• ATTENTION New Members: Please take a few moments to introduce yourself, show your commitment to harm reduction, and chat with the community in the "New Member Introduction" subforum. This will help unlock access to additional forum features and privileges.

Moonshining with Icky

ickyrica

AnabolicLab.com Supporter
So here it is; the Moonshine thread. As some of you know I am a DIY guy and fully enjoy getting into things that require thought process, effort and most importantly have an element of risk. Distilling has all three to varying degrees. Distillation does not have to be just alcohol for drinking. You can distill spirits for fuel among other things. What I will be covering in this thread will be confined to just the distillation of alcohol.

We will try to distill 3 different types of liquor; Sugar mash, White Lightning and Rye. This will be done in 3 separate 'distillation runs'. The sugar will have the least complexity and will be the easiest to make. The Rye will have the largest flavor pallet to it but will not be any more complex to mash out than White Lighting. I chose these three to show the ease of mashing out and distilling with the sugar and to show the different processes involved with real moonshine like the WL & Rye.

I have a 5 gallon stainless steel still with a 1 gallon thumper and a 1 gallon worm. This setup is basic and I would recommend it for any beginner. If you wanted to take this up as a real hobby I would make the jump to a real copper still but I would go with a cheap stainless still first. It isn't a hard process but just like anything else in life it is a process. You will invest plenty of time into setting things up, mashing out, distilling and cleaning. Do not think this is a fast hobby. Cleaning takes forever. Good mash takes time. Distilling takes hours. With all of that being said I have to admit that I want to take it to the next level; I want to leave the stainless behind and make the jump to copper and that's exactly what I did today. I purchased a 10 gallon copper still with a reflux condenser. I will be using around 10 lbs of 99.9% copper mesh in the reflux per run. Between the amount of mash each still will hold and the proof that the mash will be at prior to distillation, I anticipate the sugar shine to hit around 65% - 70% with the WL & Rye near 55% on the first pass through the still. I haven't used a reflux to this point so these are rough estimates for percentages.

As a DIYer I decided to go with a Clawhammer still. The 10 gallon was the largest they have so naturally that's the one I bought. You can see it on their website. I chose this route rather than a finished still because I wanted to save some money and I though it would be cool to actually make a still from the ground up. Some of you know of Clawhammer, if you don't I suggest checking out their site.

This is in no way a Clawhammer advertisement FYI. Outside of this post and the construction of the still I wouldn't anticipate much more mention of them.

I am by no means a leading authority when it comes to distilling but I do have some real world experience with it. I have had some really good success as well as multiple failures lol, so if I can any way help a novice brewer I would love to. Feel free to ask any questions you have.

Next substantive post will be pertaining to the construction of the actual still. Thanks for reading guys!!

I was looking at a still from claw hammer about a year ago... Cool site. There's another site that has the same business model, I liked the products they had. They had more products, pot stills included.

I'd love to get into this... Probably not a great time of year for it. I've got some other projects in the works... Might have to wait until next summer and live vicariously through you until then.

I was looking at a still from claw hammer about a year ago... Cool site. There's another site that has the same business model, I liked the products they had. They had more products, pot stills included.

I'd love to get into this... Probably not a great time of year for it. I've got some other projects in the works... Might have to wait until next summer and live vicariously through you until then.
The biggest issue is keeping your mash at the correct temp until it's ready to distill. Too hot or cold and it's just strange tasting liquid lol.

I like the pot still but wanted to try a reflux. The top end of the still can always be fitted with a standard pot still cap that feeds a thumper or worm if you are double running the mash.

I'm hoping the still is up and running for thanksgiving. Maybe some holiday shine??

A good friend that doesnt seem to want to grace us with his presence anymore done forgot more than most ever knew about moonshining and running the game. Been in his family for generations. He gave me some apple pie shine a couple christmas moons ago. And ill tell ya it was bowdayshius:confused:

A good friend that doesnt seem to want to grace us with his presence anymore done forgot more than most ever knew about moonshining and running the game. Been in his family for generations. He gave me some apple pie shine a couple christmas moons ago. And ill tell ya it was bowdayshius:confused:
That's the guy I want to hang with right there! It's such a simple process but the knowledge time brings, family lineage brings can't be beat. I'm the first generation in my family.

@Ickyrica subbed...im of no help to this thread but im always willing to learn...
Plus- i got a "mr.beer" beer maker for christmas one year....so you could say im no novice to this game...expert, perhaps? :D
(I havent even opened the beer maker, btw but i read the instructions several times)

So here it is; the Moonshine thread. As some of you know I am a DIY guy and fully enjoy getting into things that require thought process, effort and most importantly have an element of risk. Distilling has all three to varying degrees. Distillation does not have to be just alcohol for drinking. You can distill spirits for fuel among other things. What I will be covering in this thread will be confined to just the distillation of alcohol.

We will try to distill 3 different types of liquor; Sugar mash, White Lightning and Rye. This will be done in 3 separate 'distillation runs'. The sugar will have the least complexity and will be the easiest to make. The Rye will have the largest flavor pallet to it but will not be any more complex to mash out than White Lighting. I chose these three to show the ease of mashing out and distilling with the sugar and to show the different processes involved with real moonshine like the WL & Rye.

