Is what we are doing REALLY worth it - Let's Face the Music--We are All Going to Die

cvictorg

Dear Future Centenarian,
Woke up feeling sick this morning after eating raw chicken last night with Paleo Diet guru Rob Wolf. Depressed too, as I realized I am a day older and that tomorrow I'll be another day older and so and so forth.

As you know from reading this newsletter, I put a great deal of faith in attitude. If you want to live forever, you've got to be wildly optimistic and look at the bright side of life--read the funnies and skip the obituary pages. Program yourself for longevity. Just because you may soon turn 90, don't think of yourself as old. Being young or old is just a state of mind.

After throwing up all over the place, however, I felt unusually depressed. I started having some really abnormal negative thoughts. What if this anti-aging stuff that I been preaching about all these years turns out to be bunch of pseudo-scientific BS? What if the Hayflick limit is indeed a limit -- oh, we might be able to push it back 10 years or so but it will be like shoving a really fat corpse up the steps at the Washington Monument--the longer you are at it the more it will reek of rotting flesh and if you let up just for a moment it will come crashing down on you.

What will happen, I thought when the devoted folks on the calorie restriction diet develop osteoporosis because their bodies are irreversibly weakened from years of starvation? What will happen when we start thawing out the forward-looking people who had themselves frozen only to find out their organs have cracked into a million pieces? What will happen if scientists discover we have genetically adapted to eating grain and dairy products after-all? What will happen when my dear friends taking TA-65 start coming down with terminal brain cancer?

Maybe positioning myself as the "unbeatable foe of death" and considering anything short of an indefinite lifespan as being personally cheated has only revealed my underlying foolish nature. I looked at my hollow, gray face in the mirror and thought about the last time I had a delicious bacon cheeseburger, extra large order of French fries and a chocolate milk shake. It was that very moment when I decided I needed to get real. As William Blake said, "The fool who persists in his folly will become wise!" If nothing else, I have persisted.

The sad truth, dear friends and anti-aging colleagues, is we are all going to die. That's right, let's quit lying to ourselves and sign those living wills that have been lingering in our desk drawers all these years.

Face the music--you are going to die, your kids are going to die, and their kids are probably going to die as well. After that the prospects might get better, but certainly not in our lifetimes. Anti-aging science is decades away off from accomplishing much more than adding a year here and there to our admittedly way too short lifespans. And you can certainly forget about enjoying "unforgettable sex on your 120th birthday," as it says on the Maximum Life Foundation homepage. Truth is, I only put that up there for a chuckle.

Thinking of our bodies as rusted-out automobiles that with loving care and attention can be restored and "put back out of the road of life" again, as my friend Aubrey De Grey likes to say, is cute but your heart is not a combustion chamber and your liver is not an oil filter. Sure we'll someday, maybe if we're lucky, in the next 50 years or so have organ banks and this is a great thing, but replacing an organ here and there won't slow down the inevitable decline of your immune system. At some point, no matter how many daily push-ups you do or how many supplements you take or what kind of quack raw diet you're on, your tired old mitochrondia will choke on themselves and your body will disintegrate on a cellular level in a way that can't be repaired. Either that or you'll come down with cancer and be too old to survive chemotherapy.

The outlook is bleak, or is it?

Maybe knowing that we will die is a good thing. Why is that you may want to know? Well, the knowledge that we are going to die no matter what gives us a sense of urgency to accomplish all we can while we are living and at least in my case, motivates us to have a positive impact on the people we love and even society at large because we only get one chance. You only live once and gosh darn it, you only die once.

Please don't despair, anti-aging is still a good thing because it might allow us to be healthier longer and thus we can do more things with the only life we have to live. It's not all we expected, but it's a plus.

Just remember this, only fools bank on anti-aging technology because they're setting themselves up for a one big final, fatal disappointment.

