Meal for waking up and immediate morning training

Hutch1

Hey folks, life is getting hectic and I have been skipping on average 1-2 gym sessions a week which is unacceptable. I want to get back in the routine of getting up at 5am and going straight to the gym, but I could never figure out what the perfect meal was.

I used to do like a cup of oats blended with whey, peanut butter, and some fruit, but man my stomach would always churn by the time I got to the gym.

Should I just go with like 2 eggs and some whole wheat bread? I want to have enough energy for my workout (I do 1.5 hrs usually) and have something that is light on the digestion. Eggs go down easy for me and so does bread, but bread I usually crash if that is all ive had for the day.

Maybe just a fuckin cliff bar?

Hey folks, life is getting hectic and I have been skipping on average 1-2 gym sessions a week which is unacceptable. I want to get back in the routine of getting up at 5am and going straight to the gym, but I could never figure out what the perfect meal was.

I used to do like a cup of oats blended with whey, peanut butter, and some fruit, but man my stomach would always churn by the time I got to the gym.

Should I just go with like 2 eggs and some whole wheat bread? I want to have enough energy for my workout (I do 1.5 hrs usually) and have something that is light on the digestion. Eggs go down easy for me and so does bread, but bread I usually crash if that is all ive had for the day.

Maybe just a fuckin cliff bar?
You don't really want to eat fatty foods before a workout as it slows your metabolism and send lots of blood to your stomach instead of your muscles where you want it. Eat some easy to digest carbs and protein, keeps fats as close to zero as possible. Personally, I am thinking of something like sourdough, sweet potatoes, or white rice and maybe a scoop of protein or egg whites. Be careful only eating egg whites as that can be detrimental to skin, hair, and nails. and it's not a vanity thing, it's an overall health thing. (eggs whites only can actually pull the biotin and choline out of your body and cause hair to fall out, brittle nails, and shitty skin)

I usually eat white rice when I wake up (I also use BBQ sauce to make it go down easier) and maybe a banana around 20 mins before going to the gym. Works alright.

If your stomach can handle it, half a serving of a mass gainer shake works for me. Sometimes fruit instead.

That and a cup of coffee gets me going pretty good for 60-90 minutes.

Try to swap out the oats for cream of rice, it digests a lot better for a lot of people. So you could do similar type meal (cream of rice, whey, fruit)

Why not try a good meal replacement shake? Balanced, quick to get in, and digests fast.
Real food will always be superior to a mass gainer shake, the ingredients are usually pretty poor and even if you do find one with good ingredients (something where the ingredient label reads things like actual food, sweet potato, etc) it still makes more sense to consume Whole Foods. You can make your own shake with a base of liquid (egg white, almond milk, etc) add some oats, fruit, pb or whatever fits your macros.

I start my day with a protein shake. Occasionally ill use iso whey if I'm cutting carb storage.

2 scoops vanilla protein powder
1/2 scoop pbfit
~3tablespoons of chia seeds(I eye this)

Occasionally eggs/whites as well though it's more filling to just cook the eggs

Something like 20 carbs, 60 grams of protein, a shitton of omega 3s, etc

With iso whey the carbs is at least halfed. Maybe 1/4. Chia has some carbs but the fiber nearly cancels it out. Same with pbfit

Keeps me full and energetic until after my workout

Much more efficient to train on a fast state if your performance improves.
I have a delicate stomach and if I ate anything just before the gym my performance always dropped.
Training on a fast state improved my sessions massively and I was able to continue growing without. My goals were competitive.

In the past, experimenting with fasting, once I fasted 36 hours and did a heavy leg session by the end of the fast, adding drop sets and other methods. I did this to see how much I could push in that state. This obviously opened my eyes in many levels. Not saying this is opitmal, but training with your last meal being about 7 hours ago is not gonna change much.

Much more efficient to train on a fast state if your performance improves.
I have a delicate stomach and if I ate anything just before the gym my performance always dropped.
Training on a fast state improved my sessions massively and I was able to continue growing without. My goals were competitive.

In the past, experimenting with fasting, once I fasted 36 hours and did a heavy leg session by the end of the fast, adding drop sets and other methods. I did this to see how much I could push in that state. This obviously opened my eyes in many levels. Not saying this is opitmal, but training with your last meal being about 7 hours ago is not gonna change much.
For me it does matter. If i have carbs, 1 hour before i lift in morning. My lifts are so much more productivd.

Back