The BEST Filter Paper Membranes For Filtering Oils

What is The BEST Paper Filter Membrane to Use For Filtering Oils?

• MCE (Mixed Cellulose Esters)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cellulose acetate (CA) membranes

• Cellulose nitrate (CN) membranes

• Regenerated cellulose (RC) membranes

• Glass fiber filters

• Total voters

aceroids1

I've seen a few different ways of filtering oils once they are heated and mixed well, but I wanted to know what most guys from the community feel are the best 'filter paper membranes' to use while doing the last couple of steps for vial preparation, from their own experiences.

Here are the common filters that I've heard of so far, which any could be used during the filtration process:

- MCE (Mixed Cellulose Esters)
- Cellulose acetate (CA) membranes
- Cellulose nitrate (CN) membranes
- Nylon membranes
- Polyethersulfone (PES) membranes
- Regenerated cellulose (RC) membranes
- Polytetrafluorethylene (PTFE) membranes
- Polyvinylidene Fluoride (PVDF) membranes
- Glass fiber filters
- Syringe Filtering (.2 or .22 micron paper filter)

I will be using a filtration system as shown below, but wanted to know which filter type would be BEST to use with it:

Lab-Medical-Glassware-Vacuum-Filtration.jpg

Which type of filter paper membranes do you use, and why do you feel that the one you use is best. What have your experiences been like, with your current filtration system?

Don't forget to cast your vote above on the filter paper that you use, and respond here in more details. Thank you community participating.

Polls like these will help us all when it comes time to go shopping for our lab tools since it helps to hone in on the details of each required tool.

There's no question pvdf are best and nylon/ptfe come in second. The other filter types will dissolve into your gear and completely fuck it up....aside from glass fiber filters.

There's no question pvdf are best and nylon/ptfe come in second. The other filter types will dissolve into your gear and completely fuck it up....aside from glass fiber filters.
So you have already tried ALL of the other filters mentioned above yourself or you've only heard or read about these other filter types ruining batches?

Do you have to get shot in the face with a shotgun point blank to know that it will kill you too?
Horrible analogy and logic because a shotgun is obvious, while something like this that requires some technical skills and knowledge is not obvious. This is underground information to learn, not something as obvious as a "shotgun to the face". Again, horrible logic. The information that JetsFan would have would be either from A) An experienced lab tech or chemist who guided him. B) From his own personal experiences through trial/error/testing. C) From whatever sources of information that he's learned online or elsewhere (which would have to be credible sources to carry any weight).

Why do you feel that people should already know which filter is best while filtering or to know which filters would definitely ruin their gear, especially someone who is just getting started in homebrewing? How is it as obvious as "a shotgun to the face"? I don't quite understand your logic.

Last edited:
So you have already tried ALL of the other filters mentioned above yourself or you've only heard or read about these other filter types ruining batches?

No, haven't used them myself because I don't want to ruin my brews, but feel free to try for yourself brother :)

No, haven't used them myself because I don't want to ruin my brews, but feel free to try for yourself brother :)
JetsFan, I don't think that you quite understand what I'm saying here. Just because somebody challenges something that you've stated, doesn't mean that they're against you or want to argue.

If everyone had the same attitude as "just shut up and trust whatever I tell you, without me showing you any proof or explaining how I've come to these conclusions" then this forum wouldn't be very beneficial to any of the folks who are beginning and want to know what has been tested. Don't think that I'm trying to go against anything that you've stated, I'm actually willing to try your ideas. I'm just asking how you've come to that conclusion. No need to be condescending.

"No, haven't used them myself because I don't want to ruin my brews", but yet, you never stated how the other filters were tested to know for sure.

Now, I've been reading that PVDF will have greater filtering capacity. PES can dissolve under high concentrations of BA or BB, if this is what you're referring to.

BTW, aren't the PVDF filters very expensive? I don't think that I've even seen them for a good price.

Last edited:
Choose Nylon, pvdf or ptfe membrane filter. Hydrophobic ones will filter the oil faster (Nylon is hydrophilic) but pvdf and ptfe i belive is natural hydrophobic. Regenerated Cellulose is another one that would work, but hydrophilic. Consider surfuctants and wetting agents. RC and nylon from Whatman are free from those chemicals, They can be extracted if you use an aqueus solution, i dont know about oils, but i am guessing they can be extracted there too. RC filters from Whatman can be sterilized by all methods. PVDF from Millipore can be by steam. PTFE is however toxic and carcinogenic so i would avoid it if you can, the cheaper ones are the worst. Millipore pvdf can go down to 0.1 micron and be found both hydrophobic and hydrophilic. Whatman makes polyamide filters too wich are a little more hydrophobic and a little more chemical resistant. Nylon are cheapest. And can also be used to filter your l-carnitine and homemade BAC.

Also glass microfiber filters shed small glass particles into your brew wich the body can not break down. So stay away, that includes the GD/X syringe filters from whatman.

And remove particulates. I forgot to mention that you of course can use hydrophobic filters for aqeous solutions you just have to use BA to wet it first and that will get into your filtrate.

@aceroids1, this info should be of help brother :)

I appreciate the source of information, but other than benzyl alcohol & benzyl benzoate, what other chemicals should we be aware of if we were to brew Testosterone Cypionate, Enanthate, or Masteron Enanthate, just for example? Do we need to go find all of the chemicals that are in each powder to compare to this chart, and if so, do you know which place is best to find all chemicals of each powder? The powders would have to be compared against the recommended chart in order to know which filters are best, versus which ones aren't, & that may not be such an easy task.

