Pressure cooker for steriliIzing

I was talking clearly of not only glass but stopper for example, I know well that borosilicate duran glass for example are certified for a lot higher temperatures then 232c
Isopropyl bath are not enough for sterilizing, as isopropyl alcohol can't kill mold for example and other stuff you need other chemicals and placing everything in a pressure canner is a lot simpler and faster isn't it?

vials are dry heat sterilized and STOPPERS ARE STEAM STERILIZED

They do sterilize stoppers in autoclave for example it seems. Not in iso bath.

I think you can cover the glass opening with tin foil so that you have no condensation inside and the glass should be dry and sterilized at the end of the cycle, is a lot faster compared to dry sterilization too.

Of course you don't use autoclave bags for dry sterilization, why would you, makes no sense.

So do you have an example for me of what kind of oven to use? I'm happy to do both, dry sterilization for glasses and steam for stoppers etc.
Too bad small vials are not pyrex and so they will probably not sustain well a dry sterilization but I could be wrong. Big media bottle of borosilicate and beakers will sustain the dry heat sterilization for sure
I don't know if anybody said this yet or not, but you could always use better Stoppers, such as silicone Stoppers. That will not break apart when punctured with a 20 gauge needle a few times, and can was stand dry heat sterilization at temperatures above 350°F no problem. I mean you're going to pay a few extra cents per stopper, but if you ask me for harm reduction purposes, that's well worth it, and just in case your into or get into using EO and G, which are not chemical compatible with rubber Butyl Stoppers, you will be good to go..

Also brother, i say this with all of due respect, but all these guys are just trying to help you. If it was me, I would try to be a little nicer or a little bit more appreciative..JS....

I don't know if anybody said this yet or not, but you could always use better Stoppers, such as silicone Stoppers. That will not break apart when punctured with a 20 gauge needle a few times, and can was stand dry heat sterilization at temperatures above 350°F no problem. I mean you're going to pay a few extra cents per stopper, but if you ask me for harm reduction purposes, that's well worth it, and just in case your into or get into using EO and G, which are not chemical compatible with rubber Butyl Stoppers, you will be good to go..

Also brother, i say this with all of due respect, but all these guys are just trying to help you. If it was me, I would try to be a little nicer or a little bit more appreciative..JS....
Butyl stopper are not ok even with BB.

Only a mad man would use EO or Guaiacol.

Sure using better stoppers is a great solution problem is finding those better stopper. It's not so easy.

Steam sterilization is good for sterilizing cartridge for insulin pen too something that you can't do in an oven using dry heat sterilization

I'm not sure 232C is required for dry sterilization. I dry sterilize glassware occasionally and found a process that I follow, I think 170C for 1hr.

One of the problems that you're having is that EU is that there are strict safety requirements for pressure cookers that no manufacturer wants to adhere to and even still, there's a max allowable pressure well below 15psi.

How difficult would it be for you to import something from the US? You can get a cheapass Mirro or an All American (less cheap) off ebay. Regardless of condition you can get replacement parts including the 15PSI weights pretty easily.

I'm not sure 232C is required for dry sterilization. I dry sterilize glassware occasionally and found a process that I follow, I think 170C for 1hr.

One of the problems that you're having is that EU is that there are strict safety requirements for pressure cookers that no manufacturer wants to adhere to and even still, there's a max allowable pressure well below 15psi.

How difficult would it be for you to import something from the US? You can get a cheapass Mirro or an All American (less cheap) off ebay. Regardless of condition you can get replacement parts including the 15PSI weights pretty easily.
Yeah I was thinking to order one from AliExpress inb4 my house explode ahahah

Pressure cooker from America are from 300+ dollars plus the shipping fees plus import fees : / not cheap indeed

Yeah I was thinking to order one from AliExpress inb4 my house explode ahahah

Pressure cooker from America are from 300+ dollars plus the shipping fees plus import fees : / not cheap indeed

Aliexpress carries Mirro pressure cookers. Not sure if they're clones of the US made ones or they simply moved production to China. The 92116 will do 15PSI. It's going to be quite large. I don't know of any smaller ones that will that are not vintage units. Mostly because the smaller ones explode more quickly if something goes awry and the pressure spikes.

If you were to get something from America, I'd try to find a deal on an All American on ebay. Not sure what the shipping and import fees would be. I'm half inclined to send you my old #7 but I'd have to find it. I haven't used it in forever and have an All American autoclave in any case.

Solid recommendation on the oven with silicon stoppers. Im looking to filter and rebottle my gear from Q. @Sampei great thread man. Between this and the one you made for the home brew excel sheet, you've saved me a lot of time.

Please let us know if you end up purchasing a pressure cooker. I think I will go the oven route.

A bit off topic, are you using a flow hood?

Solid recommendation on the oven with silicon stoppers. Im looking to filter and rebottle my gear from Q. @Sampei great thread man. Between this and the one you made for the home brew excel sheet, you've saved me a lot of time.

Please let us know if you end up purchasing a pressure cooker. I think I will go the oven route.

A bit off topic, are you using a flow hood?
No flow hood, don't think that is needed, that's what ppl with a lot more experience have been telling me.
If you just wanna refilter the gear just buy syringe filters and sterile vials, don't really need any oven etc.

Yeah the oven it's easier but you can't sterilize everything in it that's why I really wanted a pressure cooker

Back