Training for Hypertrophy: The function of Intensity, Volume, Recovery and Injury Prevention

Welcome to Meso-RX @BigTomJ :D
Thank you for writing up and sharing!

I saw another article on that forum I believe not too long ago (author not stated). It agrees with some of your points but also offers some counterpoints. Your article and the one below are both good reads for those considering different training programs and ideas on how to approach this lifestyle we live.

Instead of living in research journals, arguing on the Internet, and postulating wildly about matters of training and diet, I usually just try something and see how it works. Sometimes these experiments lead to "ah-ha" moments – the realizations that change everything.

AH-HA MOMENT #1: YOU CAN'T OUT-TRAIN A CRAPPY DIET​

The first time I completed a real bodybuilding-style diet, I remember being shocked by the results. Looking in the mirror I thought, "Now this is what all the workouts, all the fasted morning cardio, and all the fat burners were supposed to be doing!"

What was this magic diet? Nothing much; I just lowered carbs. The point is, I was stunned at how fast the fat came off. I learned right then that you can't out-train a poor diet.

Another time, years later, I adjusted my diet for fat loss and adopted Chad Waterbury's ABBH program. I lost about 10 pounds of body fat on this cutting plan. I upped my calories and carbs and did the same training program a couple of months later, and this time I gained 10 pounds. Same lifting program, different results.

The lesson is this: Hard training is the car, but diet is the steering wheel.

Most people focus solely on the training program. They skip the nutrition articles and go straight to the "Build Boulder Biceps!" articles.

"What's the best workout for mass gains?" they ask on forums. "What's the best training program for fast fat loss?"

But the truth is that major changes in body composition are driven more by how and what you eat, not by the specifics of how you lift weights or the type of cardio you do. High reps or low reps? Steady-state or HIIT? Full-body training or splits? If your diet sucks, it doesn't really make a difference.

Yes, you want to be training hard using big movements and lots of free weights. That's a given. But the results of that intense training are driven by the food you eat.

Always chubby-looking in spite of hours in the gym every week? It's your diet.

Always scrawny-looking in spite of using all the popular "get freakin' hyooooge" supplements? It's your diet.

If you aren't satisfied with your physique and your progress in improving it, it's most likely not your set/rep scheme, split, tempo, or exercise choices. It's your diet.

Most people are animals in the gym and wimps in the kitchen. They'll train hard and try any grueling workout program, but they don't have the willpower to choose the right foods at the right times in the right amounts. And their physiques reflect it.

Take control of your diet, once and for all, and you're guaranteed to have your own ah-ha moment.

AH-HA MOMENT #2: EFFORT TRUMPS TRAINING PROGRAMS​

There are men in just about every gym in the world who don't squat, use too many machines, lift with poor form, and curl in the squat rack.

They don't keep training logs, either. They ignore post-workout nutrition, they use partial movements, they do too much steady-state cardio, and they use a lot of isolation exercises. In short, they break all the supposed "rules."

And they look bigger and more muscular than you, Mr. 10,000 Forum Posts – the guy who does everything "right."

What the hell is going on? Well, some of them may have great genetics and use steroids, but a lot of them don't. So what's their secret? One word:

Effort.

They strain, they push themselves, they hit it with everything they have in every workout. And that effort, that crap-a-kidney, hold-your-breath, can't-help-but-grunt effort, trumps any magical training program from the latest Internet guru.

Effort is key. Train brutally hard. Make that vein in your forehead stick out. When you come close to blacking out when you rack the weight, you're doing it right.

You can go to the gym seven days a week, hold dumbbells, and lay on benches all you want. But you can't reach your physique goals through osmosis. Your gym attendance doesn't mean shit if you're not sucking wind, fighting nausea, and soaking wet after a workout.

All that said, programs are good. They force you to train in new ways you may not have tried on your own. But a poor program performed with intense effort will be more effective than the "best" program performed lackadaisically.

Hint: If you're lifting with one arm and talking on your cell phone with the other, your effort level is lacking.

Yes, choose a good program from one of the many experts here at Testosterone Muscle, but worry less about the minutia of the program and more about the effort you put into it.

AH-HA MOMENT #3: STEROIDS CHANGE THE GAME​

I touched the steroidal hot stove more than 10 years ago. It was a short little experiment, and I decided quickly it wasn't for me, but I got it. I learned firsthand that steroids make a huge difference in every aspect of bodybuilding.

