I hate ampules

i had deus susta amps for a long time, used them just because expiration date was nearing

i was annoyed at first, but then I mastered opening and drawing from them effortlessly (with 27g 1/2")

im full of vials now, but i miss the amps

i feel like an old school doctor using that shit

I read somewhere that a study done at hospitals revealed that a significant amount of glass particulates remained even after using filter needles. I’m going to start using filter needles and then a second filtration with some other filter. Crazy stuff…

I read somewhere that a study done at hospitals revealed that a significant amount of glass particulates remained even after using filter needles. I’m going to start using filter needles and then a second filtration with some other filter. Crazy stuff…
Mind sharing the article?

Mind sharing the article?

It’s actually in the wikipedia

Contamination concernsEdit

Glass-particle contamination is of ongoing concern, with patients who receive medication parenterally, such as intravenously under hospital care, at greater risk of receiving glass particulates when medication is aspirated.[10] A 2016 study of 180 ampoules found 19,473 glass particles in aspirated fluids, with filtering only reducing the mean by 114 to 89 particles per ampoule. Glass particle contamination of an ampule occurred with all intravenous injection methods.[11]

what the fuck?

Edit: I found the study but am unsure of the implications. They make it sound like half of all injections of gear from amps should be incredibly painful... but they're not

Last edited:
oil can’t drip if you have air on top.
the oil does not eat the rubber away.
you can leave loaded syringes for 10days whit-out any problem
I've left filled syringes for up to a month with no issues so far always with an unused needle on there rather than with the one used to draw just in case.

Interpretation within the context of the broader literature​

We found that the number of glass particles differed by breaking method and ampoule size. Breaking the ampoule using a cotton ball (Methods 3 and 4) resulted in fewer glass particles than breaking the ampoule using a gauze pad (Methods 1 and 2) or a syringe wrapper (Methods 5 and 6). An explanation for this finding is that the material used to wrap the ampoule neck affected the number of glass particles. In Methods 1 and 2 (gauze pad) and 5 and 6 (syringe wrapper), the ampoule neck was entirely covered by a protective wall, meaning the broken glass particles fell from all around the ampoule neck into the broken ampoule. In contrast, in Methods 3 and 4, a cotton ball was used to wrap the ampoule neck on only one side, meaning the glass particles drop into the broken ampoule from that side. In general, because of glass ampoule sealing, the pressure inside a glass ampoule is negative; when the glass ampoule is opened, the glass particles are drawn into the ampoule [12]. Our findings indicated that material that was entirely or partially covering the ampoule neck affected the number of glass particles.

Furthermore, breaking the ampoule in an outward direction (Methods 1, 3 and 5) resulted in fewer glass particles than breaking the ampoule in an inward direction (Methods 2, 4 and 6). This finding suggested that the direction of ampoule breaking was associated with the number of glass particles. Therefore, the number of glass particles depends on both the wrapping technique and the breaking direction. Consistent with prior studies, our findings showed that the breaking method affected the number of glass particles [4, 10].

Here’s the good news, how much of that contamination is getting through a 28 or 29g needle?

“Particles smaller than 83 µm can be aspirated through an 18G needle in a more significant number and size than aspirated through a 20G needle (diameter 60 µm). From previous studies, it is observed that withdrawing injected medication through a smaller-sized needle can minimize glass particles’ number and size [6, 11, 20–22]. Therefore, using a smaller needle can expel larger-sized glass particles better than using a larger needle.”

They don't seem to distinguish between non scored and pre-scored ampules. I imagine the difference in glass contaminant would be significant between the two.

Also, an empty syringe barrel is about the best amp opener you can get.

Here’s the good news, how much of that contamination is getting through a 28 or 29g needle?

“Particles smaller than 83 µm can be aspirated through an 18G needle in a more significant number and size than aspirated through a 20G needle (diameter 60 µm). From previous studies, it is observed that withdrawing injected medication through a smaller-sized needle can minimize glass particles’ number and size [6, 11, 20–22]. Therefore, using a smaller needle can expel larger-sized glass particles better than using a larger needle.”
A filter needle is 5 microns. I can't imagine needing more than that unless your turning the glass into powder.

They don't seem to distinguish between non scored and pre-scored ampules. I imagine the difference in glass contaminant would be significant between the two.

Also, an empty syringe barrel is about the best amp opener you can get.

I’ve used syringe barrel and so many other cylindrical shaped objects. You can wrap the amp head with a rubber band for a snug fit. I’ve used the closed end of a small wrench.

One thing I just thought of that the article didn’t mention: with the cotton ball the glass will embed in the cotton and not just fall down inside.

I’ve used syringe barrel and so many other cylindrical shaped objects. You can wrap the amp head with a rubber band for a snug fit. I’ve used the closed end of a small wrench.

One thing I just thought of that the article didn’t mention: with the cotton ball the glass will embed in the cotton and not just fall down inside.

This can't possibly have the implications that are being suggested here.

I've used hundreds of amps over the years. If anyone was going to end up with shards of glass in their body, it'd be me. I withdrawal with 18 gauge and inject with 21 gauge.

I get a little PIP every now and then but not what I imagine would happen from injecting shards of glass.

Sponsors

Latest posts