MESO-Rx Exclusive Lyle Alzado's Steroid Admission and Media's Role in Steroid Demonization

MESO-Rx Administrator

Administrator
Staff member
10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
MESO-Rx is pleased to present a newly published article examining the historical events, mainstream media coverage, and public opinion surrounding NFL star Lyle Alzado's efforts to attribute his cancer diagnosis to anabolic-androgenic steroids (AAS). This narrative played a pivotal role in the subsequent stigmatization and further demonization of anabolic steroids.

The article, which encapsulates research conducted by Bryan Denham, sheds light on how media narratives, particularly those involving high-profile individuals like Alzado, can shift public focus from policy discussions to the health risks associated with steroid use.

Yes, I remember Alzado's story and "revelation" very well. My thinking at that time was that the story was going to cause anti-steroid hysteria, and it did. My second thought at the time was why am I not finding any stories or articles about any direct link to AAS use and cancers, especially brain cancer (this was all before the internet). There was never anything released empirically to connect Steroid use and cancer, specifically brain cancer, when Alzado made his baseless claims. But the media grabbed ahold of the story, and ran hard with it, shaking its' collective finger at steroid use and inflaming public opinion about the dangers of AAS use. Alzado, it seemed to me back then, was looking to make himself appear useful by steering young athletes away from AAS use, blaming his personal use for causing his predicament. Then again, he always struck me as a Prima Donna and a perpetual narcissist who needed the attention in his desperate situation. In short, the guy always struck me as a complete prick.

Yes, I remember Alzado's story and "revelation" very well. My thinking at that time was that the story was going to cause anti-steroid hysteria, and it did. My second thought at the time was why am I not finding any stories or articles about any direct link to AAS use and cancers, especially brain cancer (this was all before the internet). There was never anything released empirically to connect Steroid use and cancer, specifically brain cancer, when Alzado made his baseless claims. But the media grabbed ahold of the story, and ran hard with it, shaking its' collective finger at steroid use and inflaming public opinion about the dangers of AAS use. Alzado, it seemed to me back then, was looking to make himself appear useful by steering young athletes away from AAS use, blaming his personal use for causing his predicament. Then again, he always struck me as a Prima Donna and a perpetual narcissist who needed the attention in his desperate situation. In short, the guy always struck me as a complete prick.
Sums up my thoughts exactly.

Back