If a steroid user offers you training or diet advice, take it with a grain of salt. What works for a drug user may not work for you. In fact, some of the worst lifting, eating, and supplement advice comes from steroid users.

Steroids have changed the rules of the game. They allow for a whole lot of wiggle room when it comes to hypertrophy training, recovery, strength training, athletic training, diet, and just about everything else.

Sometimes the steroids keep the lifter ignorant. After all, why does he need to learn more about training and nutrition when he's already bigger than just about everyone else? What he's doing in the gym is effective (because of the drugs), so why seek more knowledge?

This often leads to the steroid user giving up on bodybuilding altogether once he's off the sauce: he just doesn't know how to make progress without drugs. And psychologically he can't handle going to the gym every day and watching himself get smaller. Sadly, his attitude becomes: "I'm not using, so why even bother?"

Steroids and related drugs don't work without effort, of course, but swallow enough pills and inject enough juice and just about any training and nutrition program will work. If I hear one more meathead talking about how well XYZ training program works or how effective liquid creatine is while he's sticking a couple of grams of anabolics in his ass every week, I swear I'll puke.

Sorry, but if you're a heavy juicer, your advice has very little value to the natural trainee. If a person wants really good info, he'll talk to a natural lifter who's accomplished the same goal he's chasing, not the local 'roid monkey.

AH-HA MOMENT #4: IT'S ABOUT BODY COMP, NOT SCALE WEIGHT​

I started seriously lifting weights when I weighed 159 pounds. At my heaviest trained weight I was around 230. And you know what? I looked like crap.

It was psychologically painful to accept the fact that I looked my best under 200 pounds. After all, that 200 mark had been a goal when I weighed 159. But what's the point of getting "big" if a whole lot of that bigness is just excess body fat? I didn't look good, I didn't feel good, and women didn't turn their heads. But hey, I was "big" and the other chubby guys in the gym would slap me on the back.

I had to learn to ignore the scale and focus on the mirror, and the mirror told me I was still carrying around too much fat. It took the Velocity Diet to finally get me below 10% body fat.

And yeah, I'm now (gasp!) under 200. Sure enough, a few of my "big" friends at the gym like to give me a hard time about it. That's okay. My last three girlfriends were a Playboy model, a figure competitor, and a former NFL cheerleader. So I don't mind so much that my "full blown" buddies at the gym don't like my scale weight.

I didn't (entirely) write that last part to brag but rather to make a point: If you're an experienced lifter who trains mainly to look good, then another bulking diet when you already sport love handles may not be the answer. It may be time to simply drop the body fat and see what's under there, scale weight be damned.

For years we've heard the advice, "You gotta eat big to get big." And while it's true that you need adequate calories to build muscle optimally, you don't need so many calories that it spills over into excess fat gain.

Gross overeating and the accompanying fat accumulation leads to no more muscle gain than just eating adequate calories. "Adequate" may mean higher than maintenance, but it doesn't mean bingeing on junk foods.

As men who like to eat, we really want to believe that we should pig out on just about anything we want. That's fun, and after all, eating is classified as a sensual impulse, just like the sex drive. So, it's not hard to convince most guys to eat a lot. It's pleasurable. But the "just fuckin' eat" attitude is bullshit rationalization, thin excuse-making, and, when it comes right down to it, laziness.

This super-size-me attitude has led to a generation of hard-training chubby guys who either think they have to overeat all the time to get bigger or who've been doing it for so long that they've developed bad habits and wrecked their health.

Know what else? Breasts on men just aren't that attractive. Neither are pregnant bellies. Do you train to impress the other fat guys in your gym, or do you train to impress yourself and the opposite sex?

If it's the latter, then drop the fat. You may be surprised. Assuming you have some muscle under there, you may even look "bigger" after dropping a couple dozen pounds, like Testosterone Muscle reader Gus Pancho below.

Gus Pancho

Gus looks more muscular today (pic on right), even though he's about 40 pounds lighter.

You've built the muscle. Now uncover it. Think body composition, not scale weight.

AH-HA MOMENT #5: LISTEN TO EVERYONE, IDOLIZE NO ONE​

In spite of their ridiculous drug use and Zeus-like genetics, I've learned a thing or two from pro bodybuilders. Say what you want about them, but the top guys have Ah-Ha Moment #2 above nailed.

