Sterilising vials the pedantic way

I'm not the person you're asking, but I can explain how it is done in a laboratory setting.

First, you prepare a soapy water bath and place all your vials in there. You can use a bottle brush or even a twisted up paper towel to make sure there's no particulate material or a chemical coating from the manufacturing process. After this, you rinse with normal running water, both to remove any soap residue and anything else. Using distilled water at this point is overkill.

Next, for the distilled water rinses, you want to fill the interior of the vial with the distilled water. The first time or two, it is not a bad idea to put a GLOVED thumb over the vial mouth and shake. This agitation helps get any leftover stuff from adhering to the side of the vial, even though the contact with your thumb isn't perfectly clean. The next couple of rinses, you don't want to touch the mouth of the vial at all, so that any thing that was on that small bit of your glove surface is washed out. You just fill the vial, dump the vial.

After the final distilled water rise, place the vial upside down on top of a piece of baked aluminum foil. This will prevent anything dust from falling into the mouth. (Just get some cheap, store brand foil with no coating, remove it from the roll, and bake it at 500 for an hour.)

This type of cleaning protocol is not only good for microbiology, but also for glassware to be used in chemical analysis of organics. So we're not talking about whole cells fucking up the analysis, we're talking about the oils from human skin wrecking everything.
Question, do you wash your syringes also?

syringes are 1 time use and cost pennies....
Not if you have glass syringes and all steel needles..... I'm joking by the way.. single use syringes are by far the easiest way to go even when brewing...

Last edited:
lol, syringes can handle the PC but unless a hippy mushroom grower reducing carbon footprint and worst case is the grain goes green vs ur leg. also when dealing with oils and solvents sticks around on the plunger and sets things up for a pathogen source or even just moisture getting stuck in there esp in plunger which obv is more of an issue as will be filtered post syringe.

lol, syringes can handle the PC but unless a hippy mushroom grower reducing carbon footprint and worst case is the grain goes green vs ur leg. also when dealing with oils and solvents sticks around on the plunger and sets things up for a pathogen source or even just moisture getting stuck in there esp in plunger which obv is more of an issue as will be filtered post syringe.
Ok so you suggest to throw away the syringes once the brewing is finished and buy new ones when i need to brew again what about beakers are those also one time use?

Ok so you suggest to throw away the syringes once the brewing is finished and buy new ones when i need to brew again what about beakers are those also one time use and

lol u can send used beakers to PO Box clearheaded @CL AVE CLEARWATER AB. ;) kid of course, yes of course reuse beakers as intended for that use.

I'm not the person you're asking, but I can explain how it is done in a laboratory setting.

First, you prepare a soapy water bath and place all your vials in there. You can use a bottle brush or even a twisted up paper towel to make sure there's no particulate material or a chemical coating from the manufacturing process. After this, you rinse with normal running water, both to remove any soap residue and anything else. Using distilled water at this point is overkill.

Next, for the distilled water rinses, you want to fill the interior of the vial with the distilled water. The first time or two, it is not a bad idea to put a GLOVED thumb over the vial mouth and shake. This agitation helps get any leftover stuff from adhering to the side of the vial, even though the contact with your thumb isn't perfectly clean. The next couple of rinses, you don't want to touch the mouth of the vial at all, so that any thing that was on that small bit of your glove surface is washed out. You just fill the vial, dump the vial.

After the final distilled water rise, place the vial upside down on top of a piece of baked aluminum foil. This will prevent anything dust from falling into the mouth. (Just get some cheap, store brand foil with no coating, remove it from the roll, and bake it at 500 for an hour.)

This type of cleaning protocol is not only good for microbiology, but also for glassware to be used in chemical analysis of organics. So we're not talking about whole cells fucking up the analysis, we're talking about the oils from human skin wrecking everything.
Will the 500 farenheit for an hour not damage the vials?

However, the literature is replete with instance of oils that contain vegetative pathogens and spores that would be happy to start growing when placed an inch inside of a warm, watery, nutrient rich muscle belly.

Could the risk be minimized by always using refined, pharma grade oils, instead of organic/bio cold-pressed oils?

What would you recommend for sterilizing rubber stoppers and caps for media bottles?

Very interesting thread by the way.

Would something Like this also work for disinfection?
Its a autoclave from amazon for cosmetic and tattoo studios

Attachments

• IMG_1856.jpeg
    IMG_1856.jpeg
    587.4 KB · Views: 21
I've just been giving everything an alcohol bath then drying in the oven @225 for 30mins. ‍‍ Is this royally fucking up? I've never had an issue.

I've just been giving everything an alcohol bath then drying in the oven @225 for 30mins. ‍‍ Is this royally fucking up? I've never had an issue.
Alcohol bath wash off with distilled water (don’t put the alcohol soaked vials in the oven) then autoclave in a pouch/ pressure cook as long as it gets over 120 degrees Celsius.
The oven alone would definitely not sterilise the vials as you probably cook your food in there also….

Would something Like this also work for disinfection?
Its a autoclave from amazon for cosmetic and tattoo studios
This is not an autoclave it looks like a dry heat sterilizer, It will work for terminal sterilization (The process of sterilizing a product in its final container).
For an autoclave use either a Pressure cooker ( you must get a large and powerful one that gets to a minimum of 11.5PSI ( Instant Pot newer models I used mine for several brews with success the time gets longer tho I think I calculated it at 3 hours and 16 minutes but don't remember ) 15PSI is best at 60-90 mins.
You can also find gas bottles that are refurbished as autoclaves or second-hand dental autoclaves that go around 300-1000 EU.
The last option is your best bet, if you are on a budget just find a powerful pressure cooker that goes to 15 PSI.
I managed to find a second-hand dental autoclave and send it to a repairman for certification and maintenance check It cost me 400 EU for the autoclave and 60 EU for the routine check, clean up and certification, which is a steal.
Look for manual old ones (european made, stay away from chinese ones) , they are cheaper for maintenance (since they a super simple) and more sturdy, should last forever and the mechanics should know how to fix them with ease in case something breaks, also look for a model that still has spare parts.

Sorry if this sounds stupid guys, just trying to wrap my head around it as there are so many ways to skin a cat.

Buying vials that aren't pre steralised.

Could you wash with soapy water, then give them an alcohol bath, wash with distilled water, put them in an air fry oven bought purely for this so no food ect has been in it.
Start on low heat to get rid of the water droplets and then crank up to 340 degrees Fahrenheit for 1 hour.

Would that suffice?

And the vial stoppers I'm assuming.couldn't go in that heat as well