Trump Timeline ... Trumpocalypse

President Donald Trump and his outside advisers are increasingly worried that his longtime personal attorney might be susceptible to cooperating with federal prosecutors.

Two sources close to the president said people in Trump’s inner circle have in recent days been actively discussing the possibility that Michael Cohen — long seen as one of Trump’s most loyal personal allies — might flip if he faces serious charges as a result of his work on behalf of Trump.

“That’s what they’ll threaten him with: life imprisonment,” said Alan Dershowitz, the liberal lawyer and frequent Trump defender who met with the president and his staff over two days at the White House last week. “They’re going to threaten him with a long prison term and try to turn him into a canary that sings.”

Jacob Goodwin, a self-proclaimed white nationalist, was charged with injuring a black counterprotester in the wake of the August Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville, Virginia. As Goodwin awaits trial, his parents become increasingly more involved in Goodwin’s extremist group, following a gradual path to their own radicalization.

Last week, the United States launched an act of war against a sovereign government because failing to do so would have cast doubt on the credibility of the statements that Donald Trump makes while livetweeting Fox & Friends.

That may sound like hyperbolic snark, or the premise of an Andy Borowitz column, but it is a plain description of the rationale behind last Friday’s missile strikes in Syria, according to multiple military and administration officials.

Last Tuesday — amid reports that the U.S. was considering a strike against the Assad regime, in response to an alleged chemical weapons attack against civilians in Douma — Russia’s ambassador to Lebanon Alexander Zasypkin warned that “if there is a US missile attack, we … will shoot down U.S. rockets and even the sources that launched the missiles.”

The Fox & Friends morning crew took exception to this bluster, with one host arguing, “What we should be doing is telling the Russians, ‘Every Syrian military base is a target and if you’re there, it is your problem.’”

President Trump views the North Korean crisis as his “great man” of history moment.

The big picture: He came into office thinking he could be the historic deal maker to bring peace to the Middle East. He’s stopped talking about that. There’s very little point. The peace deal looks dead and cremated. But Trump wants to sign his name even larger into the history books, and he views North Korea as his moment.
  • Sources close to him say he genuinely believes he — and he alone — can overcome the seemingly intractable disaster on the Korean Peninsula.
  • A source who has discussed North Korea with Trump: “He thinks, ‘Just get me in the room with the guy [Kim Jong-un] and I’ll figure it out.’”
  • But, but, but: His aides are much more skeptical, and some believe the idea of meeting with Kim Jong-un is naive and guaranteed to be fruitless.
Trump “definitely thinks it’s a duel of personalities,” says another source familiar with his thinking about North Korea:
  • “There are important strategic considerations ... but he also very much conceives it as a test of wills and of a contest of one man and another. How they’re going to react, how they’re going to shadow box with each other, and ultimately how they’re going to choose to act.”
  • “During the war of insults between Trump and Kim last year, Trump’s tweets and ‘little Rocket Man’ were pretty carefully calibrated — in his mind, was more intentional, not just popping off.”
  • “He never clearly articulated what he was trying to do. But it seemed he wanted to demonstrate he and the U.S. were unafraid, prepared to take whatever steps necessary and were willing to be direct. He wanted to show dominance over Kim.”
  • “This was something he took a personal interest in and was personally invested in. I’m not sure people thought it was a coherent strategy, and certainly I don’t think the Pentagon signed off on it.”
Be smart: Trump mostly projects strength internally. But there’s also been at least one quiet moment when a source saw Trump reflect on how he doesn’t know what Kim is capable of.
  • That happened during the escalating verbal sparring between Kim and Trump last year: “The stakes had moved so far beyond what he’s dealt with before, he definitely became aware of that.”
P.S. Trump on his planned summit with North Korea, speaking last evening at a joint press conference at Mar-a-Lago with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe:
  • " If we don't think it's going to be successful, ... we won't have it. ... If I think that it's a meeting that is not going to be fruitful, we're not going to go. If the meeting, when I'm there, is not fruitful, I will respectfully leave the meeting."

Cohen wants to avoid discovery in these civil suits that might compromise his defense if/when he’s charged with criminal indictments.

Here’s the saddest sentence I’ve heard this year
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/opinions/wp/2018/04/19/heres-the-saddest-sentence-ive-heard-this-year/?utm_term=.0d7496166c79 (Opinion | Here’s the saddest sentence I’ve heard this year)

The catalogue of damage that President Trump is doing to America is large and thickening. Probably the greatest damage will be to the planet: its climate, its wildlife and ecosystems, the people who will die or be displaced by its ravages, and the political systems that will be undermined or ruined by the resulting instability. The second greatest will probably be to equality among Americans, both economic and social.