I've also learned lots of things from coaches who specialize in athletic performance. The same is true for powerlifting coaches, strongmen, and Olympic lifting experts. But the worst thing I've ever done is embrace one training philosophy while disregarding all the rest.

Sorry performance coaches, but curling works, at least as far as bodybuilding is concerned. So do leg presses and several machine exercises. I get tired of hearing performance coaches bash training techniques and exercises that have built thousands of great physiques over the years. These exercises may not be "functional" or carry over to sports, but they build muscle, and that's good enough for the aesthetic bodybuilder.

On the other hand, performance coaches have taught me a lot about posterior-chain exercises and how some types of performance training can also lead to hypertrophy and rapid fat loss. I've also learned that sprinting makes my butt look good. So thanks for that.

And I'm sorry powerlifting coaches, your DVDs about how to shorten the distance the bar has to travel so I can bench more weight just don't apply much to me. I don't compete, and I only bench to build my chest, triceps, and other pushing muscles. I wanta long range of motion because it makes me work harder and helps to build more muscle. But thanks for the great tips on bringing up the triceps. You guys know more about triceps training than a lot of bodybuilding experts.

And sorry Olympic lifting dudes, I just don't give a rip about your sport or the lifts it involves, but I'll use some of them because they give me better traps.

Are you getting the idea here? Don't close your mind to any type of training, but don't swallow the Kool-Aid either unless you plan on competing in that specific sport. Most of us are just average guys who want to train hard and, well, not look average. We're not elite athletes or competitive bodybuilders with our hearts set on the Sandow.

But we can take a little from every discipline and use that knowledge to make us better: bigger, leaner, stronger, healthier, whatever your goal.

This is the time in the article where I'm supposed to paste in that wise but overused Bruce Lee quote. You know the one. And if you don't, you should.

AH-HA MOMENT #6: THE MORE YOU COOK, THE BETTER YOU LOOK​

The title of this one says it all, but let me add this:

Since I've been flexing my culinary muscles I've never once come across a recipe that called for trans fat, high-fructose corn syrup, or any of that other garbage you find in packaged foods and even some restaurant meals.

Funny how that works.

AH-HA MOMENT #7: IT'S ALL IN YOUR HEAD​

Back in college I battled obesity while at the same time getting a psychology degree. Now that was an ah-ha moment as those two worlds – the study of behavior and physique transformation – came together.

Fat people know why they're fat. And they generally know what to do to get rid of it. They're not ignorant. They know, but they just can't do.

Whether it's fat loss or any other aspect of improving your body, knowledge isn't power; applied knowledge is power. And that begins in the head. Telling the overweight person not to eat crap foods is like telling the alcoholic not to drink.

No shit, Sherlock.

You must go deeper to really make a permanent, healthy change. Make no mistake: Psychology – the mental aspects of training and nutrition – is the beginning, middle, and end of your bodybuilding story. It's not just foundational; it permeates every level.

Behavior modification, bad habit removal, good habit installation, defense mechanisms, motivation, mood, and a hundred other topics fall under the umbrella of psychology. Ignore that stuff and your dream physique will remain just that: a dream.

AH-HA MOMENT #8: HEALTH MATTERS​

Try worrying about your calf development after your doctor tells you that you might have cancer or heart disease.

It can't be done.

Health and the pursuit of longevity are just as important as big muscles and shredded abs. None of those things matters much without basic good health.

This is why I now believe that your supplement dollars should first go to things that can help prevent disease and maybe even extend your life. Things like Flameout and Superfood come to mind immediately.

Be smart: Work to add years to your life as well as life to your years.

WRAP-UP​

My ah-ha moments may not be your ah-ha moments. That's okay. We all have different backgrounds, different genetic predispositions, and different goals.

But maybe I've given you a few things to think about. Hopefully you'll try out a few of these ideas and experience your own epiphany worthy of a resounding "ah ha!"
Привет! За что тебя забанили? вроде толково рассуждаешь

его забанили, потому что он тролль. в нем нет ничего умного
Понятно. Но он вроде пытался донести какую-то мысль.
С удовольствием прочитал твоё первое сообщение в этой теме,разместил его на одном популярном в России форуме, если ты не против. Мне очень близки твои мысли.

