Long term tirzepatide efficacy

CrazyDaisy

I posted this in another forum, but this forum is probably the better place to ask.

I was on brand name Mounjaro and then compounded tirzepatide via telehealth provider and now getting my own peptide. I'm debating buying a larger stockpile but wondering if others have input if you've been on tirzepatide longer term. Did you find that it stopped working, so maybe buying a large quantity isn't wise? I'm at goal and maintaining BTW. I know people have started getting retatrutide, but I'm not ready to try that until it gets further through clinical trials due to the early heart concerns.

Just curious if anyone has input...don't want to waste a bunch of money on a larger tirzepatide order if many have found its effects to wain or better to consider other stacks. I completely realize this will vary person to person. So just looking for any personal experiences or suggestions.

The slight increase in hunger around 5-6 days after dosing might be part of why it works well the rest of the time.

Some people like microdosing like with TRT but the mechanisms with GLP1/GIP drugs seem different.

For example, if weight loss stalls for a few weeks, I'd increase dose before increasing dose frequency. This is a marathon not a sprint.
Everyday dosing has made me like tirz a lot more. I used to get side effects and what felt like a drop off of effectiveness a couple days before my dose. I have also been able to start and stay at a lower dose longer. I can also run it at higher dosages, bolus doses 7mg and up would cause side effects for me.

Not sure what you consider long-term. I have been on Tirz for 16 months now. with the past 8 months on 15mg / week. Still not at goal weight, but have been steady losing the whole time. The only impact to slope of my weight loss was when I started rx TRT in October 2023. Took a few months to adjust and started back losing. Food noise starts coming back on days 6 and 7 at this point, but lately have added Tesofensine which is incredible at knocking out appetite.

View attachment 277220
holy shit man!!!! 423lbs is crazy.. congrats

how do u feel? hope you keep drinking nice pure water by the gallon! thats ALOT of mass to pee out! cant be good for kidneys but obv neither is being 423 lbs... imagine another 40 lbs and will really start feeling better!!

We need to define what "Stops working" means.

If it's 80F in my house, I turn the thermostat to 72F, the air conditioner turns on, and once the temp drops to 72F it turns back off. Does that mean my air conditioner has "stopped working"?

Because that's how GLPs work. That's why there's a "maintainance dose".

Unless someone starts moving back towards their original weight at the same dose, which is not typically experienced, the drug hasn't stopped working.

What they're usually referring to is the weakening of appetite suppression at a given dose once they reach a certain weight, like a fat "thermostat", which is how these drugs work, not a diet pill that suppresses appetite regardless of what your weight is.

Long term effectiveness has been clearly established Don't mistake a lessening of appetite suppression as you lose
weight as losing effectiveness. As metabolic regulators each dose level lowers the body's "set weight". As you approach that weight appetite suppression at a given dose weakens. of your weight rises, appetite suppression return. To lose more weight after a plateau the dose needs to be increased to lower the set point further. Here we can see, like every other study, once on a stable maintainance dose, weight remains stable for years. There is no evidence of a loss of effectiveness. That's a misinterpretation by people who don't understand how these compounds do work. They are not diet pills that simply lower appetite whenever taken, they're metabolic regulators.

I’ve been on tirz for about 2 years, down 140lbs. I’ve been on 10mg for about a year now and if anything it’s better now. I can go 10 days without the shot no problem. I think it just depends on if the bad choices we make are still there or if we’ve changed them.

Not sure what you consider long-term. I have been on Tirz for 16 months now. with the past 8 months on 15mg / week. Still not at goal weight, but have been steady losing the whole time. The only impact to slope of my weight loss was when I started rx TRT in October 2023. Took a few months to adjust and started back losing. Food noise starts coming back on days 6 and 7 at this point, but lately have added Tesofensine which is incredible at knocking out appetite.

View attachment 277220
Congrats on your success and staying on the course of your weight loss journey! This is inspiring...and I need to look into Tesofensince since I'm on 12.5mg of Tirzepatide and need a bit of help with sustained appetite suppression.

Congrats on your success and staying on the course of your weight loss journey! This is inspiring...and I need to look into Tesofensince since I'm on 12.5mg of Tirzepatide and need a bit of help with sustained appetite suppression.
Go slow starting on teso. Works great, but powerful. Take it early in the morning. Got a long half life too. I take it about 3 times a week with Tirz and I’m never hungry

Go slow starting on teso. Works great, but powerful. Take it early in the morning. Got a long half life too. I take it about 3 times a week with Tirz and I’m never hungry
I appreciate the advice, thank you. I'm pretty new to the peptide world and started in November 2023 and have lost about 44lbs to date, with a two-month hiatus. So I am definitely in this for the long haul knowing patience is key! Is there a provider you like the best?