BTW, you are hinting that you used online sources (C) as a way to conclude the recommended filter membranes, but it could still be from "A B & C" combined, as listed in my previous message. ;)

I vote for ditch the project and go with syringe filters with a polypropylene housing, then buy sterile depyrogenated vials from medlabsupply on amazon for 60 bucks total and filter directly into them. If you use MCT Oil get a syringe with a silicone plunger.

I vote for ditch the project and go with syringe filters with a polypropylene housing, then buy sterile depyrogenated vials from medlabsupply on amazon for 60 bucks total and filter directly into them. If you use MCT Oil get a syringe with a silicone plunger.
Choose Nylon, pvdf or ptfe membrane filter. Hydrophobic ones will filter the oil faster (Nylon is hydrophilic) but pvdf and ptfe i belive is natural hydrophobic. Regenerated Cellulose is another one that would work, but hydrophilic. Consider surfuctants and wetting agents. RC and nylon from Whatman are free from those chemicals, They can be extracted if you use an aqueus solution, i dont know about oils, but i am guessing they can be extracted there too. RC filters from Whatman can be sterilized by all methods. PVDF from Millipore can be by steam. PTFE is however toxic and carcinogenic so i would avoid it if you can, the cheaper ones are the worst. Millipore pvdf can go down to 0.1 micron and be found both hydrophobic and hydrophilic. Whatman makes polyamide filters too wich are a little more hydrophobic and a little more chemical resistant. Nylon are cheapest. And can also be used to filter your l-carnitine and homemade BAC.
Awesome share!

So you seem to be very experienced and knowledgeable with homebrewing and choosing the correct tools, filters, etc..

If you were to use the filtration kit that I've shared earlier instead of the syringe filters into the vials method, which filter would you personally use out of all of the ones that you've previously mentioned?

Since you and JetsFan have both already mentioned both PVDF & Nylon filters, I'm thinking more so toward Nylon since they seem to have better prices than the PVDF filters. Would you settle on the same if you were using this filtration kit mentioned above?

And thanks again for sharing your experience with us all.

Nylon is a good choice. The problem is the glass frit i am assuming it has. it is difficult cleaning(at least so i heard) And the lack of a stainless steel support screen to keep the membrane in place, you would also need a pressure cooker and a uv light sterilizer for baby bottles to sterilize and dry it properly. And that does not cover pyrogenes so you might get test flu. On the upside it has a glass joint connection to the erlenmayer so you avoid phtalate contamination. I am no expert i have just read a lot on this subject.

This might work.

So here is another image the filtration vacuum kit that I have my eye on. It comes with the following "nylon filter membrane":

- Nylon Filter Membranes with 0.22 μm pore size.

- Filtration Apparatus is compatible with 42-60mm membrane filter paper.

- Nylon 66 Filter Membranes, diameter of 50mm/ 2.0inch, used for most filtrations of organic solutions and water solutions.

- Commonly used in industrial and academic laboratories for filtering particles, bacteria and other substances.

More details about the Nylon Filter Membranes:

- 66 Filter Membranes:

- Pore Size: 0.22μm

- Diameter Outside: 50mm/ 2.0inch

It says that this whole Vacuum Filtration Kit/Package Includes:

1 Piece 1000mL filter flask

1 Piece 300mL graduated funnel with lid

1 Piece aluminum clamp (above 3 pcs are all packed in one box)

50 Pieces Organic Filter Membranes Sheets

Ha04726d3004f457e93f767e6e2aa3c61r.jpg

Hbff14c38d0b04de781c61aaca213ff29k.jpg

Also, here are some images of the PVDF & Nylon filter membranes that I've also found:

PVDF-paper-filter-membranes-50pcs.jpg_640x640.jpg

Nylon2.JPG

Also, if I buy the nylon filter paper membranes separately from another supplier, here's what their description says about their 50pcs of paper....

Nylon Membrane:
 It features of good hydrophilic, high mechanic strengths, high resistance to acids and/or alkalis, resistance to high temperature of 80 Celsius-120 Celsius and good chemical resistance. The product is applied for most organic solvents and water solutions.

AND THEIR PVDF FILTER PAPERS DESCRIPTION SAYS THE FOLLOWING....

PVDF Membrane:
This kind of membrane is with features of multi-application and high-temperature resistance. With high strengths, good flexibility and chemical compatibility, it is designed to meet the demanding requirements of chemicals filtration, and is the ideal and economic substitutes for PTFE. This kind of membrane also possess good heat-resistance and chemical stability, is able to stand acids, weak alkalis, various organic (aliphatics, aromatics, alcohols, phenols or ethers) and/or inorganic solvents, is with strong negative electrostatic and hydrophobic, and is a kind of new-type fine filtration membrane suitable for not only sterilization, micro-particle removing of liquid solutions, but also dehumidify, sterilization and dust-removing of gas substances.

So would you say that these are the right nylon filter membranes and the proper vacuum pump filtration kit to get the job done?

Also, how could Streptococcus pyogenes survive through the high temperatures of a pressure cooker, & the UV light or not to mention the heat from the heated plate magnetic stirrer and benzyl alcohols? Are you sure that you're not just over-thinking the sterilization aspects a little LOL?

Thanks again for sharing your experience with us all.

Last edited:
It's a nice setup, but lots of work to sterilize and hard to find sterile filters for it that are actually sterile.