Terrible shin splints

JStrag3

Stupid, stupid question, but figured here would be the best place to ask.

I sometimes run a mile to get cardio in and clear my head.

In the past 15 months, I’ve gone from 140 to 219. I get fucking terrible shin splints that’ll last for 2-3 days after. I understand the added weight, coming down hard on my feet, etc. But is this something that will subside on its own, relearn to land softer or is my body just weak af.

Thanks guys

It sounds like you've made a big change in your weight over the past 15 months, which definitely affects how your body handles impact during running. Shin splints are pretty common, especially if your body is adjusting to carrying more weight or if you’re not used to the increased impact. For most people it will go away over time.

Order I would look for help: Running Surface (Trails over Roads), Shoes (Nike Invincible). Best wishes.

It sounds like you've made a big change in your weight over the past 15 months, which definitely affects how your body handles impact during running. Shin splints are pretty common, especially if your body is adjusting to carrying more weight or if you’re not used to the increased impact. For most people it will go away over time.

Order I would look for help: Running Surface (Trails over Roads), Shoes (Nike Invincible). Best wishes.
Yeah not something I’ve ever experienced. Thanks

I used to get them when adding volume or speed to my runs. They always went away with time. I did get to a point where I could feel the coming on and I would back off the training. This obviously helps ease into increased workload, in your case a bit more weight.

Stupid, stupid question, but figured here would be the best place to ask.

I sometimes run a mile to get cardio in and clear my head.

In the past 15 months, I’ve gone from 140 to 219. I get fucking terrible shin splints that’ll last for 2-3 days after. I understand the added weight, coming down hard on my feet, etc. But is this something that will subside on its own, relearn to land softer or is my body just weak af.

Thanks guys

I like Nike Zoomx Vaporfly Next% 2 for running.

I like Nike Zoomx Vaporfly Next% 2 for running.
While those shoes are exceptional and highly regarded for racing, their carbon fiber plate may not be suitable for someone dealing with shin splints. The Invincible offers the same foam technology as the Vaporfly but without the plate, making it a better option for those with shin splints, in my opinion.

Maybe also look at what the foot is doing during the stride.
As it involves the tibialis a. , see ìf you are dorsiflexing too much and /or how that movement at the ankle is for you.
But the added weight is probably not helping, as you hinted.

While those shoes are exceptional and highly regarded for racing, their carbon fiber plate may not be suitable for someone dealing with shin splints. The Invincible offers the same foam technology as the Vaporfly but without the plate, making it a better option for those with shin splints, in my opinion.

Thanks for the tip. I used to get muscle cramps in the muscles in front of my shins (tibia?) but not shin splints. Don't get the cramps anymore.

Hopefully @JStrag3's shin splints go away because cardio is a good thing.

Might consider other options like swimming.

Thanks for the tip. I used to get muscle cramps in the muscles in front of my shins (tibia?) but not shin splints. Don't get the cramps anymore.
Tibia is the bone, tibialis anterior the muscle at the front.

Hopefully @JStrag3's shin splints go away because cardio is a good thing.
Yes, it should go away.
When it doesn't you know it could be more serious stuff like stress fractures.
Not his case, I think

Might consider other options like swimming.

Or cycling.
Can go on longer with that, than swimming, unless he is good at it.