The smith machine needs to die

I just want to say that I love the Smith machine!! I don't use it alot but when I do it's because I need it!! I can train past failure safer is my main reason because usually train alone. No spotter.
Bent over rows I get better lat activation on Smith then I do barbell. I appreciate the Smith machine and the gap it helps me fill in my training.

I just want to say that I love the Smith machine!! I don't use it alot but when I do it's because I need it!! I can train past failure safer is my main reason because usually train alone. No spotter.
Bent over rows I get better lat activation on Smith then I do barbell. I appreciate the Smith machine and the gap it helps me fill in my training.
Honestly I only hate it for squats but that may change tomorrow when I stop being hard headed and just turn around like @Smashshit suggested. I'm really hoping that helps

I honestly don’t mind the smith machine but I rarely use it anymore. I did back when I first started tho. These days I see a lot of new guys using it.

It's been for a while, if it didn't extinct then it probably has some use.

I don't like it, but I know more advanced bodybuilders than me who use it and say it's great.

I prefer free weights and machines, body weight stuff too. But just because I don't like doesn't mean nobody should. That's the way I see it.

I don't really use it often, but I do like it for shrugs (for the fixed ROM), so that I'm not hitting the bar against my d*ck

Or I'm trying to do ultra slow, controlled rows with a heavy squeeze at the end of a back day, it's nice for that function too

Well my opinion has changed. I'm glad I kept using the smith for squats. As far as the knee tweak I believe it was from leg extensions and not the smith squats. The smith squats just re-aggravated the knee and me feeling awkward squatting in the smith machine made it easy to blame it all on the smith machine's fixed motion.

Without the smith machine I really wouldn’t be able to do squats at all unless with a safety squat bar which most gyms don’t have. I just can barely grab the bar behind my back.

It has its uses. Unlike the prowler.

Like many things it can depend on how they are used as to whether they have benefit or are a crutch.

Well my opinion has changed. I'm glad I kept using the smith for squats. As far as the knee tweak I believe it was from leg extensions and not the smith squats. The smith squats just re-aggravated the knee and me feeling awkward squatting in the smith machine made it easy to blame it all on the smith machine's fixed motion.
Extensions can put a shear force on the knee that is not the normal way the leg/knee gets loaded in real life.

The goal here is muscle hypertrophy. We try to do it safely.
I agree. Hence the reason to know what is actually happening so informed decisions can be made. One persons safe is another person risky. We all have our own opinions.

I don't really use it often, but I do like it for shrugs (for the fixed ROM), so that I'm not hitting the bar against my d*ck

Or I'm trying to do ultra slow, controlled rows with a heavy squeeze at the end of a back day, it's nice for that function too
My Johnson gets clipped just doing the barbell rows that I do like fixed ROM, I would say nuts too but not much in that department these days.lol

Fixed ROM on shrugs is not my favorite for the reason u said but also I get a better squeeze with dumbells that's my go to but I dont even have to do much trap work.

But i did built good traps with a shrug machine like this, but most football players do have great traps. 2 schools i went to had them, I havent seen 1 in years.Screenshot_20240415-092354_Chrome.jpg

Back