I have a 5 gallon stainless steel still with a 1 gallon thumper and a 1 gallon worm. This setup is basic and I would recommend it for any beginner. If you wanted to take this up as a real hobby I would make the jump to a real copper still but I would go with a cheap stainless still first. It isn't a hard process but just like anything else in life it is a process. You will invest plenty of time into setting things up, mashing out, distilling and cleaning. Do not think this is a fast hobby. Cleaning takes forever. Good mash takes time. Distilling takes hours. With all of that being said I have to admit that I want to take it to the next level; I want to leave the stainless behind and make the jump to copper and that's exactly what I did today. I purchased a 10 gallon copper still with a reflux condenser. I will be using around 10 lbs of 99.9% copper mesh in the reflux per run. Between the amount of mash each still will hold and the proof that the mash will be at prior to distillation, I anticipate the sugar shine to hit around 65% - 70% with the WL & Rye near 55% on the first pass through the still. I haven't used a reflux to this point so these are rough estimates for percentages.

As a DIYer I decided to go with a Clawhammer still. The 10 gallon was the largest they have so naturally that's the one I bought. You can see it on their website. I chose this route rather than a finished still because I wanted to save some money and I though it would be cool to actually make a still from the ground up. Some of you know of Clawhammer, if you don't I suggest checking out their site.

This is in no way a Clawhammer advertisement FYI. Outside of this post and the construction of the still I wouldn't anticipate much more mention of them.

I am by no means a leading authority when it comes to distilling but I do have some real world experience with it. I have had some really good success as well as multiple failures lol, so if I can any way help a novice brewer I would love to. Feel free to ask any questions you have.

Next substantive post will be pertaining to the construction of the actual still. Thanks for reading guys!!
I think you'd get along with my family.lol I've helped put a pot still together and ran one a few times, never ran or built a reflux but understand the theory;) I've made corn mash, sweet feed mash but sugar whiskey seems to be the most popular to sell where I'm at...and the strongest :D

@Ickyrica subbed...im of no help to this thread but im always willing to learn...
Plus- i got a "mr.beer" beer maker for christmas one year....so you could say im no novice to this game...expert, perhaps? :D
(I havent even opened the beer maker, btw but i read the instructions several times)
fuck yeah man, you'll walk away wanting to try distilling 100%

Get that beer going!!

I think you'd get along with my family.lol I've helped put a pot still together and ran one a few times, never ran or built a reflux but understand the theory;) I've made corn mash, sweet feed mash but sugar whiskey seems to be the most popular to sell where I'm at...and the strongest :D
awesome!! From the sound of it I think I would get along well!! I knew I wasn't then only dude here who has done this :)

I'm hoping the reflux proves to be a game changer. Trying to get as much copper coverage as I can. That's what has me excited the most actually, the copper.

Sweet feed mash? How'd that come out?

awesome!! From the sound of it I think I would get along well!! I knew I wasn't then only dude here who has done this :)

I'm hoping the reflux proves to be a game changer. Trying to get as much copper coverage as I can. That's what has me excited the most actually, the copper.

Sweet feed mash? How'd that come out?
Came out pretty nice kind of like a rum from the molasses brother in law added butterscotch flavoring to it and sold the hell out of it to the duckhunters that lease from em.

Came out pretty nice kind of like a rum from the molasses brother in law added butterscotch flavoring to it and sold the hell out of it to the duckhunters that lease from em.
We talked about this before? Sounds familiar lol. Mmm, butterscotch sounds excellent.

I'm actually tickled pink that I have some kindred spirits here, pun intended lol. I'm hopeful that I'm going to be walking away with a pile of good ideas!

You guys ever use the wood blocks or chips to flavor? I did but didn't do it correctly. I just let the chips sit in the shine for about a year. Came out ok, nothing special. I think you are supposed to heat the shine and let it cool about a dozen times so it soaks into the chip and pushes out, bringing the flavor with it each heating cycle. Thats the plan for the next run anyway.

I've also been eyeing those little wood barrels online. Like a gallon size maybe. A few years sitting in a personal barrel should make for some interesting stuff :)

We talked about this before? Sounds familiar lol. Mmm, butterscotch sounds excellent.

I'm actually tickled pink that I have some kindred spirits here, pun intended lol. I'm hopeful that I'm going to be walking away with a pile of good ideas!

You guys ever use the wood blocks or chips to flavor? I did but didn't do it correctly. I just let the chips sit in the shine for about a year. Came out ok, nothing special. I think you are supposed to heat the shine and let it cool about a dozen times so it soaks into the chip and pushes out, bringing the flavor with it each heating cycle. Thats the plan for the next run anyway.

I've also been eyeing those little wood barrels online. Like a gallon size maybe. A few years sitting in a personal barrel should make for some interesting stuff :)
I looked into the barrels about 10yrs ago probably way more options now. Never played with the wood chips. I've heard people's view of what straight shine is supposed to be is different depending on region, where I am it should float120plus proof and be so smooth you can confuse it with water for the first 5 seconds.lol

I looked into the barrels about 10yrs ago probably way more options now. Never played with the wood chips. I've heard people's view of what straight shine is supposed to be is different depending on region, where I am it should float120plus proof and be so smooth you can confuse it with water for the first 5 seconds.lol
I hit about 120 with out a thump keg. Not exactly smooth though, which I think is because I don't have enough copper.

I hit about 120 with out a thump keg. Not exactly smooth though, which I think is because I don't have enough copper.
My brother in law probably sells around 50gal a year but 90% of that is mixed jars(apple pie, lemonade, cinnamon, peach,etc) makes way more off of mixed than straight.