That would be damage enough, but it goes even beyond that. I was stunned when an acquaintance, one who had evidenced a great deal of effort to do the right things in their professional life, said something I had never heard anyone put so bluntly before: “There isn’t much incentive to live a life of integrity.” And there it was. The toxin poured forth in all its undistilled clarity.

I fumbled for a reply, and came up with one, but having to address the thought at all reveals what is different now. This was something that you assumed didn’t need discussion. Trump has put it right out there in our faces. His message and example couldn’t be clearer. Act out of self-interest only. Break the rules if you can get away with it. Take advantage of people when you can. The measure of success in life is in fame and dollars.

Trump didn’t invent any of that, of course, but up until now it was viewed — no, KNOWN — to be deviant and antisocial. People understood that a life of integrity was the normal way of living; partly its own reward, and partly the necessary glue that held a society together. And now Trump, with his lawyers and alleged affairs and hidden tax returns, and secret deals, and threats and belligerent evasions, is setting the new American standard. Now people will ask themselves, as a matter of routine: What is integrity worth, anyway? Can they get away with something they benefit from personally? Integrity will be for nobody but suckers. A bad genie is coming out of the bottle.

Our last chance to put it back in is to make certain that Trump does not get away with this.

UNDER THE BUS
https://claytoonz.com/2018/04/19/under-the-bus-2/

There’s talk in the media that Donald Trump needs to worry about his attorney/fixer Michael Cohen flipping on him. A former attorney of Trump’s told the Wall Street Journal that it’s basically guaranteed. Trump talked to a lawyer who went straight to the press to blab about it. So much for attorney/client privilege.

To remind us how much of a buffoon he is, Trump called Cohen. Cohen has been known to make recordings between himself and clients, all three of them. So, maybe calling a guy under FBI investigation wasn’t the smartest move. Who’s to say Cohen hasn’t flipped already or that the FBI isn’t bugging him? I think Donald should call him again.

Maybe Trump should worry less about Cohen flipping and be concerned about his ambassador to the United Nations, Nikki Haley. MSNBC’s Joe Scarborough, who is occasionally an idiot, said Nikki Haley will run for president in 2020, and she’ll win. She is not going to run for president in 2020 unless Trump is no longer the incumbent. But, she does have every right to flip on Trump.

Haley endorsed Ted Cruz for president, and then she endorsed Marco Rubio. She criticized the tone of Trump’s campaign and refusal to release his tax returns. She was on hand and laughing along, when Rubio made all the Trump small hands jokes. Now, she works for Trump and is currently residing in sycophantville, where the weather is always stormy.

What changed for Nikki to go to work for Donald Trump? His tone hasn’t changed. He still hasn’t released any tax returns. His hands are still tiny.

Last Friday, Nikki went on CBS and said the Treasury Secretary would announce new sanctions on Russia by Monday if he hadn’t already. The Republican National Committee issued talking points on the new sanctions. Monday came and went without any new sanctions announced.

Reportedly, the president was upset and even screaming and cursing at his television over Haley’s comments. There are not going to be any new sanctions. It’s highly unlikely that Haley was winging foreign policy on live TV or that she had not received an agenda from the administration.

Trump has thrown people who work for him under the bus before. He’s done it to Sean Spicer, Sarah Huckabee Sanders, H.R. McMaster, and Kellyanne Conway. The White House publicly threw Haley under by sending economic adviser Larry Kudlow out to say that “Haley was confused.” This read more like “the little lady was confused.”

Nikki shot back with “with all due respect, I don’t get confused.” This was delivered in the same style of “bless your heart,” which she tweeted at Trump in 2016 when he said South Carolina was embarrassed by her.

Kudlow quickly apologized and tried to get out of the way as fast as possible, but he got scorched. Everyone gets burned who works for Donald Trump. Don’t they see what he does to those who work for him? Don’t they see he doesn’t have loyalty? Don’t they see he destroys career prospects? Haley in 2020? After working for Trump she’ll be lucky to land a gig next to Omarosa on Big Brother.

Nikki, get out now. Get out! Get out! Get out! Get out like you’re the black guy in a horror movie. Get out!!!!

Next time Nikki Haley gets throw under the bus, she’s going to look less like a future presidential contender and more like roadkill.

DbJ33kNU0AAq6uh.jpg