Isotretinoin (accutane) while on cycle

Sounds like you have a good bit of experience running it also. I still have oily skin at 44 lol. Zero acne but some minor blackheads on sides of nostrils. Not noticeable unless in a magnifying mirror but I still hate the general oil production.

I’ve considered going hard on the Accutane for the minimum time required to dry me out for good. However, I am almost certain that oral steroids will turn those oil glands on full blast for me no matter how dry I get from Accutane.

My question is does this not happen to you or others? Am I an outlier here?

You're suffering from hyperseborrhea. I only learned this is a medical condition in the last few years. I just thought it was "normal" oily skin type.

A lifetime of 2 showers a day or hair becomes intolerably oily. Always oily upper back skin. Glasses sliding off nose. Worse, it speeds male pattern balding since scalp sebum transports DHT around the scalp, and strangles hair follicles by preventing oxygen from reaching them. I had been telling derms about my scalp pain for years, often followed by hair loss in the affected area, and none of them ever mentioned hyperseborrhea as a possibility, dismissing it because the loss followed the normal androgenic pattern, More evidence you need to be your own medical advocate,

Testosterone supercharges it.

Accutane shrinks sebum glands, permanently if you're successful at going through a high dose course.

As in my nose shrunk, visibly, significantly, around the 4 month mark. That's how fucking big those glands get.

I don't go into this too much since it seems to be rare, but curing the hyperseborrhea is almost even better than getting rid of acne.

It's amazing to go a full day with hair staying normal, and not getting oily within a few hours of a shower.

The good news is at least your skin is likely in much better shape thanks to all the natural oils protecting it over the decades.

Last edited:
I've always dealt with some level of back and shoulder acne, AAS set the bacne on fire though. Experiencing how well it works, how easy the sides have been to deal with (for me), knowing. what I know now, even without the AAS I would've done this a long time ago.

A couple gelcaps twice a day for 5 months, dry lips, in exchange for the improvements I've seen has been well worth it. The anti-photoaging effects, nose shrinkage, not having greasy hair 6 hours after a shower, along with the clearing skin and (odds are) only having to do this once is definitely worth it for me.
Hey brother just want to say I very much appreciate your input! The various topics I've found your posts there always worth reading! I have so much more to think about now in a fantastic way.

Back