PTFE Syringe Filter Flow Rate

BrunoES

I just came across a way to source PTFE Syringe Filters that are 25mm diameter, 0.22 and already sterile.

I am used to using a bottle top filter but it isn't available for now.

The filters are hydrophobic and the oil I am going to be using is MCT.

Wanted to know from people who have used those syringe filters about the flow rate. How slow is it? I will be filtering around 600ml of total oil.

Thanks in advance, guys.

you can not filter 600ml with one filter. the maximum capacity is 100ml but after 30 or 50ml it becomes very hard to push. for me, 30ml takes around 10 minutes and that is the maximum I have brewed in one go.
you can use a chalk gun but be careful to not put a a lot of pressure on it as the filter can break

you can not filter 600ml with one filter. the maximum capacity is 100ml but after 30 or 50ml it becomes very hard to push. for me, 30ml takes around 10 minutes and that is the maximum I have brewed in one go.
you can use a chalk gun but be careful to not put a a lot of pressure on it as the filter can break
Oh, I don't plan on using only one, it's a kit with 100 filters.
30ml in 10min isn't bad. 600ml would take a little bit over 3 hours. I would split it and do 100ml per day and be done in about a week.

Speaking of filtering, have any of you tried these replaceable membrane filters in the larger 50mm size via syringe or used a replaceable membrane setup like this with a vacuum extraction filter cap? You can find the 50mm membranes in 0.22um, 0.10um and even 0.05um on Amazon or AliExpress made from PTFE or PVDF. Looks interesting.

Attachments

• IMG_8015.jpeg
    IMG_8015.jpeg
    102.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8017.jpeg
    IMG_8017.jpeg
    82 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8020.jpeg
    IMG_8020.jpeg
    193.5 KB · Views: 10
Speaking of filtering, have any of you tried these replaceable membrane filters in the larger 50mm size via syringe or used a replaceable membrane setup like this with a vacuum extraction filter cap? You can find the 50mm membranes in 0.22um, 0.10um and even 0.05um on Amazon or AliExpress made from PTFE or PVDF. Looks interesting.
You can do what you're talking about just not with the quality of these materials. If you had a 90mm stainless steel filter holder, then you could attach on to your lab stand, with tubing going from the top of it to the beaker that needs to be filtered, and attach a vacuum extraction filter cap or safety cap with 2 separate 1/4" Barbed fittings, whatever you want to call it, to the top of a GL45 media bottle, and connect you vacuum to 1 of the Barbed fittings on the GL45 safety cap, and use a 1 or 2 inch piece of tubing to connect the last Barbed fitting to the bottom of the stainless steel filter holder, and bang. Now you can filter 2000ml in 20 minutes..

You can do what you're talking about just not with the quality of these materials. If you had a 90mm stainless steel filter holder, then you could attach on to your lab stand, with tubing going from the top of it to the beaker that needs to be filtered, and attach a vacuum extraction filter cap or safety cap with 2 separate 1/4" Barbed fittings, whatever you want to call it, to the top of a GL45 media bottle, and connect you vacuum to 1 of the Barbed fittings on the GL45 safety cap, and use a 1 or 2 inch piece of tubing to connect the last Barbed fitting to the bottom of the stainless steel filter holder, and bang. Now you can filter 2000ml in 20 minutes..
Thanks for the idea Bigguy81! I’ve seen the stainless filter holders. I’ve read where some people including Xkawn ran some BA through their non sterile filters and called them good to go? So far, I’ve only used sterile syringe or bottle top filters, but the GL45 extraction setup intrigues me.

Can non-sterile filter membranes (PTFE, PVDF) be reliably autoclaved (wrapped in autoclave paper) and be considered sterile to use in these stainless filter holders?