Thoughts on email providers

Discussion in 'Security, Privacy & Anonymity' started by allenpdx, Apr 1, 2014.

1. DAS Bench

DAS Bench Junior Member

I have seen a few people use securenym.net
    Im going to look into this for now.

2. graniteman

graniteman Member

securenym is a usa based server, not good. countermail is the top shelf

DAS Bench likes this.
  3. beedix

beedix Member

Doesn't really matter where it is located. The government will tap a provider at the router in the USA or outside the USA. The NSA leaks indicate this.

If you want as much security as possible, a small provider and pgp is your best bet.

4. Unleashed

Unleashed Member

5. beedix

beedix Member

Exactly, if they want it they will get it. Precautions are the best you can do.

"Trusted certificates" from verisign will be about the same as plaintext...you don't become trusted in the us without a government backdoor :)

Even if you take crazy precaution to secure between you and the mail server, if the link between provider and recipient email is not secure, it won't matter.

When it comes to email, it's impossible to secure without pgp and avoiding identifying information in the mail headers. Avoiding "secure" providers and high profile providers will be about the best you can do. Think small.

6. Mike Oxbig

Mike Oxbig Member

True, but the idea is to make it as difficult as possible.

An end-user is only going to warrant so much effort.

DAS Bench and Unleashed like this.
  7. Unleashed

Unleashed Member

^^^ I agree!!

8. I use countermail.

It offers 4096 bit PGP encryption, has servers hosted outside of the US, and allows for alias e-mail addresses forwarded to your actual account.

9. DAS Bench

DAS Bench Junior Member

If you fwd the message, do you break the encryption code? or open it for someone to intercept?

10. DAS Bench

DAS Bench Junior Member

I guess the best advise is if you are in the selling business, persae, you are best with a paid PGP account?
    But if you are just wanting some more privacy? which would include your general email communications and online purchases? that a countermail or hush mail would be good for encrypt, ip scramble?

11. MANWHORE

MANWHORE Member

I use safe-mail for very long
    Now, I also have Countermail".

No no, I mean Anonymousspeech... It's paid for

My counter mail trial ran out... I used it for just one order long ago

12. bigrobbie

bigrobbie Member

Safe-mail is heading down the same path hushmail did...been coming a while now.

Securenym.net is like $60 per year and IMO, its worth it to keep LE from knocking on the door. ;)

13. DAS Bench

DAS Bench Junior Member

I agree Bigrobbie, if you are going to use it more than a few times for emails... Persae I think it pretty much pays for itself in peace of mind