The following is an article I wrote for UGBB, and i believe it would provide some value here as well.

There has been a lot of debate on the subject of Hypertrophy in regards to training to failure, reps in reserve methodologies, volume, and injury risk. From what ive witnessed is a lot of this stems from a simple misunderstand on what these terms actually mean in most cases, a simply outdated view on the topic, or an unawareness/misunderstanding of the current body of literature we have on these topics.

In this article I aim to outline and define these terms for the communities greater understanding, give an overview of the most current literature we have as it pertains to these topics, and dispel some of the deep rooted, for lack of a better word, broscience surrounding these topics leftover from an era where we did not have access to the level of information that we do today.
Additionally I will be outlining what these terms mean to you, the lifter with the goal of hypertrophy, and how they all fit together for you to make the most out of your training.

Who am I?
A lot of you already know me, but for those that dont, and for those that stumble across this article later, I'm Tom.

I am, at the time of this article, 30 years old, 6' tall, and 240lbs, and my best in competition lifts in the 110kg raw category are: 255/180/300kg or 561/396/661lbs.
I am a competitive classic physique and heavyweight bodybuilder, competitive power lifter, and coach with over a decade of training experience. On top of that I am a tremendous nerd that has spent countless hours researching all things bodybuilding and strength sports, and I'm learning more every day.

While this article will mostly be targeted for a bodybuilding context, there is a heavy overlap into strength sports and powerlifting.

For starters we will define the various terms in the topic of this article.

What is hypertrophy?
Hypertrophy is the process by which we increase the SIZE of muscle fibers within a muscle group.
This is accomplished through the application of mechanical tension. Mechanical tension is a term to describe load, over time, placed upon a muscle through a targeted range of motion. The more common term, time under tension, can also be used to describe mechanical tension. It is, in essence the stimulus required to drive adaptation. Through this adaptation, an increase in the size of the muscle cells occurs, this is Hypertrophy and is the primary goal of bodybuilders, and most gym goers.
Within a given set, of any given load, the last 5 repetitions before failure stimulate the most hypertrophic response, while the reps prior to 5 RIR providing very little hypertrophic response.

What is Training to Failure?
Training to failure is exactly as it sounds, taking a particular set until you cannot perform another rep, through the full range of motion, with good form.
Based on the most recent data available training to failure (sometimes expressed as RIR-0(zero reps in reserve), or RPE10 (rate of perceived exertion 10/10) produces the absolute most hypertrophy in a given set, furthermore there are two types of failure; Positive failure, which is the point at which you cannot complete another repetition in the full range of motion without compromising form. and Absolute Failure, which is the point that under no circumstances can the muscle perform another complete repetition, regardless of form compromise.

Training "beyond failure" is a disingenuous term and inaccurate, training beyond failure in an absolute sense, is impossible.
"Training beyond failure" through the use of drop sets, forced reps, spotter assistance, and other intensifier techniques do not actually progress you beyond failure in an absolute sense, but only allow you to get close and closer to true failure.

For example, lets say you are performing an incline dumbbell press, you fail at 8 completed reps, but are able to push halfway to the 9th rep before you lose stability and cannot complete the rep, this is positive failure. If you utilize a spotter to aid you in getting that 9th rep, and aid you even more for a 10th rep, you have used intensifier techniques to get closer to true failure. You are no longer capable of providing enough force to complete that rep alone with that weight, so the use of a spotter takes some of that load to allow you to progress through the complete range of motion, getting you closer to actual failure.

What is intensity?
Intensity can be defined as "proximity to failure". Intensity is NOT fatigue, it is NOT feeling completely wiped out at the end of a set or workout, intensity is NOT going balls to the wall on some crazy super set or drop set, intensity is NOT heavy weight low reps. Intensity ONLY refers to proximity to failure in a training context. Intensity can be expressed with any weight, in any rep range.
Intensifier techniques (drop sets, forced reps, partials, ect) are tools used to get us closer and closer to true mechanical failure.

