Self phlebotomy

I almost passed out reading this. Some of you bros are crazy. LMAO! How do you know the right amount to pull? I have no problems injecting muscle but into a vein. Props to you guys. That's dedication. Does it work?

I almost passed out reading this. Some of you bros are crazy. LMAO! How do you know the right amount to pull? I have no problems injecting muscle but into a vein. Props to you guys. That's dedication. Does it work?

I just drain into a pint bottle or measuring cup and stop at a pint. From what i understand that's what they take anyway. It works, I got my hematocrit from mid 50's to high 40's pretty quick. Got an iron deficiency now I'm trying get back where it needs to be. Much better than being all red and short of breath though. I've been supplementing iron and it's been making me feel a lot better. Gonna get more labs in like eight weeks.

Just make sure you're getting labs before self letting. You don't want to become anemic from frequent donations /draws. It makes since to know if there is a need before going through the process.

This is definitely a problem that you can run into. My ferritin was 11 on my bloods last month. Range is like 20-250 or something. My hematocrit was crazy high and needed gotten down though.

I just drain into a pint bottle or measuring cup and stop at a pint. From what i understand that's what they take anyway. It works, I got my hematocrit from mid 50's to high 40's pretty quick. Got an iron deficiency now I'm trying get back where it needs to be. Much better than being all red and short of breath though. I've been supplementing iron and it's been making me feel a lot better. Gonna get more labs in like eight weeks.

I ran into the frequent donation/amenic issue in 2015. Shit sucked! Iron supplements and my beloved red meat helped resolved the issue. Now I'll only supplement iron for a week or so after the donation. Seems to do the trick.

I ran into the frequent donation/amenic issue in 2015. Shit sucked! Iron supplements and my beloved red meat helped resolved the issue. Now I'll only supplement iron for a week or so after the donation. Seems to do the trick.

I was getting fatigue and rapid heart rate and other symptoms and got some bloods that included iron last month. Been taking 2-4 27mg ferritin pills and it's got me feeling better right away. Gonna get more bloods in a couple months to see where I'm at. Just trying to find the right balance of donations and iron supplementation.

This is definitely a problem that you can run into. My ferritin was 11 on my bloods last month. Range is like 20-250 or something. My hematocrit was crazy high and needed gotten down though.

On the Red Cross website they had a blurb that considered 3 or more donations for a male considered "frequent". They recommended frequent donors take iron supplements.

It's smart that you monitor your own bloods.

Great info bro. I'm sure that will help a lot of members. At least the responsible ones. Thanks for sharing that.

Shouldn't it be safe though if only donating/draining a pint or so every once in a while. I mean blood banks want you to donate as frequently as possible. I wouldn't go as far as doing it that often but shouldn't it be safe for anyone to do it half as frequent or less compared to what a blood bank considers safe? And yes I understand why you have to do it on gear sometimes Im just talking about it being safe in general.

Back