Long Life,

Dave Kekich

Notable Deaths in 2010
Notable Deaths of 2010 - NYTimes.com

Britton Chance, Olympian and Biophysics Researcher, Dies at 97 (November 29, 2010)
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/29/us/29chance.html?ref=obituaries

Britton Chance, a biophysicist who did pioneering research on how living organisms produce and manage energy and helped develop diagnostic tools, like one for the detection of breast cancer, died on Nov. 16 in Philadelphia. Dr. Chance, who was also a world-class yachtsman and won an Olympic gold medal in sailing in 1952, was 97. His death was confirmed by his daughter Jan Chance O'Malley.

Monicelli, Director, Kills Himself at 95 (November 29, 2010) http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2010/11/29/world/europe/AP-EU-Italy-Obit-Monicelli.html?_r=1&ref=obituaries

ROME (AP) -- Oscar-nominated director and screenwriter Mario Monicelli, considered one of the fathers of the Italian comedy of the 1940s-1960s, died Monday after jumping from a fifth-story hospital window, the hospital said. He was 95.

Donald Nyrop, Who Led Northwest Airlines, Dies at 98 (November 27, 2010) http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/28/business/28nyrop.html?ref=obituaries
Donald W. Nyrop, a former federal airline regulator who went on to run Northwest Airlines with a keen focus on keeping costs down and improving safety, died on Nov. 16 at his home in Edina, Minn. He was 98. His death was confirmed by his daughter Kathryn.

Huang Hua, 97, a Diplomat Who Served China, Dies (November 25, 2010) http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/25/world/asia/25huang.html?_r=1&ref=obituaries

SHANGHAI -- Huang Hua, a Communist Party revolutionary who was China 's foreign minister during the 1970s and early 1980s and helped China restore diplomatic relations with the United States, died Wednesday in Beijing. He was 97. The cause was complications of lung failure and kidney failure, his daughter-in-law, Dede Nickerson, said.

Baby Marie Osborne, Silent-Film Child Star, Dies at 99 (November 17, 2010) http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/17/arts/17osborne.html?adxnnl=1&ref=obituaries&adxnnlx=12
90718810-34wgjUAFxv/0/5bXOMK96g

They called her Baby Marie Osborne, and in silent films nearly a century ago she was America's little sweetheart, a precocious, chauffeured, $1,000-a-week prodigy who could turn on the tears or a sunshine smile and break your heart. She had sparkling eyes and dimpled arms. She also had a lisp, but no matter. One of America's earliest child stars, long forgotten except for Internet nostalgia buffs and silent-film aficionados, Baby Marie -- Marie Osborne Yeats -- died Thursday at her home in San Clemente, Calif. She was 99.

Maximum Life Foundation, P.O. Box 659, Huntington Beach, CA 92648, USA

Re: Is what we are doing REALLY worth it - Let's Face the Music--We are All Going to

What a terrible approach to life! I'd be depressed too if I focused so much on death (or avoiding death). Enjoy life. Live in the moment. Find happiness in the process.

Doing something solely as a means to an end isn't likely to lead to long-term happiness. I think one must really enjoy the process as well.

Re: Is what we are doing REALLY worth it - Let's Face the Music--We are All Going to

i thought this was an interesting take on it........http://www.newsoffuture.com/do_the_anti-aging_drugs_work_in_future.html (News of Future: Do the Anti-Aging Drugs Work?)

To me, it looks like the author is saying "The anxiety of now knowing when I'll die, and if the anti-aging medicine will help me at all, is killing me. I can't stand it any longer. I give up"

'Giving up' is his personal choice, like trying is mine. Paraphrasing 50 cents: Extend life or die trying.

Doesn't sound like a bad deal to me!

Cool_story_bro_interesante_historia_ese.jpg

i don't really care how long I live but I do want to live WELL! Both of my parents are alive AND WELL AND >90. Good genes for me? maybe? I am now 61 and want to live how many I have left to be good days. I spent 22 months in hell a long time ago so I figure I get an extra 22 months of bliss at the end. :D

Without TRT life would suck for me!!!!