What is volume?
Volume can be separated into two categories, working volume and junk volume.
Working volume, is the number of working, adaptation driving sets for a given muscle group in a given session. Junk volume is any non-warmup, non-workup set, a set which does not stimulate a significant hypertrophic response. Examples of junk volume would be; pump sets, any set not taken to proximity of failure, supersets of more than one muscle group which neither is taken to proximity to failure (super setting leg extensions and leg curls with neither taken close to failure). These are referred to as junk volume, because they provide little to no hypertrophic response or adaptation and only contribute to fatigue and injury risk. In other words, they are worthless and counterproductive for building muscle.
Volume, when referring to rep ranges in a single set, is Set Volume. For the purposes of this article, and when discussing the topic of intensity vs volume in general, "volume" is referring to number of working sets.

What is recovery?
Recovery is the rate by which you can regain full capability in a muscle group after training. Additional fatigue from either intensity or volume increase recovery time. Recovery can be defined, for our applications, as "The time it takes after a session, to be able to train that muscle group again at the same or greater performance".
The absolute best way to gauge recovery is through performance and progressive overload, if you are coming into your leg days and consistently performing less than the prior week, recovery is the culprit. Conversely, if you are feeling good and progressing consistently on a given training day, your recovery is great.
In order to maximize our training blocks, we need to minimize the time we spend fully recovered in between sessions, If you are recovering several days before your next session, than you have a lot of room in your training to either add volume (as defined here) or frequency.
It is generally better to increase individual training session volume (more working sets) to achieve Maximum Recoverable Volume (MRV), given that you are capable of adding more productive working sets to your session. If a single session is too fatiguing to add additional meaningful volume, then rather than falling into a hole of adding useless junk volume, it is better to increase frequency (reduce the number of days between training sessions for that muscle group

How they all work together
Now that these terms have been fully defined and explained we can move on to how these pieces fit together.
Hypertrophy is a function of intensity and volume limited only by recovery.
As ive discussed, training intensity on working sets should be a constant IE you should be training to failure or at least in very close proximity to failure.
If we think of this function like an equation is would look something like Intensity * Volume / Recovery. If we consider intensity as a prerequisite and a constant, that leaves volume and recovery as our working variables. Additionally we can assume recovery is a constant or at least relatively constant, given proper recovery practices (nutrition, supplementation, sleep, PEDS, stress management, ect).
So now that we have two relative constants that shouldn't change much week to week, our only variable remaining is volume.
If you want the most out of your training the goal now is to achieve MRV. We achieve this by titrating up and down working volume such that we are getting the most work in, but still recovering.

How to leverage your recovery periods to get the most out of your split
As ive touched on already, if we want to make the most out of our training week or block, we need to properly manage recovery periods such that we are fully recovering by the next time we hit a specific muscle group, but not spending copious time fully recovered, we grow as we recover, so any time not spent recovering is time spent not growing.
To minimize the time spent fully recovered we have two options, 1) increase working single session volume, or 2) increase our frequency. Both are effective options and one may be more favorable depending on the number of training days you have in a block, length of your training block, and individual work capacity.

If you are someone who leaves the gym after a session with no gas left in the tank, meaning it would be exceptionally fatiguing and near impossible to add more single session working volume to your training session, or if you are someone whos training is time limited, increasing frequency is your best option to minimize that amount of time spent fully recovered.

Conversely if the opposite is true, and you typically leave the gym with some work capacity remaining, and do not have a time constraint, adding a few more working sets is a great way to make the most out of your recovery periods.

What about injury risk?
A very common misconception is that training at a high level of intensity poses a greater risk of injury. This belief system is largely due to the misconception that high intensity training requires higher working loads in lower rep ranges. As stated earlier in this article, this is not the case, training with a proper level of intensity and even training to positive failure can be accomplished with any weight in any rep range between 5 and 30 reps.
There is currently ZERO evidence that training to failure intelligently poses any greater risk of injury, in fact the opposite is true. Higher volume training and higher repetition movements are a large contributor to systemic fatigue and common injuries such as tendonitis. Assuming proper form is maintained, proper load selection, and proper management of recovery periods, you are at absolutely zero additional risk of injury by training to failure than not.

