MESO-Rx Exclusive Peter Bond on Thyroid Hormone and Nitrogen Balance

MESO-Rx Administrator

Administrator
Staff member
10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
@PeterBond examines the research on thyroid hormones and how they impact the bodybuilders' goals of muscle building and fat loss. This is a somewhat technical article for those who really want to know how these drugs work and what the scientific research can tell us about them.

I have to ask, how many people on here do you think can understand that? This is written at a level where only other experts can understand it. I'm guessing... 1 or 2 other people on this whole board can understand it.

Peter is too smart for us!

I have to ask, how many people on here do you think can understand that? This is written at a level where only other experts can understand it. I'm guessing... 1 or 2 other people on this whole board can understand it.

I sincerely hope that's not that case, as any undergrad cell biology or biochem book is a lot more complex than this. I have failed as a writer if only 1 or 2 people on this board can understand it.

I'll be happy to elaborate on any parts of the article that aren't clear.

Last edited:
Perhaps the most interesting part of the article. This is what 2 weeks of T3 at 100 mcg daily does to your muscle:
1640347281024.png

That's a 15% decrease in fiber cross-sectional area of the type 2A muscle fibers.

1 or 2 is definitely waaaaay low. Tons of people like reading Peter's articles. Also, even if much of the article is above some people's heads, it is good for them to challenge themselves to understand and learn more. Besides, one doesn't need to understand every single bit of nuance in the article to extract valuable information from it.

Great article Peter! Really does an incredible job of highlighting why using thyroid for a cut (or whomever you were referring to at the beginning that was going to use it for a bulk) is a bad idea. Never planned to use it anyway, personally, but I supposed this article really puts the nail in the coffin for thyroid and bodybuilding. I would much rather use 4-8 mgs of salbutamol.

BOOM! Great article. Most noteworthy, 75 µg of exogenous T3 increases RMR by 15% and 100 µg exogenous T3 for 2 weeks reduced type IIA fiber CSA in line with this increased RMR (though there may be some compensatory mechanism that antagonizes the protein catabolic effects over longer periods). That, to most, should be a stark message about the utility of thyroid hormones for recomping, not to mind bulking.

1 or 2 is definitely waaaaay low. Tons of people like reading Peter's articles. Also, even if much of the article is above some people's heads, it is good for them to challenge themselves to understand and learn more. Besides, one doesn't need to understand every single bit of nuance in the article to extract valuable information from it.

Great article Peter! Really does an incredible job of highlighting why using thyroid for a cut (or whomever you were referring to at the beginning that was going to use it for a bulk) is a bad idea. Never planned to use it anyway, personally, but I supposed this article really puts the nail in the coffin for thyroid and bodybuilding. I would much rather use 4-8 mgs of salbutamol.
Agree. I literally always learn some new very interesting fact from Peter's articles. Here, it was the degree of muscle catabolism caused by exogenous T3. On the discussion that led to this article, he also provided a study containing a Table with protein turnover rates across species including man which is highly useful for interpreting research on anabolic agents generally.

Agreed, outstanding article.

Honest question: do you really feel albuterol to a worthwhile addition to a cut? I know they like it alot over on the reddit steroids sub, but I read the 4 studies they cite as justification for albuterol use. I was very unimpressed with the totality fo the research. But that's not to say it rules out the potential of albuterol.

Honest question: do you really feel albuterol to a worthwhile addition to a cut? I know they like it alot over on the reddit steroids sub, but I read the 4 studies they cite as justification for albuterol use. I was very unimpressed with the totality fo the research. But that's not to say it rules out the potential of albuterol.
I haven't read about b2-agonists in ages, so I can't give a good comment on that. I'll probably do some reading up the coming months though. I remember a clinical trial a couple of years ago which yielded some interesting results (in terms of its anabolic potency) with, if memory serves me correctly, terbutaline.

I haven't read about b2-agonists in ages, so I can't give a good comment on that. I'll probably do some reading up the coming months though. I remember a clinical trial a couple of years ago which yielded some interesting results (in terms of its anabolic potency) with, if memory serves me correctly, terbutaline.
That is a good study. Of note:

Change in single fiber cross-sectional area of myosin heavy chain (MHC) I (1,205 ± 558µm²;P0.01) and MHC II fibers (1,277 ± 595µm²;P0.05) of the vastus lateralis muscle was higher..., whereas no changes were observed in MHC isoform distribution. Expression of muscle proteins involved in growth, ion handling, lactate production, and clearance increased (P0.05) with the intervention (max cycle ergometer) with no change in oxidative enzymes. Our observations suggest that muscle hypertrophy is the primary mechanism underlying enhancements in muscle force and peak power during maximal cycling induced by chronic β2-adrenergic stimulation in humans.

Hostrup, M., Kalsen, A., Onslev, J., Jessen, S., Haase, C., Habib, S., … Bangsbo, J. (2015). Mechanisms underlying enhancements in muscle force and power output during maximal cycle ergometer exercise induced by chronic β2-adrenergic stimulation in men. Journal of Applied Physiology, 119(5), 475–486. doi:10.1152/japplphysiol.00319.2015

I've found the steroid subreddit to be a very interesting place in how they come to conclusions. They put forth their evidence of clen cardiotoxicity very unconvincingly by using case reports and the rat cardiotoxicity paper which, by my interpretation, demonstrates that clen is markedly safe at low dosages. Chemically, clen and terbutaline are quite similar, and there are real benefits to both over albuterol. I actually view albuterol as rather useless. Clen's risk-reward profile is good.

I don't rule out the potential for morphological changes and even cardiac apoptosis at the higher end of what's seen with bodybuilding doses where the user just continually ramps up as tolerance increases. Still, the morphological changes with clen are not maladaptive. It should simply be used cyclically and sparingly.

I would definitely be curious about your opinion on it!

Yeah I totally do. The research isn't INCREDIBLE but I do think it is pretty good. Anecdotally I have experienced definite benefit. I can't say how much muscle was spared obviously but it for sure helped control appetite and made for a very successful cut with zero side effects other than mild jittery feelings

Last edited: