. God every post you make is about your “aches”

Last edited:
Recently been eating 3400-3500 kcal per day (appropriate surplus for me at the moment as I am 81 kg and 6'1) and that's what seem to be helping me gain weight along with my training. I don't like snacking and I kinda hate being distracted from reading or doing stuff on my pc all the time so I eat no often than 3 big meal about 1000-1200 kcal each meal. Sometimes after a particular large meal (especially if it is rich fat one like a takeaway, mcdonalds) I get mild signs of NAFLD (fat liver decease) random red marks (spider nevi) pop on skin and liver kinda aches also. Could it be that due to excessive kcal being consumed at once instead of splitting it into 6 small meals my liver just does not have enough time to recuperate? Read about it here: This is how overeating leads to liver damage! | TheHealthSite.com

Does any of you guys eat large meals instead of lots of small meals like me? Did you have similar problem? Is it really bad idea to eat the way I have been eating (in large portions)?

Appreciate responses from lifters who are in their 30's and older please, cause I know youngsters gonna type here being all rude, calling bullshit and how I am just complaining and nothing is happening with me I am just overthinking blah blah (obv with their brand new organs they can't understand shit). Anyways peace all fellas <3 Just need to hear your experiences.

There is actually a JAPANESE guy a “scientists” who has been doing this for ages. ( one meal per day and all calories and nutrients in that one meal) He claims it is the key to staying healthy. Dude is like 80 and looks like he is 40 ish.

His goal is to be the longest living person to live. There was a documentary on him but I can’t remember the name of it.

There is actually a JAPANESE guy a “scientists” who has been doing this for ages. ( one meal per day and all calories and nutrients in that one meal) He claims it is the key to staying healthy. Dude is like 80 and looks like he is 40 ish.

His goal is to be the longest living person to live. There was a documentary on him but I can’t remember the name of it.

Intermittent fasting has been shown to have absolutely amazing benefits for our health.

I'm not surprised at the potential for longevity with its use

There are so many theories on eating if eating one meal works good, 3 large sure depends on your goals. But if your seeing issues get an allergy test. That is most likely the problem McDonald's is probably the second. If your hitting the calories and it works stick with it

There are so many theories on eating if eating one meal works good, 3 large sure depends on your goals. But if your seeing issues get an allergy test. That is most likely the problem McDonald's is probably the second. If your hitting the calories and it works stick with it

You think I might have like a food allergy?

Rofl

Does he lift though? Or he is just eating the normal amount of calories? I swear I used to do that shit too when I was 20 I weighted about 68 kilo, I would eat a large, about 2000 kcal meal at lunch, like beef stew with breads + cheese + desert and then I could play video games all day not worrying about eating till next morning :D

Last edited:
In general order of importance:
1. Total cals
2. Appropriate macros in those cals
3. Clean/micro dense food choices
4. Meal timing
5. All the other shit we worry too much about

how you eat should be dictated by your goal. When I’m eating 6k+ all my meals are 900-1200cals. If eating 3 1200 cal meals works for you, go for it.

Intermittent fasting has been shown to have absolutely amazing benefits for our health.

I'm not surprised at the potential for longevity with its use

All the amazing benefits (autophagy etc.) of IF come from prolonged fasts 24-72 hours etc. not the 18/6 or 16/8 and very common ones that people adhere to. It's why a lot of people that are smarter than me say the main benefit is just a shorter eating window = better satiety on lower calories.

Justin Harris actually made a bunch of videos on that particular matter and his logic is a lot more refined than any I have heard. TLDR would basically be if you want optimal anabolic potential from your meal timing it is better you eat every 3 hours to maximize your protein synthesis through always having all EAA in your bloodstream. I have read many of the claims that total calories (obviously macro based) are the only parameter worth following but in reality find one Mr. Olympia who ate any other way than mentioned above, and I absolutely would doubt none of them would have tried everything available also anyway. A lot more goes into it rather than just protein synthesis too, you allow a better opportunity for your body to trigger gluconeogenesis or de novo lipogenesis by eating extremely big meals, that and you are likely going to stretch your stomach and affect your waistline which alone are enough for me to opt against it but if you have another goal and are not only interested in optimization of your muscle building potential then just eat however you enjoy.

Justin Harris actually made a bunch of videos on that particular matter and his logic is a lot more refined than any I have heard. TLDR would basically be if you want optimal anabolic potential from your meal timing it is better you eat every 3 hours to maximize your protein synthesis through always having all EAA in your bloodstream. I have read many of the claims that total calories (obviously macro based) are the only parameter worth following but in reality find one Mr. Olympia who ate any other way than mentioned above, and I absolutely would doubt none of them would have tried everything available also anyway. A lot more goes into it rather than just protein synthesis too, you allow a better opportunity for your body to trigger gluconeogenesis or de novo lipogenesis by eating extremely big meals, that and you are likely going to stretch your stomach and affect your waistline which alone are enough for me to opt against it but if you have another goal and are not only interested in optimization of your muscle building potential then just eat however you enjoy.

I would agree, if you are trying to pack on mass at that level then obviously the OMAD style or IF really isn't the right pathway for someone trying to be mass monster. If you're just an average/decently fit guy trying to cut IF can work perfectly fine but people need to realize that the only benefit is satiety in a smaller eating window with less calories. All these amazing benefits are pulled from studies where people fast for much longer (24-72hours) and then are applied to and mentioned with the popularized 20-4/18-6/16-8 eating windows which is not the same.

I went from doing IF to just focusing on caloric total and protein markers and feel much better.

So if your going for optimal muscle/strength building you need to eat everytime your time your stomach clears which is 2-4 hrs. Your body does not store protein to be used during protein synthesis. So you need steady protein all day. If your goals aren't optimum strength/muscle building then it doesn't matter.
Also if you have serious medical concerns you need to see a Dr. Without in person diagnosis your just taking unnecessary risk unless your simply not that worried about it

So if your going for optimal muscle/strength building you need to eat everytime your time your stomach clears which is 2-4 hrs. Your body does not store protein to be used during protein synthesis. So you need steady protein all day. If your goals aren't optimum strength/muscle building then it doesn't matter.
Also if you have serious medical concerns you need to see a Dr. Without in person diagnosis your just taking unnecessary risk unless your simply not that worried about it

How do you feel that corresponds with an IF eating strategy?