Should we train to failure?
Based on our current understanding of the literature available, if you want to make the most progress out of your training, the answer is an undeniable "Yes".
It is currently suggested by the literature that hypertrophic response increases proportionally (and in some studies increasingly) with proximity to failure, with the majority of this response occurring between 5-0 reps from failure (some studies suggest 7-0). It has been shown time and time again that individuals grossly underestimate their RIR and are incapable of judging failure, without reaching it. Even for the most experienced individuals, whom train to failure regularly, consistently underestimate how many RIR they have. While training a rep or two away from failure has been shown to be effective at driving hypertrophy, consistently and accurately estimating a rep or two shy is a near impossibility.
For this reason, you, as a serious lifter, should be take at least some of your sets to failure.
You are at no greater injury risk, and while training to failure is exceptionally fatiguing, with proper rest intervals between sets, the overall session fatigue will be less than if you made up those reps with additional volume, which is far more fatiguing.

For example lets take two options for a particular movement.
3 sets of 10 to failure, yielding 15 total hypertrophy stimulating reps
or
5 sets of 10 with 2 reps in reserve, also yielding 15 total hypertrophy stimulating reps
Even assuming you estimated your RIR perfectly (which you almost certainly didnt) the 5 set option would be more fatiguing for almost everyone.

A Note on Effective Reps
As discussed in this article, we touched on how the last few reps before failure are the most effective
and driving hypertrophy according to the current literature.
@BigBaldBeardGuy (UGBB) has provided a great breakdown on force production and why this is the case

A note on motor unit recruitment and neurology.
@BRICKS (UGBB) provided some very useful insight and additional context on the subject of neurology and motor recruitment.

I hope this article clears up a lot of the confusion and misconceptions regarding these various terms and the topic of hypertrophy and that folks find it useful.

Sources directly cited, referenced, or used in this article.

Maximizing Muscle Hypertrophy: A Systematic Review of Advanced Resistance Training Techniques and Methods. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2019 Dec 4;16(24):4897. doi: 10.3390/ijerph16244897. PMID: 31817252; PMCID: PMC6950543.

Exploring the Dose-Response Relationship Between Estimated Resistance Training Proximity to Failure, Strength Gain, and Muscle Hypertrophy: A Series of Meta-Regressions

STRENGTH AND HYPERTROPHY ADAPTATIONS BETWEEN LOW- VS. HIGH-LOAD RESISTANCE TRAINING:ASYSTEMATIC REVIEW AND META-ANALYSIS

Chris Beardsley - How many stimulating reps are there in each set to failure?

Muscle Activation Strategies During Strength Training With Heavy Loading vs. Repetitions to Failure

I can’t believe Tom wrote something that lacked sarcasm and didn’t call somebody a pussy. I’m just kidding. That was great, brother. Thank you for your time and research. Excellent breakdown in definition in terms and not over-sciencey or used too much jargon in your writing. I unfortunately don’t usually have a spotter to help out on those last couple reps like you were referring to at the beginning of the article, but I’m going to be more mindful of taking everything as close to failure as possible as my approach. I’m currently training around an injury and surgery (torn left pectoral tendon), but even in my PT, I’m going to try to take it as close to failure without pain as possible. Thanks for the article. Good stuff.

I can’t believe Tom wrote something that lacked sarcasm and didn’t call somebody a pussy. I’m just kidding. That was great, brother. Thank you for your time and research. Excellent breakdown in definition in terms and not over-sciencey or used too much jargon in your writing. I unfortunately don’t usually have a spotter to help out on those last couple reps like you were referring to at the beginning of the article, but I’m going to be more mindful of taking everything as close to failure as possible as my approach. I’m currently training around an injury and surgery (torn left pectoral tendon), but even in my PT, I’m going to try to take it as close to failure without pain as possible. Thanks for the article. Good stuff.
Good luck with your recovery, pussy!

Lot's "wrong" with bro splits, specifically the SRA for all the muscle groups is far from optimally taken into account and thus you're leaving a lot of growth left on the table.

I dont disagree at all.
I dont believe bro split is the best split for literally any goal. I would never put any client on a bro split for any purpose.

but like any split, its efficacy is in how its applied. a 4 day bro split is not that far from a PPLA split. at the end of the day, your training split should be governed by recovery intervals rather than some other sort of arbitration like ""monday is chest day"

My only point with that comment is that a persons preferred split doesnt matter for shit, no matter the split, if intensity isnt being met and recovery periods arent being respected.
So what are the splits that are so optimal then for hypertrophy.

The split which you can get good single session fatigue but still recover in time for your next session, with frequency such that you don't spend several days fully recovered.

Doesn't matter if it's ppl, upper lower, ect ect

What @BigTomJ said.

