Trump Timeline ... Trumpocalypse

Why do I see “Huckabee” and think “Frigidaire?”

She looks like such a typical wife of trump supporters.

According to James Murphy’s translation of Hitler’s “Mein Kampf”:

“In the big lie there is always a certain force of credibility; because the broad masses of a nation are always more easily corrupted in the deeper strata of their emotional nature than consciously or voluntarily; and thus in the primitive simplicity of their minds they more readily fall victims to the big lie than the small lie, since they themselves often tell small lies in little matters but would be ashamed to resort to large-scale falsehoods.”

The text continues:

“It would never come into their heads to fabricate colossal untruths, and they would not believe that others could have the impudence to distort the truth so infamously. Even though the facts which prove this to be so may be brought clearly to their minds, they will still doubt and waver and will continue to think that there may be some other explanation. For the grossly impudent lie always leaves traces behind it, even after it has been nailed down, a fact which is known to all expert liars in this world and to all who conspire together in the art of lying.”

And since Trump took office, America has lost much of its global standing. It is no longer considered a beacon of tolerance and democracy, and is seen as uninterested if not hostile to much of the rest of the world. A Gallup poll in early 2018 found that global confidence in U.S. leadership never has been lower, and China now stands in higher overall favor.

My anecdotal experience is consistent with this data. When I was in Nigeria last year, a cab driver in Lagos cackled to me that “Now America finally has a Nigerian president!”

The days when America was a model democracy that other countries aspired to are largely past, at least for the time being. America is now exporting the notions that corruption and intolerance are a perfectly normal part of the executive branch of government, even in the world’s No. 1 economic and military power. Furthermore, it is not obvious how much the legislative branch — Congress — will check these abuses, especially if the Republican majority remains in power.

Over time, those ideological “exports” may prove a bigger problem than any particular misguided Trump policy. Trump too, is an innovation, and various populist right and alt-right parties around the world have taken comfort and drawn inspiration from his rise. Again, focus on the same general point that has made the American capitalist system so potent:Follow the ideas.

While I am not a Trump supporter, I do find many foreigners’ criticisms of America (and, sometimes, Trump) are overstated. The U.S. economy is doing fine, ordinary Americans remain mostly tolerant, and questions about Trump are being promptly and thoroughly investigated. (Contrast the Mueller investigation with Germany’s failure to officially investigate the strong connections between former Prime Minister Gerhard Schröder and the Russian gas giant Gazprom.)

Still, all Americans have to live with these misperceptions, however unfair or incomplete they may be. In other words, part of the job of the president of the global hegemon, namely America, is to put up with criticism and maintain a brave face nonetheless. Trump has been spectacularly bad at that. Furthermore, a lot of these perceptions do ring true, such as the notion that Trump is using the presidency to enrich himself, that he engages in petty bickering, and that he simply is not well-informed about foreign affairs.

It is a truism that ideas have consequences. Nevertheless, we neglect it at our peril.

WASHINGTON — President Trump on Tuesday added his former White House aide, Omarosa Manigault Newman, to the growing list of African-Americans he has publicly denigrated on Twitter, calling her “that dog” and a “crazed, crying lowlife” in the wake of her allegations against him of mental deterioration and racism.

Even for a president who consistently takes to Twitter to assail his adversaries, the morning tweet about Ms. Manigault Newman was a remarkably crude use of the presidential bully pulpit to disparage a minority woman who once served at the highest levels in his White House.

In recent weeks, Mr. Trump has called Don Lemon, the black CNN anchor, “the dumbest man on television.” He questioned the intelligence of LeBron James, the star basketball player for the Los Angeles Lakers. He has repeatedly said Maxine Waters, an African-American member of Congress, has a “low I.Q.” He called LaVar Ball, the African-American father of another famous Lakers player, a “poor man’s version of Don King.”

On Tuesday, Mr. Trump made clear that he has no intention of moderating his language when he feels under attack, regardless of the criticism that he gets for breaching the comity that normally accompanies the office of the president.

The president has been lobbing insults at Ms. Manigault Newman as she promotes her new book, “Unhinged,” about her time in the White House. But calling her a “dog” was jarring, even as he described her as a “crazed, crying lowlife” in the previous sentence.

If I were in Paul Manafort’s shoes, I’d have a reasonable amount of confidence that the government could successfully place me (and my wife) in a witness protection program, but I’d have no confidence that this would protect my extended family. Are his adult daughters and their families going to also disappear off the grid? How about other family members, mistresses, or other people I care about? The truth is, as long as a nation-state that is indistinguishable from a violent organized crime family is bent on punishing me, I’m not going to feel like the people I care about are safe.

This may be the real reason Manafort won’t talk. He still owes Oleg Derispaska somewhere around twenty million dollars–and he has no prospect of repaying that debt in cash. All he can do is keep his mouth shut and hope that’s enough to get some forgiveness on the debt.

Waldman thinks Trump will ultimately pardon Manafort, but only after the second trial, which will cover his dealings with Ukrainians and Russians. The problem with this prediction is that Manafort needs charges hanging over him to invoke his right against self-incrimination. If he’s pardoned for most of what he could conceivably be charged with, he could be compelled to tell the special counsel what he knows or face fresh charges of contempt and obstruction of justice. Is he really going to count on either Mueller to give up or Trump to counter every new charge with a fresh pardon?

Maybe things really will get this weird and broken, but I think the reason Manafort hasn’t already been preemptively pardoned is that it would not solve Trump’s problems. In fact, it probably would exacerbate them. Even for congressional Republicans, there’s a limit to how nakedly Trump can obstruct the investigation and get away with it. He has not fired Jeff Sessions or Rod Rosenstein, for example, and he’d run into similar problems if he started pardoning Manafort for refusing to cooperate with investigators when he faces no prospect of self-incrimination.

And Manafort can still face state charges, particularly in New York, and I don’t see the pardon card as much of an option for Trump. If he’s desperate enough, maybe he uses it and maybe Manafort can avoid spending his life in prison. But it would not solve Trump’s problems or make all of Manafort’s go away.

Legal experts have said the nondisclosure agreements for the campaign and the White House are most likely not legally enforceable. But people close to the president said he hoped to send a warning shot that anyone else who attempts a tell-all could face legal fees, among other headaches.