So if you’re looking into other peptides to replace it, you could do a round of Reta ( it’s not available most places ) and is in phase 3 I believe at this point in clinical trials but some people like it more than tirz, but with these meds you will eventually hit a plateau as explained in other replies and that becomes your norm, you then also have with tirz the fact that at some point on any dose it may not be as effective with “food noise” or cravings and appetite suppression. You need to understand its effects on Ghrelin as well. One thing that people forget about Tirz is that it’s a dual action and the second part of that is the slower emptying the contents of the stomach, this can also make people have more “food noise” also not focusing on proper nutrition throughout your journey is a recipe for disaster, you can eat like crap and you’ll still lose weight, might get naseau but will still lose weight. I think if I were you before jumping ship look at a few things.

1-Is the med working and maintaining what it’s supposed to do for me?

2-Why do I really wanna switch?

3-Are there more dose levels I can try (ie-if I’m on 10MG how much higher can I go before I’m maxed, which would be 12.5mg on brand but if you’re doing peptides (do your research and you’ll find some people have found success with slower incremental doses so instead of going right to 12.5mg go to 11mg or 11.5mg).

There are a TON of next gen weight loss meds in the pipeline. If you’re experienced with how to properly store peptides for long periods then you’ll be fine but just be realistic and do the math of how much you’ll actually NEED in scenario A, B and C.

Good luck, do some research and learn more on how these meds work.

GLP/GIP are hormones. There is NO evidence of "tolerance" developing, or in the long term trials of people on stable maintenance doses weight would steadily climb over the course of years.

It's not a fucking stimulant based diet pill. Stop thinking of it in those terms.

It sets a lower target weight for the body's systems that maintain homeostasis. At "X dose" the closer you get to target the weaker the appetite suppression effects. Force yourself to gain weight and the appetite suppression effects return. A higher dose sets the target lower, appetite suppression returns until you drop to that new level. It's that simple.

There is observational evidence that taking "breaks" reduces the appetite suppression effects once a patient resumes using a GLP, even different classes, years apart. I suspect once this is researched directly, there will be a lot of regret for those who played around unnecessarily.

Last edited:
I posted this in another forum, but this forum is probably the better place to ask.

I was on brand name Mounjaro and then compounded tirzepatide via telehealth provider and now getting my own peptide. I'm debating buying a larger stockpile but wondering if others have input if you've been on tirzepatide longer term. Did you find that it stopped working, so maybe buying a large quantity isn't wise? I'm at goal and maintaining BTW. I know people have started getting retatrutide, but I'm not ready to try that until it gets further through clinical trials due to the early heart concerns.

Just curious if anyone has input...don't want to waste a bunch of money on a larger tirzepatide order if many have found its effects to wain or better to consider other stacks. I completely realize this will vary person to person. So just looking for any personal experiences or suggestions.
I have been on Tirz since June 2023 and was on the name brand at first then switched to getting my own via the peptide route so I could pick my dosage and it would be cheaper. Once I hit my goal weight I was actually able to reduce my dosage and that has worked well for me.

There is observational evidence that taking "breaks" reduces the appetite suppression effects once a patient resumes using a GLP, even different classes, years apart. I suspect once this is researched directly, there will be a lot of regret for those who played around unnecessarily.

Meaning like androgens, the longer you take them consecutively, the more sensitive you become to them? i.e. more androgen receptors? more glp receptors?

Meaning like androgens, the longer you take them consecutively, the more sensitive you become to them? i.e. more androgen receptors? more glp receptors?

Observational evidence is of course the weakest kind of evidence, so this isn't a subject I'm prepared to go to the mat on, as I usually would.

I have no idea what the underlying mechanism is that's responsible for that desensitization effect, but it seems the body doesn't like getting supplemental GLPs, coming off, then going back on, whether it's 6 months or 10 years.

I noticed this personally, in others close
to me, then I came across a study where the researchers noticed after completion, anyone who had used one of the very early diabetes GLP meds, even if only for a short period, many years before, did not exhibit as much weight loss on Tirz as the "GLP-Naive".

Then I read an article where a doctor mentioned her practitioner colleagues noticed patients who went off, regained weight. and restarted later needed higher doses to resume weight loss.