A very important factor is the SRA curve for specific muscle groups. This means how long a certain muscle needs to recover. For example biceps, recover very quickly and if you train them only once a week, you're missing a lot of growth.

However, there is one important fact most miss; you don't want all of your muscles to grow at the same time. You can't, that's too much volume. So every mesocycle needs to prioritize certain muscle groups over others. In practice this means that you'll have for instance; lats, chest and quads volume high enough to stimulate hypertrophy and other muscle groups will be on maintenance volume level's or some maybe on a very slight growth volume. All of this is ofc tailored to ones individual recovery capacities - but the general rule applies; some muscles are on growth mode and others are on maintenance, you don't ever really try and grow all at once except for newb's or first cycle's, etc.

My issue with Mikes MRV landmarks is they are fucking absurd. If im training to failure each set, truly to failure, theres no damn way i can get anywhere near Mikes MRV landmarks for a given muscle group in a week and still hope to recover. I find his MRV landmarks to be far too ambitious. Now maybe thats just cause im a fucking bitch? I dunno.

As to bigTom,

Ive never trained for endurance BUT let me ask, if someones training 30 reps and reaching absolute failure by the end, is that still hypertrophic? Per the science, the answers yes. But then, is it also simultaneously promoting endurance?

When someone is training for endurance (again, i dont so im unfamiliar), are they aiming for failure by the end of their weirdly high rep range, or are they intending to leave a lot left in the tank?

How does endurance training differ from hypertrophic training, and can they co-exist in one set (i.e. 30 reps but to total failure by the end) or do they cancel eachother out (going to failure inhibits endurance progression)?
There is something known as "Interference Effect".
However it isn't something I concern myself with as I'm sure it's negligible.

Interference between concurrent resistance and endurance exercise: molecular bases and the role of individual training variables

There is something known as "Interference Effect".
However it isn't something I concern myself with as I'm sure it's negligible.

Interference between concurrent resistance and endurance exercise: molecular bases and the role of individual training variables

When we see hypertrophy from rep ranges as high as 30-40 reps, i think we can say that thats not anything to worry about.

If you were training for endurance i assume you wouldnt go to failure in most cases, but for hypertrophy you would want to take them to failure, or atleast 1-2, maybe 3 reps away from failure.

The intereference effect is exaggerated by a lot of people, consider how much cardio prepping bodybuilders do. As long as your performance in the gym isnt effected by the cardio you are doing, i dont think theres any reason to worry.

Theres more and more evidence that shows the interference effect isnt really a thing until you get to a certain level of endurance exericise which seems to be pretty high, more than what most people would do, or have time to do.

Great write up mane! I just wanted to write that many (shit most of us me included) tend to overthink tf outta training but the one real only truth is that what works for one person might work less for another n viceversa, in my case I enjoy varying rep ranges n found that training like a power lifter on the main lifts actually helped me out a fkton hypertrophy wise too so ever since I found out that’s how I enjoy training too I’ve been doing main lift stuff like 8-10 sets of 3-5 reps (including a couple warmups n then a couple back off sets) then doing secondary movements with a bit higher reps but still in the 8-15 range (unless I’m doing sum light arm work at the end of a hard workout so there I just go for like high af reps just for tha pump), imo too many have become dogmatic about training n seem to be afraid to either experiment or to accept that other styles work too, there’s so many conflicting arguments n people will defend their style to the fkin death but the ONE TRUE VARIABLE is HARD WORK, CONSISTENCY and ENJOYMENT of your training as unless you actually like what you do you will rarely bust your ass as hard as others who do n same goes for consistency.

But yeah imo the main point of any training program or style that works for pretty much anyone (as far as ik, ofc then there are people like serge nubret who do weird ass shit n it still works for em) is to progressively get stronger n add weight, reps or sets (so increasing volume in that case), everything else is another variable but if you train hard n eat well n a lot of protein you are going to grow.

