• ATTENTION New Members: Please take a few moments to introduce yourself, show your commitment to harm reduction, and chat with the community in the "New Member Introduction" subforum. This will help unlock access to additional forum features and privileges.

Lowering prolactin naturally?

JustOne

Does anyone know which suppliment can lower prolactin? There has to be something.
And not sedatives or anything used to reduce stress.

Nettle root. Make sure it's root.

It also can inhibit test to DHT conversion, apparantly.

NOW foods has a good one. 250mg caps, I believe, and cheap.

Out of curiousity, what is your prolactin level? What symptoms are you wanting to alleviate?

JustOne said:
Does anyone know which suppliment can lower prolactin? There has to be something.
And not sedatives or anything used to reduce stress.
A herb called Vitex agnus Castus.

zumper said:
A herb called Vitex agnus Castus.

Yep, Vitex does quite a good job as well. I always had great results with it.

You need to find a potent brand. Biotest, the best supp company out there, used to sell it, now it is only in their T boosting stack alpha male. That is too pricey.

If anyone has a good source for potent Vitex, Im all ears.

BTW, you want to dose at 300mg a day.

I`d go with low normal with prolactin and E2 and high normal with T and lett the SHBG fall where it may

The mean (average) is (18-2)/2
standard deviation is (18-2)4
68% of any score lies within + or - 1sd of the mean
In case you were wondering :)

I posted a link to vitacost and their vitex supps. It isn't here now.

Did it get deleted? If so, why?

Also if you are interested in a drug, look at bromocriptine.

DELETED ? I didnt think anyone was watching that would care/
Doesnt cabergoline do the same and hava a longer half life ?

For the desired affect, I think bromo is recommended because it's weaker and less likely to screw you up.

Anyway, vitacost has vitex. Their NSI brand stuff is usually very good and exactly what the label says.

I`ll give it a try and report back.
was thinking about growing some
a lot of those home grown plants are good ;)
Whats the doseage ? its a lot more t$ han the other brands.
Have you tried other brands ?

Last edited:
griffinannie said:
Dr. Shippen said his goal was 3 in a speech he gave last summer in Chicago.
Did hi (Dr Shippen) gave a acceptable range?
I just learned my prolactin=5.5ng/mL(2.0-18.0)
Should I try to make it lower?
My recuperation time is significantly longer than it used to be.
Not sure how much it is function of Prolactin and how much on my age, 67yo.

But if it was 3 then current 5.5 it is amost 200% increase.

http://www.vitacost.com/NaturesWayVitexFruit
Nature's Way Vitex Fruit -- 400 mg - 100 Capsules
Our price: $3.09

Here are a few of many studies supporting the use of Vitamin B6 in reducing prolactin:
======================================
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1976 Mar;42(3):603-6

Effect of pyridoxine (B6)on human hypophyseal trophic hormone release: a possible stimulation of hypothalamic dopaminergic pathway.

Delitala G, Masala A, Alagna S, Devilla L.

A single dose of pyridoxine (B6)(300 mg iv) produced significant rises in peak levels of immunoreactive growth hormone GH and significant decrease of plasma prolactin PRL in 8 hospitalized healthy subjects. Serum glucose, luteinizing hormone LH, follicle stimulating hormone FSH and thyrotropin TSH were not altered significantly. In addition, in 5 acromegalic patients who were studied with both L-dopa and pyridoxine, inhibition of GH secretion followed either agent in a similar pattern. These data suggest a hypothalamic dopaminergic effect of pyridoxine.

===============================
New Engl J Med 1982 Aug 12;307(7):444-5

Pyridoxine (B6) suppresses the rise in prolactin and increases the rise in growth hormone induced by exercise.

Moretti C, Fabbri A, Gnessi L, Bonifacio V, Fraioli F, Isidori A.

=====================================
Boll Soc Ital Biol Sper 1984 Feb 28;60(2):273-8

[Influence of administration of pyridoxine on circadian rhythm of plasma ACTH, cortisol prolactin and somatotropin in normal subjects]

[Article in Italian]

Barletta C, Sellini M, Bartoli A, Bigi C, Buzzetti R, Giovannini C.

The influence of vitamin B6 in a dosage of 300 mg X 2 in 24 hrs, on circadian rhythm of plasmatic ACTH, cortisol, prolactin and somatotropin have been studied in 10 normal women. After vitamin B6 24 hrs pattern of ACTH and cortisol is unchanged; prolactin levels are slightly lower, in a statistically unsignificant proportion the night peak of growth hormone is higher in a statistically significant proportion (p. 0.05). The effect of vitamin B6 is likely to me mediated by dopaminergic receptors at hypothalamic level as previous studies by other Authors appear to prove.

I've never used vitex.

But as I understand it, when searching for a brand to use, look for standardized to .6% agnusides.

Sponsors

Latest posts