Study

Barny

Hi guys,

I am currently recruiting participants for some research I am conducting as part of my PhD at the University of Birmingham, England. I am investigating factors influencing training and anabolic steroid use with strength-training communities, including COVID-19. This research is part of the work of our research group looking to arrange educational workshops for – and inform the practice of – harm reduction services.

The study involves completing an anonymous survey four times over an 18-month period. If you are male, have used anabolic steroids during the last 12 months, at least 18 years old, and would like to participate, please click on the link below to read more about the study, and if still interested, complete the first survey. By taking part you will be entered into a prize draw where you can win a £100, £50 or a £25 Amazon voucher.

Psychological Factors Accompanying Anabolic Steroid Use

Feel free to DM me if you have any questions.

Cheers.

Good morning. Where is the funding coming from for this study? I see the primary stated goal is harm reduction. Can you please elaborate on how this might be implemented?

Could you provide more information about yourself? Who you actually are? We've had this in the past, and i like the idea of it. The more info about the topic the better imo. I think if you had credentials that could be verified you'd get further than the potential for a couple dollars.

Morning,

So the study is funded by the Economic Social Research Council here in the UK. (Home - Economic and Social Research Council)

We are hoping that we can use this data to provide services more specific to the needs of steroid users. By sharing what we find in this study with needle and syringe programs and harm reduction services, we hope to educate them and aid in keeping them up to date with all the information coming out of image and performance enhancing drug research.

My research group hosted a image and performance enhancing drug workshop to harm reduction services and other academic researchers last year at the University of Birmingham, using data the research group has gathered so far from our university and others such as New South Wales University and Teeside University. We had current and past users come in and provide their stories and present issues with current harm reduction services. So hopefully with the information we gather from this study and others, we can make this a regular and up to date event.

I hope that helps?

Could you provide more information about yourself? Who you actually are? We've had this in the past, and i like the idea of it. The more info about the topic the better imo. I think if you had credentials that could be verified you'd get further than the potential for a couple dollars.

Yes of course.

I am a PhD student from the University of Birmingham, with a background in Human Biology and Neuroscience. I've played a high level of rugby and been training in gyms around the UK for the last 15 years, and developed a fascination about the body and how you can enhance it through training and chemical means.

I think there is a lack of understanding by a lot of healthcare workers about steroids (which I have had first hand experience of) and I'm hoping this research can help bridge that gap and educate them. Also aiding in forming better and more specific harm reduction services for users.

Just don't get why someone funded/supported/with values of WADA would think that was a good idea!? Does that happen a lot?

I don't think so. Most researchers I've encountered are more interested in harm reduction and creating support services. But, who knows... That particular thread was a learning experience.

Haha yeah, I don't think that researcher will be affiliating themselves with WADA again or approaching research the same way.

Speaking of support services, is there anything you'd like to see more or less of?

Where the fuck is my Amazon gift card. :)
Hahaha. The main study is still on going. Currently send out emails for the third time-point. The final time-point will be in 4 months and I will be doing the prize draw for Amazon vouchers then :)

This was a spin off article as there was a call for papers looking at the effects of COVID.