Sorry for the rant I fw this post n find it super annoying that most lifters nowadays (idk why I’m talking like I’m old af I’m 30 n my generation probably was one of the first piece of shit generations when it came to sticking with stuff) don’t put in anywhere near the effort needed to succeed n then find a myriad of excuses like ‘oh nah only people on gear train that way’ or ‘oh nah that’s only for ones with elite genetics’ or ‘blah blah blah trying to explain I’m not a sobbing pussy that won’t go hard in the gym so imma just act like mentzer was right n go once a fortnight cos yeah optimal recovery’ ahah sorry but it’s fkin nuts how much everyone complicates stuff that is not so complicated once you get down to business (I’m talking bout other people not most of y’all n definitely not Tom he knows his shit, but spend even a second on yt or Reddit n you will start goin into rage mode reading some of the retarded shit they write)

Great write up mane! I just wanted to write that many (shit most of us me included) tend to overthink tf outta training but the one real only truth is that what works for one person might work less for another n viceversa, in my case I enjoy varying rep ranges n found that training like a power lifter on the main lifts actually helped me out a fkton hypertrophy wise too so ever since I found out that’s how I enjoy training too I’ve been doing main lift stuff like 8-10 sets of 3-5 reps (including a couple warmups n then a couple back off sets) then doing secondary movements with a bit higher reps but still in the 8-15 range (unless I’m doing sum light arm work at the end of a hard workout so there I just go for like high af reps just for tha pump), imo too many have become dogmatic about training n seem to be afraid to either experiment or to accept that other styles work too, there’s so many conflicting arguments n people will defend their style to the fkin death but the ONE TRUE VARIABLE is HARD WORK, CONSISTENCY and ENJOYMENT of your training as unless you actually like what you do you will rarely bust your ass as hard as others who do n same goes for consistency.

But yeah imo the main point of any training program or style that works for pretty much anyone (as far as ik, ofc then there are people like serge nubret who do weird ass shit n it still works for em) is to progressively get stronger n add weight, reps or sets (so increasing volume in that case), everything else is another variable but if you train hard n eat well n a lot of protein you are going to grow.

Sorry for the rant I fw this post n find it super annoying that most lifters nowadays (idk why I’m talking like I’m old af I’m 30 n my generation probably was one of the first piece of shit generations when it came to sticking with stuff) don’t put in anywhere near the effort needed to succeed n then find a myriad of excuses like ‘oh nah only people on gear train that way’ or ‘oh nah that’s only for ones with elite genetics’ or ‘blah blah blah trying to explain I’m not a sobbing pussy that won’t go hard in the gym so imma just act like mentzer was right n go once a fortnight cos yeah optimal recovery’ ahah sorry but it’s fkin nuts how much everyone complicates stuff that is not so complicated once you get down to business (I’m talking bout other people not most of y’all n definitely not Tom he knows his shit, but spend even a second on yt or Reddit n you will start goin into rage mode reading some of the retarded shit they write)
There are for sure a thousand ways to skin a cat. This article is mainly just for points of consideration in terms of optimizing training to our best current understanding of the mechanisms of hypertrophy, and how to apply that understanding.

Of course, with everything, consistency is king.

a person who practices a training methodology that might be considered "less than optimal" on paper, such as your example of preferring some low rep range powerlifting style training blocks, but is consistent with their training, nutrition, and recovery, will get far better results than someone who overthinks their training to be as optimal as possible, but misses a training day every other week.

All the points for optimization are marginal benefits at best. the difference in growth for someone who regularly trains to failure vs a couple reps in the tank is likely going to be overshadowed by simple genetic components.
so, outside of the serious, competitive bodybuilder, whatever training style that you enjoy, that you can adhere to and sustain long term is going to be the best for you, so long as they are at least close to the base principles of training for hypertrophy.

I dont train most of my own clients by the above outlined principles so zealously (other than promoting training intensity) simply because the level of optimization in regards to leveraging recovery intervals and such, simply arent applicable to most people.
My bigger concern with clients isnt training "optimally" but rather to create a plan that works with the other aspects of their life and schedules which they can consistently work towards their goals in the long term.

There are for sure a thousand ways to skin a cat. This article is mainly just for points of consideration in terms of optimizing training to our best current understanding of the mechanisms of hypertrophy, and how to apply that understanding.

All the points for optimization are marginal benefits at best. the difference in growth for someone who regularly trains to failure vs a couple reps in the tank is likely going to be overshadowed by simple genetic components.
so, outside of the serious, competitive bodybuilder, whatever training style that you enjoy, that you can adhere to and sustain long term is going to be the best for you, so long as they are at least close to the base principles of training for hypertrophy.

I couldnt agree more with this, especially the overshadowing of the genetic differences in reponse within people.