Electrolyte powders

BigDeee

If powders/drinks like Gatorade are intended to replenish electrolytes, why do they contain (what seems like) so little of the key ingredients like potassium, zinc, magnesium, etc.? For example, most seem to have like 2% to 5% or so recommended daily allowance of potassium, calcium, magnesium....instead of closer to 100%?

Because it’s a drink meant for the masses to feel good about themselves while slamming 40g of sugar and big daddy corporate needs his yacht upgraded?

I like LMNT. I have used a few. My wife likes the ghost brand, strictly for taste. I recently tried the moor? moar? I can’t remember.. and it was decent flavor wise.

I think the newer electrolyte products contain those minerals with less sugar. Unfortunately the sugar is what made them tasty so I still go back and forth between making my own lemon lime Gatorade from powder and buying the newer stuff like the fatty one mentioned. The new ones aren’t cheap though imo.

I love LMNT & Liquid IV. I just tried the green grape sugar free liquid iv and love it. I use 1 pack of whatever kind in 36-40 oz of water and drink two a day.

Because it’s a drink meant for the masses to feel good about themselves while slamming 40g of sugar and big daddy corporate needs his yacht upgraded?

I like LMNT. I have used a few. My wife likes the ghost brand, strictly for taste. I recently tried the moor? moar? I can’t remember.. and it was decent flavor wise.
Gatoraid was invented in the 60's by some researchers an scientists for the Florida gator football team. Plus now days it has dextrose and over 40 years of refining. In my opinion it's good to go. I get my micro nutrients from vitamins. Every other hydration drink is copying it.
Even the mike Isratel dude recommends it always pre and intra workout. Plus I bet it's a heck of alot cheaper.
In Cuba the Olympic wrestling team probably other athletes just drink sugar water.

Gatoraid was invented in the 60's by some researchers an scientists for the Florida gator football team. Plus now days it has dextrose and over 40 years of refining. In my opinion it's good to go. I get my micro nutrients from vitamins. Every other hydration drink is copying it.
Even the mike Isratel dude recommends it always pre and intra workout. Plus I bet it's a heck of alot cheaper.
In Cuba the Olympic wrestling team probably other athletes just drink sugar water.
The current Gatorade has too much sugar and too little sodium per fluid oz. You can dilute it with more water and add sodium if you want to to be optimal or use the lower sugar g2 Gatorade it’s closer to the proper ratio.

This is a good read

I use it intra workout as well, but this thread wasn’t about that.

Fun story or maybe just a myth one of my college professor's said: Gatorade based their original formula on the composition of human sweat. Japanese people loved everything American (style/fashion/trends). Soon after Gatorade hit the scene, Japanese companies produced a similar product called, "SWEAT," spelled out exactly like that.

Big billboards seen in baseball parks, "Drink SWEAT" ("drink" was in Japanese, "SWEAT" was written in English).

I’ve been enjoying the Gatorlyte (zero sugar) drinks. It’s a Gatorade version of pedialyte so it has much better electrolyte dosages.

Sits at 21% of your daily sodium and I think 25% of your magnesium? With almost 50% of your DV of chloride.

It’s not nearly as cost efficient as getting your own powders and mixing it, but they taste really good and almost every store sells them now. Gets the job done.

I’ve been enjoying the Gatorlyte (zero sugar) drinks. It’s a Gatorade version of pedialyte so it has much better electrolyte dosages.

Sits at 21% of your daily sodium and I think 25% of your magnesium? With almost 50% of your DV of chloride.

It’s not nearly as cost efficient as getting your own powders and mixing it, but they taste really good and almost every store sells them now. Gets the job done.

I try to make "healthy" versions of regular sauces and dips where I sneak in things like a teaspoon of potassium bicarbonate. Mostly tasteless, maybe a little salty, but adds some potassium to my diet.

I try to make "healthy" versions of regular sauces and dips where I sneak in things like a teaspoon of potassium bicarbonate. Mostly tasteless, maybe a little salty, but adds some potassium to my diet.

Idk if it would be something you’d willing to take the time to do.. but I think a thread of just this would be awesome. I’d love to be able to make tasty sauces that aren’t just chemicals and the like.

Cream of tartar for potassium and pink himalayan salt (sodium and other minerals) you can add lemon juice if you want. Play around with the ratios but be careful as too much himalayan salt will give you crazy diarrhea. It's cheap and effective. I started with 1Tsp himalayan salt and 1 tbsp tartar in a gallon of water. All the salt crystals should be dissolved, if there are crystals at the bottom of your water it's too much salt.

Cream of tartar for potassium and pink himalayan salt (sodium and other minerals) you can add lemon juice if you want. Play around with the ratios but be careful as too much himalayan salt will give you crazy diarrhea. It's cheap and effective. I started with 1Tsp himalayan salt and 1 tbsp tartar in a gallon of water. All the salt crystals should be dissolved, if there are crystals at the bottom of your water it's too much salt.
I was thinking about trying out a bulk bag of fasting salt powder but.i might actually just make my own and copy a similar recipe to LMNT

sadly LMNT is not available here in germany but we have something similar with pretty good ingredients: Re-Lyte.

for all my german fellas, look into it.

just make your own. 100s of recipes on reddit in the jogger/marathoner groups. mine is simple, had to dial down the sodium since i was gaining too much water weight on my hgh and TRT+ i was running double the amount of sea salt previously
1/4 tsp fine pink Himalayan sea salt
1/4 tsp calcium
1/4 tsp 50/50 mix magnesium gluconate and citrate
1 tbsp KLASS drink mix (or find alternative real sugar drink)

1715808349421.png

1715808488637.png

just make your own. 100s of recipes on reddit in the jogger/marathoner groups. mine is simple, had to dial down the sodium since i was gaining too much water weight on my hgh and TRT+ i was running double the amount of sea salt previously
1/4 tsp fine pink Himalayan sea salt
1/4 tsp calcium
1/4 tsp 50/50 mix magnesium gluconate and citrate
1 tbsp KLASS drink mix (or find alternative real sugar drink)

View attachment 283564

View attachment 283565
you forgot potassium, esp. when on HGH

Potassium salt, or potassium chloride, is what they use in electrolyte powders . It's also the active ingredient in a lethal injection at the prison. Yup, causes such an extreme electrolyte balance that your heart explodes or somethin. Drink too much and you could also die from it. This may be why companies are hesitant to put higher doses of the stuff into everyday drinks, even though lots of Americans are deficient in it. I buy my own potassium powder on Amazon and drink it daily. Salt and calcium are easy to get from diet, plus I just take magnesium caps in my stack. Note, even on the potassium powder label, the recommended dose is like 5% of DV because they don't want you killing yourself with it.

you forgot potassium, esp. when on HGH

Is this a thing? Off to google I go

Edit:

I don’t have access to view the full paper but if I’m reading the abstract right on HGH your body retains nitrogen , sodium, and potassium. If that’s the case why would we suppliment with potassium? Maybe that’s why some people bloat on HGH.. retained sodium?

Anybody got access to the rest of the paper?

Last edited: